Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Updating my Kindle Basic 8th Generation now. Thanks. I have had some issues with Basic occasionally locking up after the last update (but I liked the features). Also, the battery life seemed to be a little worse after the last update. That's why I just jumped in here. Besides, some of these new features look good.

EDIT: Install went fine. Still has issues with the one book I "sent to Kindle" and converted from PDF to AZW3. It somehow crashes the application. If I delete the book and then re-download it, it works for a while. Must be having trouble indexing it or something? EDIT 2: (PDF to AZW3 book still acting up. Deleted it. Must be problems in the conversion process.)

GoTo has been moved from the left to the right ... and the icons seem smaller. Or is that just my imagination? I like the battery percentage. I'm not sure if I'll use the preset page settings (but this reader is only used by me). At any rate no issues that weren't there already. I'll see if the battery life improves. (Airplane mode seems to fix that problem when I remember to use it.)

Last edited by rcentros; 10-17-2018 at 07:00 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
It appears they haven't dropped support for the 6th gen paperwhite yet, which is somewhat surprising to me in a way, but possibly not in other ways.
5.10.1 download for the 6th Generation Paperwhite is there now. It must have been an oversight.

Misread your comments ... replaced "haven't" with "have" in my mind. Sorry.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-17-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, the PW2 was the first device of its specific hardware generation, hence it being in the same bag as the Basic, KV & PW3.

Which explains why it still gets some love while the PW1 doesn't .

PSA: I *hopefully* just fixed the JB issues. Was an old and stupid bug, oops. Will put a giant warning in a dedicated thread in the dev forum when we've confirmed things are working as they should . [Done!]

EDIT: Bonus info I got from digging into this, in case this didn't already leak somewhere: this'll probably be the base FW for the PW4, which introduces another new hardware generation (codenamed Rex), while the device itself is codenamed Moonshine.
As usual, it looks like it's going to be released in approximately seven billion slightly different variants.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2018 at 07:51 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #19
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
... and the icons seem smaller. Or is that just my imagination?
The icons are smaller and now have label underneath so you can tell what they mean.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Nevermind, figured it out and edited post.

Exploring now...

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 10-17-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanpr View Post
Would this break a 1st Gen Paperwhite?
Iirc, last firmware update for 1st gen PW is 5.6.5.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I expected a little more. What did everyone else get?

Right now I see: Book you want to read, recommended for you, mystery & thrillers in kindle unlimited, and best sellers in kindle store

Don't see stats but maybe it needs a month of reading to add this up?

There isn't an option to choose which genre I want to display in Kindle Unlimited

The icons do seem smaller on the book page although that's not bothering me.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #23
Paperbackstash
Wizard

What does Low Vision mean when you press it on the themes? Im not seeing a difference when I press it.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
What does Low Vision mean when you press it on the themes? Im not seeing a difference when I press it.
You have to click SHOW to enable it. For me it selects Amazon Ember font with size 11 and boldness 4. Very large text.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The icons are smaller and now have label underneath so you can tell what they mean.
Thanks. Now I know I'm not crazy. I think, overall, 5.10.1 looks a little nicer.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #26
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You have to click SHOW to enable it. For me it selects Amazon Ember font with size 11 and boldness 4. Very large text.
Ah okay, got it working now. Huge font. Thank you
Old 10-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #27
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I've attached two screenshots that show the new Page Display drop-down menu and the Themes tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_ui1.png
Views:	545
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	166985   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_ui2.png
Views:	529
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	166986  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:37 AM   #28
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
After some fiddling with it, I think the theme settings feature is a really elegant approach to custom settings for different books. Not merely a replication of the analogue book (where every item has its own settings) but a nice adaptation for digital text.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #29
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
When did the battery level display start including a percentage? I never noticed it until this update but I suspect it was there before.

I read every day using my Kindle but I don't really study the Kindle every day. The books interest me more than the device. But, I have a Paperwhite 4 on the way.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
When did the battery level display start including a percentage? I never noticed it until this update but I suspect it was there before.
It could be enabled on the Oasis with older firmware, but I believe that it is a new feature for other Kindle models.