Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
Fenelire
Fenelire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
image cover disappearing between calibre and kobo

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do an ebook on calibre 3.31

I uploaded the image cover (jpeg) for my ebook (epub) in the metadata but when I try to visualise the book, it doesn't appear and when I send the book to my reading device (kobo), it doesn't appear there either...

When I try to edit the metadata there is an icon saying you have to chose the covert for the book from the selected format so I tried to upload jpeg, then png but it's not possible. Then I tried to put my cover in pdf because that was apparently ok but it still doesn't appear (also when you try to edit the book then, the cover is still in jpeg so I'm really confused ...)

I read somewhere there is an option to change when there is a cover problem with MOBI but I dit it in epub so... Maybe there is something similar to do ?

Also, my calibre is in french (yes I'm french, that also explain potential english mistakes, I think all the word know we are bad at foreign language) so I hope I'm translating all this correctly...

Thanks in advance
Fenelire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
When you add a cover to the metadata in the library, the book isn't updated to include the cover. That happen when you send the book outside the library (save-to-disk or send-to-device), or you use a function to update the book - Embed metadata, Polish book, a conversion or the Modify ePub plugin.

When you sent the book to the Kobo device, calibre will try to update the cover. But, for that to happen, calibre needs to identify the existing cover. If there isn't one, calibre can add the cover image, but not in a way that the Kobo devices can use. For an epub, Kobo devices render the first page of the book and use that as the cover. If the first page doesn't contain the cover image you want, then you will get something else as the cover. To make sure you get the cover in the book, I recommend using one of the above to add the cover.

You can also have calibre send the covers separately with the books when you send them to the device. In this case, the cover images are generated and put on the device in the correct place for the device to use them. There are several options for this in the KoboTouch driver. Or the KoboTouchExtended driver if you use that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Fenelire
Fenelire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Holy s*** ! I used Modify Epub like you said, 2 clics and it worked ! ! Awesome ! Thanks a lot
Fenelire is offline   Reply With Quote