Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #46
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don’t think it’s possible to answer the OP’s question - ie provide a numerical figure for the number of people who read outside. Stating whether or not each of us as individuals read outside or not doesn’t bring us any closer to knowing how many people read outside.
Good and accurate point Harry, though possibly a little pedantic. Given the context of the posting (ie; in a reading discussion forum and posting the thread without a poll) I suspect we are probably giving the OP what he was seeking, though I cannot of course speak for him.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very possibly .

It's interesting, too, the range of interpretations of what "reading outside" actually constitutes that this thread has shown up. I took it to mean "reading in the open air", while for other people it includes reading in vehicles, on porches, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #48
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
in direct sunlight? I'm just curious, but that is always a talking point, and something Amazon features in Kindle advertisements. The recent threads about using smartphones and tablets to read with has made me wonder if reading around a swimming pool is a major thing.

I personally hate reading outside in direct sunlight. But in a nice screened in shelter with a comfy chair and a drink with an umbrella in it, and some nice quiet music playing in the background, game on! I will read with whatever is handy.
I read pretty much everywhere. A week ago I was meeting a woman in a park. Not surprisingly, she was late. Of course, I read while I waited. I was reading at lunch and sunlight streaming in through the window lighted the table. Not a problem.

I don't read at the beach because I avoid that much direct sun.

I can't remember ever reading in the dark.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #49
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Very possibly .

It's interesting, too, the range of interpretations of what "reading outside" actually constitutes that this thread has shown up. I took it to mean "reading in the open air", while for other people it includes reading in vehicles, on porches, etc.
I think the OP was thinking of reviews or commentaries on reading devices that mention whether they are suitable for reading in bright sunlight, and he was wondering whether many people here actually read in such conditions.

I mentioned reading in my car at lunchtime because it is a bright light situation. My e-ink reader is indeed much easier to read on than my phone in such bright light .
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #50
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm afraid this is the issue in a nutshell. Because listening to classical music while reading isn't an issue for you, you assume it can't be an issue for anyone, or if it is, it's because they don't like classical music. Basically you're projecting your own tastes and preferences onto everyone else as reasonable.

In fact, I like classical music. But I don't want it on in the background while I'm reading, ever. I can't read and listen to music and thus the music is just a distraction. Moreover, there's something about electronic noise that gets on my nerves and I can't just tune it out; I almost never watch television and part of that is that I hate the noise a television makes. If I'm somewhere with a television, I try to find another room. Waiting rooms where the tv is on are horrible. I can handle being an active listener, when I'm choosing to listen, but I'm a very bad passive listener.

Yes, some ambient noises are worse than others. Give me chamber music over heavy metal with a loud bass every time. But the justification that's used to foist classical music on unwilling listeners is exactly the same as that of the heavy metal fan, i.e., that "my tastes are or should be universal." Or, more briefly, "I don't care." Just don't. And there's no excuse these days; every music lover who wants to muck up the public air space should be using bluetooth headphones and having a private listen instead.
I couldn't have said it better myself. This is exactly how I feel. I don't read outside at home because there is usually two or three neighbors that seem to think that everybody should like their kind of music. I too am a very bad passive listener and while I do like classical music, not when I'm trying to read. So you're not alone

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #51
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I did not mean to imply that because I like classical music anyone else should. I was just trying to say that I don't find instrumental music distracting when used as background music.

I don't like having other people's music imposed on me and I would not play music of any genre round other people unless I knew they also wanted to hear it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #52
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
LOL! For the record, I don't HAVE to have music playing when I read! But new age, smooth jazz, and other innocuous music, does have a filtering effect when I'm outside on the deck. (Oh, look! a bird!).

Also for the record, I'm finding the talk about what "the OP meant" a bit unnerving! I'm not dead yet! And I've NEVER been so profound that anyone should wonder about what I meant!

It was really just a toss out question, I am happy with any response, I guess. I'm just trying to get a feel for how important the ability to read outside actually is to people. I'm thinking, "not very" from the responses.

I know it doesn't even play into my own personal decision making at all. I just want to know, as my Granddaughter would say, Am I 'normal' or 'weird'? (BTW, no need to answer that question, I'll figure THAT out on my own!)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #53
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I equipped my car, convertible, with a flat-even, well-matching-negative cushion on the backseats. I have (made) standard wadding-based pillows for support and polyesterene granule based - Gatto-Teodoro-Paolini like - pillows for fitting. It is a portable sofa to bring around for quiet, scenery and good air.
I fully trust that it is a good idea to go and read in "good spots". Air quality is an important factor. Indoors pollution can be orders of magnitude higher than outdoors pollution in general - even ruling out extremes. And indoors pollution can impact cognitive abilities.
As you move around in such a setup, it becomes evident how difficult it can be to find shade. You get to know your extended territory to find matches to all the requirements for a good spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But:

> and some nice quiet music playing in the background

No, just no. "Quiet music" is an oxymoron and always a distraction. I can read or I can listen; I can't do both. I hope if anyone else is in earshot you're wearing earbuds or headphones. Because being forced to listen to someone else's idea of background music is my idea of torture.
I *so* much agree with this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Having to hear loud music in 99% of stores is one reason I don't like to shop and we rarely go to restaurants because of the same issue
Brother/Sister!!! This was my lunchtime coversation today:
Me: «You did not have diffusion in the dehors before...»
Waitress [cheerful]: «Yes, it's new! Do you like it?»
Me: «It's a torture.»
Wairess [frozen]: «Ah. People ask for it...»
Me: «They are fools.»

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I use music to block out loud conversation around me when I read or am trying to focus on tasks such as programming. In a perfect world, [...]
Have you tried pink noise?
EDIT: I see (also given the post by haertig, which I initially missed) that the definition I had of "pink noise" is not the official one, which is frequency based. What I meant is, instead of white noise, intended as completely random, partially timbric noise, only "halfway" random.

Quote:
I really don’t think it’s possible to answer the OP’s question - ie provide a numerical figure for the number of people who read outside. Stating whether or not each of us as individuals read outside or not doesn’t bring us any closer to knowing how many people read outside.
Maybe nobody should be allowed to leave the room until the matter is settled, but the results would just be a preliminary gross divide.
Nonetheless, does not the phpbb engine offer the option for posting surveys?

Last edited by mdp; 09-15-2018 at 04:42 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #54
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I can't listen to music when reading. That is impossibly distracting for me. I usually read sitting in the waiting area before my wife and son's hockey team hits the ice. Usually there are 5 million screaming teenagers then, as they have "open skate" prior to the adult league games.

In this case, I have something playing on my tablet (earphones) while I'm reading my eReader. That something is "brown noise". I use it to drown out the shrieking teenie boppers, and it works wonderfully for that. Until I went looking for "drown out those annoying brats" sounds, I had no idea there was such a thing as brown noise. I knew about white noise, but that's too harsh for me. There is also pink noise which I found annoying as well. But brown noise is just right...

Example of brown noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B_erkJe-k

Example of "smoothed" brown noise (I like this better than regular brown noise, but haven't tried it vs. the teenie boppers yet):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWgjCDPiP4
Thanks for the links! I too like brown noise over white or pink, though I will take pink any day over white! "They" say brown is closer to the sound of surf whereas pink is more like a fan. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I do know I love the sound of the beach!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #55
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
That is being addressed by the music versus no-music posts.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #56
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Direct sunlight? Perhaps in winter, in summer.... no way (central Spain, sun is really strong). Reading outside? A lot, even walking.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I just want to know, as my Granddaughter would say, Am I 'normal' or 'weird'? (BTW, no need to answer that question, I'll figure THAT out on my own!)
There is no "normal." We're all weird.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #58
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I love classical music, this is what I perform on the piano. Currently working up some Chopin and Mendelssohn (and some Joplin as well - not classical, but fun as a finish-up at a performance to liven things up!) But I don't want to hear it while reading. The problem is distraction. I will become more involved in the musical performance than the book. That's not good for reading comprehension! Other genres - rap, etc. - don't move me to get involved in them, they move me to vomit. Which isn't good for reading comprehension either.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I know it doesn't even play into my own personal decision making at all. I just want to know, as my Granddaughter would say, Am I 'normal' or 'weird'? (BTW, no need to answer that question, I'll figure THAT out on my own!)
Perhaps a poll?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Have you tried pink noise?
EDIT: I see (also given the post by haertig, which I initially missed) that the definition I had of "pink noise" is not the official one, which is frequency based. What I meant is, instead of white noise, intended as completely random, partially timbric noise, only "halfway" random.
It really depends on the task at hand. I use nature sounds when I'm trying to do creative work. I listen to podcast and audiobooks where I'm doing repetitive tasks like testing programs. I use rock music at lunch because I'm trying to block out loud conversations which I find far more distracting that any music could be.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote