Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Smile If you have eye floaters a suggestion

I started having eye floaters five years ago. Like many people who get older these did not go away. It became more and more difficult to read. Some of the floaters were like looking through spiderwebs. Others threw a few dozen flying gnats into the mix. I went from reading for hours at a time to eye straining my way through a half hour session. I began to despair as reading was and is so important to me. Then, I tried a few settings on my iPads and Kindles. Both allow for black on white text, sometimes called inverted text. Wow what a difference, the eye floaters about disappear into the black background. The interference to the white text is minimal. If you are a fellow sufferer give the inverted text settings a try. I find both tablets and e ink both benefit. Just wanted to share this and good luck!

Last edited by Neil; 10-11-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:07 AM   #2
litemotif
Enthusiast
litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.litemotif ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook; Mini, H2O; Voyage, Oasis 2; Galaxy Note 8
Thanks for the advice, Neil.
litemotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I find that a very bright screen brings it out more pronounced. That's why I always dim my screens (if I compare the settings of my monitors right now, to the ones from my collegues, mine is decidedly yellowish and dark :P)

(and I never knew those things were called floaters!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
WTH are eye floaters???? If you are talking about cataracts, there is a simple eye surgery that can take care of it.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
WTH are eye floaters???? If you are talking about cataracts, there is a simple eye surgery that can take care of it.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372346

I've had floaters since my teens, linked to a bout of Lyme disease. I find eink or non-illuminated LCD screens to be pretty comfortable -- the floaters really show up with an illuminated screen, like a typical tablet.

Note that a sudden increase in floaters can be an indication of a serious problem, and you should get medical advice.

Last edited by cromag; 10-11-2018 at 06:54 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
See this link from the Mayo clinic: Eye floaters .

My wife suffers from them and to her, it looks as if a semi-transparent flake drifts across her field of vision. If she moves her head suddenly, it's like shaking a snow globe and trying to look through it. They bother her more since her cataract surgery as they are now much more visible.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-11-2018 at 11:08 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #7
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I have them as well and also tinnitus which makes it difficult to read at times. Black background might be nice but hate reading on the ipad.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #8
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wish!!! Nope, totally different from cataracts. There is no treatment, no cure, nothing really. There is one guy in SF who uses a laser to bust them apart but it can also result in worse and is held in deep contempt by the medical community. Basically, crap from the back of your eye sloughs off and floats around. Young people get them and they are usually just temporary as they float to the bottom. Older people get them, their inner eye fluid is thicker, and they stay maybe forever. Or at least long enough to be as good as forever at a certain age. Because of the demographics there is no cure research being done at all in this area as there is no way for Big Pharma to make any money. If they don't price a discovered cure high, they would not get back their research costs let alone profits. If they price it high enough to be profitable most of the older demographic could not afford it and Medicare would not cover it so, again, Big Pharma would lose.

I can still drive and everything and they really only bother people in certain circumstances. If you look at the blue sky, for example, there they all are. Or if you look at a bright, white screen -- voila.

So much worse is possible so I never really complain about them. But I was excited to get my three hour reading sessions back and thought this Forum would be a good place to post what was working for me.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
Neil
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I have them as well and also tinnitus which makes it difficult to read at times. Black background might be nice but hate reading on the ipad.
The Kindle Oasis in the accessibility setting has an option to invert the screen. I think it is on the Voyager as well and maybe on the Paperwhite.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The Kindle Oasis in the accessibility setting has an option to invert the screen. I think it is on the Voyager as well and maybe on the Paperwhite.
Kindles are hard to come by in Canada and I like my Kobo.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Kindles are hard to come by in Canada and I like my Kobo.
Check the Kobo forum--I'm pretty sure that there is a patch that allows the inverted text for Kobos, as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader has a pretty good "Night Mode".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372346

I've had floaters since my teens, linked to a bout of Lyme disease. I find eink or non-illuminated LCD screens to be pretty comfortable -- the floaters really show up with an illuminated screen, like a typical tablet.

Note that a sudden increase in floaters can be an indication of a serious problem, and you should get medical advice.
I've had floaters all my life and just attributed it to my generally bad eyesight, no diseases or anything weird ever happened to me. I finally asked my eye doctor what they were when I was 12 and got contacts for the for the first time, so I've always known what they were. I've only had a few small ones in each eye, and I sometimes would play at trying to "see" them before they floated away out of my vision. If they ever get worse though (68 now and they seem the same as always), it's good know the white text on black will make it be almost unnoticeable, as I love reading.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
And just a side note, everyone knows if you have a sudden increase of floaters, or a large floater appear, (or a flash of light) you should probably get in touch with your eye Dr. There is a chance it could be a detached retina. Especially as we all get older. My husband had the flashes and a huge floater appear suddenly. Eye Dr. wanted to see him that day. Luckily it was not a tear or detachment, just getting older.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
My husband had the flashes and a huge floater appear suddenly. Eye Dr. wanted to see him that day. Luckily it was not a tear or detachment, just getting older.
Possibly Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD)? Unfortunately, I've been through that for both eyes, 12 months apart. The first time was quite frightening, I was a bit more relaxed about the second time. Luckily (??? ) the 'huge floater' became lots of little floaters within a day.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote