Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hitachi's e-paper goes wireless

Hitachi presented at a private show their idea of future e-paper technology. Expecting to hit markets by April 2006, the 13.1 100dpi monochrome display will feature 802.11b WLAN technology and enough space for a secondary battery. Although valuable treats to equip a e-book reader with, the technology has one caveat: it takes about 10 seconds to switch from one screen image to the next.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

That's quite a caveat. Could be a deal killer for most. 10 seconds is an eternity for reading.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You did notice that they didn't intent it for e-book readers (yet)? From the article referred to:

Quote:
The company is planning to place it on the market at a lower price than LCD panels in around April 2006, targeting applications such as signboards at public buildings.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I'm sure that the latency will go down in time with technological advances. I'm just loving the technology for it's future potential. Is this the same e-paper that's flexible? I have an idea that would use this e-paper, but the paper needs to be shaped.

Time to research papenting procedures.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:20 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think this is the flexible paper Fujitsu and E-Ink are working on.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcher23
That's quite a caveat. Could be a deal killer for most. 10 seconds is an eternity for reading.
Er? Can you read a page in ten seconds? I can not. So a two-sheets book would make the trick.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
If it takes 10 secs to change after i read the text and whant to proceed...
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Not so bad if you're just reading a book, but 10 seconds is unworkable if you're browsing a magazine, or newspaper, or reference manual, etc...
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
pitcher23
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Er? Can you read a page in ten seconds? I can not. So a two-sheets book would make the trick.

How long it takes you to read a page is irrelevent. You only change the page after you are done reading it. Then you have to wait 10 seconds to read the next one.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcher23
How long it takes you to read a page is irrelevent. You only change the page after you are done reading it. Then you have to wait 10 seconds to read the next one.
When reading fiction, I could easily live with that latency, given that there is enough text on one page that I don't have to switch pages every 2 seconds.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #11
pitcher23
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
When reading fiction, I could easily live with that latency, given that there is enough text on one page that I don't have to switch pages every 2 seconds.
Maybe I am missing something, but don't you change pages after you finish reading the page? or would you change it halfway through, knowing that you had 10 seconds of reading left on the page you are on?

If I took 5 seconds or 5 minutes to read a page, I would still have to wait 10 full seconds to wait for the next page to come up when I finished reading the page I was on. To me, this is too long and frustrating a wait.