Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Have ebooks killed the second-hand paper book market?

I used to haunt second-hand books stores. I bought and sold there. How else could I get enough to read?

But now I hardly ever go in. And if I do, it's to try to sell. The stores near me all seem to have more stock than they can handle. Charity shops are reluctant to take books.

Has the ebook killed the second-hand paper book market? Or is it something else? Or is this just my perception, and the second-hand paper book market is fine?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I don't buy secondhand paper books very much anymore. I'm actually considering trying to get rid of some of the paperbacks I have.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 01:39 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Has the ebook killed the second-hand paper book market? Or is it something else? Or is this just my perception, and the second-hand paper book market is fine?
I don't think eBooks have completely killed 2nd-hand bookstores, but they've definitely hurt them. We're fortunate to have a small used book chain in DFW area called Half Priced Books. They also sell online.

https://www.hpb.com/home
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I don't buy secondhand paper books very much anymore. I'm actually considering trying to get rid of some of the paperbacks I have.
Ditto, only replace "very much" with "not at all".

I used to buy quite a lot. Mostly using Alibris and Abebooks, as foreign used books are few and far between here. But not since 2011, when I bought my first Kindle. At least Alibris and Abebooks still exist...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think the second hand book market is fine. The shops have been closing down for years now, and just about all that is left is the charity shops. People aren't buying second hand books anymore. I don't think the new book market is doing all that great either. Basically, people aren't reading paper books like they used to. I don't know if ebooks have made up the difference, or if it just comes down to people not reading as much, period. I suspect the latter. If the move away from written technical documents to videos is any indication, people just don't want to read anymore. If there isn't a youtube video for it, then it may as well be written in hieroglyphics.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 03:16 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I used to haunt second-hand books stores. I bought and sold there. How else could I get enough to read?

But now I hardly ever go in. And if I do, it's to try to sell. The stores near me all seem to have more stock than they can handle. Charity shops are reluctant to take books.

No - it was the internet. You can get used copies of just about any book and at a low price, so why go to a store?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No - it was the internet. You can get used copies of just about any book and at a low price, so why go to a store?
The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Many (perhaps even the majority of) independent second-hand bookstores also sell online these days (eg via the "abebooks" network).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I could see the potential for a hybrid store. Store accepts used paper book and sells a electronic scan including the cover.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:07 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Many (perhaps even the majority of) independent second-hand bookstores also sell online these days (eg via the "abebooks" network).
Atlanta, my home town, use to have a number of used book stores. The major ones closed down some years ago. Any that are left are small shops with very specific clientele. They closed down well before ebooks were a thing, Oxford the biggest and best known closed in 1997. I think that they were hit by a combination of big box chain bookstore such as Barnes and Noble and the very narrow profit margin that left them vulnerable to big downturns in the local economy. Supposedly, one of the major factors in Oxford closing shop was the inability to service a loan they had taken.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Remember when the corporate bookstores would have five or six tables of remaindered books. I was getting a paperback for $10 on day and found the hardback on the remaindered table for $2. Changes in publishing technology have drastically reduced the number of books left over. Life goes on.

I live in Oaxaca, Mexico. For years, I bought used paperbacks at the English language library. Tourists would arrived in Oaxaca with paperback books and leave without them. Then I got my first Kindle in 2009. Suddenly, I could read what I wanted and not what I could find. Tourists could bring a Kindle instead of paperbacks. The supply of used paperbacks to the library dwindled. They still have used paperbacks but not nearly as many.

I miss finding a jewel in a used bookstore but I wouldn't want to go back to reading what I can find instead of what I want to read.

I have consider selling a Kindle cover that gives readers the feel and smell of used paperback books.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
exactly - they moved to where the customers are
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I buy more second-hand books than I used to. What I don't do so much any more is buy new paper books, so I don't know who is left to start the chain.

I think ebooks have made me care less about owning the physical product, so I'm happy to "rent" a used book and then pass it on again when I'm done. I will do this if I can't get the ebook at a price I'm willing to pay.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I could see the potential for a hybrid store. Store accepts used paper book and sells a electronic scan including the cover.
I could see a mashup of a used paperback store and 1DollarScan like service on site. It would require an investment in training, hardware and software. It would also require an online presence to make enough sales to stay in business.

I expect they would also need legal advice concerning copyright matters.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We haven't had a used bookstore in our town in years, long before digital books made an appearance. Around here the garden variety thrift stores such as Goodwill and Salvation Army are where you find used books.

We used to make regular trips to Louisville Kentucky to visit 3 of our son's who lived there, and they had many used book stores. At this point in time, some of those have closed, but there are still at least 3, who seem to be doing fine. All 3 sell online also, on AbeBooks and eBay both. That city does a great job of supporting local small businesses.

When I'm looking for a print book, AbeBooks is my first stop, even before Amazon now.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
When I traveled for a living I used to hit both new and used book stores. I was able to read a lot and was constantly buying books. I would keep them and sometimes would even mail them home if I ran out of room in my luggage. Back in the late '80s a local used book store owner was complaining about the lack of used science fiction. I went home and went through my collection. I pulled all of the books I would not be interested in rereading and gave them to her. It was over 700 books. My wife thinks the greatest thing I ever did was switch to eBooks. She thinks our house would be wall to wall books by now if I had not switched.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote