Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2022, 11:22 PM   #46
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I didn't come on to the scene until relatively late with E-readers, so mine would be the Paperwhite 4. The 3 was my first ereader and I was excited on the upgrade and changes (waterproof, etc), but the screen and speed after years of waiting was a disappointment for sure.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:33 PM   #47
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamug View Post
Another thing: the power button! It's placed on the bottom of the device, where I rest the reader against my hand, and it sticks out. The result was that I would always turn it off inadvertently several times per reading session. Made me want to throw it out the window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kindle and Kobo are still doing this.
???

On My Sage and my Libra H2O (1), the button is recessed and does not stick out. It's also only on the bottom if held with the left hand (as I do), so for most users, it would be at the top. Which Kobo devices have buttons at the bottom that stick out?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 02:15 AM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
On My Sage and my Libra H2O (1), the button is recessed and does not stick out. It's also only on the bottom if held with the left hand (as I do), so for most users, it would be at the top.
Huh. I thought the Sage and Libras had the sensible buttons on the back?

Quote:
Which Kobo devices have buttons at the bottom that stick out?
The Clara and Nia.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:04 AM   #49
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Huh. I thought the Sage and Libras had the sensible buttons on the back?
yes they do, hence my query as they're the only 2 I'm familiar with. I did have a Clara but only for about 6 weeks when I first switched to Kobo, upgraded to an Aura H2O2 and power buttons on the back ever since

Quote:
The Clara and Nia.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:52 AM   #50
teamug
I like buttons!
teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT (Graphite&2012), Kobo Libra 2, Moaan Mix7, InkPalm 5
Quote:
???

On My Sage and my Libra H2O (1), the button is recessed and does not stick out. It's also only on the bottom if held with the left hand (as I do), so for most users, it would be at the top. Which Kobo devices have buttons at the bottom that stick out?
Just to clarify, by bottom, I meant at the bottom edge. On your Kobos it's not at the bottom, it's on the back. I also have both the Libra models, and there is no problem whichever way I hold it. The Libra H2O/2 is an example of how it should be done. I breathed a sigh of relief when I switched from the Kindle Paperwhite to Libra H2O! A much more well thought out design IMO.

I have attached images of the power buttons on Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara and Kobo Nia. Kobo Nia seems to have a better design with a recessed button. The first image of the Paperwhite was found via Reddit, I'm not the only one to complain about this absurd design choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7445.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	851.7 KB
ID:	195087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7446.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	195088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7447.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	195089  

Last edited by teamug; 07-17-2022 at 09:17 AM.
teamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 07:03 AM   #51
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Ectaco Jetbook Color. The whole sorry saga played out here on Mobileread if you want to search for it (including company employees shilling the product here under fake accounts).
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #52
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
???

Same here. My K4nt button is near flush and takes a firm finger push to operate. (besides, it is in a case, so it is even further back.) I used to rest it on my cat and never had issues. OTOH the charg port was next to the button and that WAS an issue if you wanted to read while charging (I have a 10' USB cord)

Both My Kobos are on the back. The Libra 2 is a pain, because it is at the 'hinge side' of the OPEN cover and requires almost 90deg of the cover to operate (I only close the cover when transporting between locations)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:26 AM   #53
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
My worst device was the Boox Poke 2 Color. The ghosting was so bad that it was borderline unusable.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamug View Post
I have attached images of the power buttons on Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara and Kobo Nia. Kobo Nia seems to have a better design with a recessed button. The first image of the Paperwhite was found via Reddit, I'm not the only one to complain about this absurd design choice.
At least the two Kobo ones look to be better designed than the Kindle. Even so, I have accidentally switched off my Clara due to the stupid button placement.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #55
teamug
I like buttons!
teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teamug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT (Graphite&2012), Kobo Libra 2, Moaan Mix7, InkPalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My K4nt button is near flush and takes a firm finger push to operate.
They should have kept this type of power button. If it's flush it's not an issue. Again I have to praise K4NT's design!
teamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:36 PM   #56
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
My worst would have to be my most recent purchase a year ago - Pocketbook Ink Pad 3 Pro. Thankfully I bought it at 50% off regular price (might have been a refurb, not sure now). I tried it a few weeks and then it went on a shelf and I went back to my Kobo Libra (1). I just pulled it out again a few days ago and can't even get it to open a book, despite updating the firmware and reloading all the books through Calibre. Covers are there, click on a title, hourglass spins and stops, still on the same library page.

I've had the Sony PR600 (excellent for its time), an early Nook (ok, not anything great but better than this Pocketbook), Kobo Glo HD (my favorite still!) and the Kobo Libra which isn't bad but i don't care for the square footprint, don't need buttons. But its screen is larger than my Glo.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:55 AM   #57
dstacy969
dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dstacy969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The first "Basic" Kindle with the thin clicky page-turn buttons. Man I disliked that thing.

That’s what I have and I love it. I hope it lasts forever so I never have to buy a newer model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dstacy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #58
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I should have known better. The Sharper Image Literati. Not only did it take 10-20 seconds to load a book, but the on/off button broke in the first month. so the only way to turn it on was a Reset, which took over a minute to boot.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:25 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy969 View Post
That’s what I have and I love it. I hope it lasts forever so I never have to buy a newer model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never had one of those Kindle's, but I do know someone that did and OMG! That thing was awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:53 PM   #60
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never had one of those Kindle's, but I do know someone that did and OMG! That thing was awful.
I loved mine while it was my first and only ereader. Nothing awful about it back then. Of course that was 10 years ago and it is unfair to compare it to modern readers. I wouldn't want to go back to it now either, but it was perfectly fine for me 10 years ago.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote