Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What will you do when MacOS stops supporting 32-bit apps and won't run ADE 2.0.1?
Stick with the last MacOS version that supports 32-bit apps and ignore future updates 0 0%
Keep an old Mac around running the last 32-bit-friendly MacOS 1 33.33%
Use Kindle instead of ADE 1 33.33%
Use Kobo instead of ADE 1 33.33%
I have another solution … (please share) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
When MacOS no longer supports ADE 2.0.1

What will you do when MacOS stops supporting 32-bit apps and therefore won't run ADE 1.7.2 and 2.0.1?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I have Digital Editions 4.5 and no problem importing my books into calibre if that’s what you're worried about.
Is there anything I am missing?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE 3 and 4 are capable of implementing a hardened DRM that Alf isn't able to handle, so I'm trying to stick with 2.0.1.

(Whether the hardened DRM is implemented depends on the bookseller, and so far most booksellers aren't using it, but they could flip the switch at any time.)
Old 08-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
ADE 3 and 4 are capable of implementing a hardened DRM that Alf isn't able to handle, so I'm trying to stick with 2.0.1.

(Whether the hardened DRM is implemented depends on the bookseller, and so far most booksellers aren't using it, but they could flip the switch at any time.)
Hmm, now I remember reading about that somewhere. I guess they won't use that for some time to maintain the highest compatibility with older devices as possible, but you are right, we are on borrowed time indeed. I just wonder, however, if when the time comes when booksellers will have widely adopted the new DRM schemes, Adobe won't completely pull the plug on older versions of ADE as well.
Have you tried installing an older Windows version with playonmac (https://www.playonmac.com/en/)? Software is legit (and free). I'm using it to run Scantailor and a game (Cuphead) without any trouble. It just needs a proper Windows installer to work...
Old 08-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg

That's an interesting idea. Thanks! I will add it to my list of options.

And you're right, 2.0.1 could easily stop working at some point <sigh>
Advert
Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Kindle is all I need. I haven't worried over ePubs or supported readers for same in years.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Kindle is all I need. I haven't worried over ePubs or supported readers for same in years.
my preferred choice as well
Old 08-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg

Amazon is my preferred ebookseller as well, but then there is the KFX issue.

Just trying to keep as many options open as possible.

(Yes, I've also been told I worry too much )
Old 08-29-2018, 03:48 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Amazon is my preferred ebookseller as well, but then there is the KFX issue.

Just trying to keep as many options open as possible.

(Yes, I've also been told I worry too much )
I thought kfx was mostly under control by now... At least you can modify your Kindle for Mac in such a way that it only pulls AZW3 files.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I thought kfx was mostly under control by now... At least you can modify your Kindle for Mac in such a way that it only pulls AZW3 files.
I've never gotten a kfx book from kindle, just AZW3 books. I have a paperwhite that is used as the target machine when I download ebooks to my Mac.

In sort of an answer to the OP, I have an old mac mini that I use to remove DRM for iTunes movies. I suppose at some point the version of iTunes will no longer work with the iTunes store.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've never gotten a kfx book from kindle, just AZW3 books. I have a paperwhite that is used as the target machine when I download ebooks to my Mac.
Sure, and if you don't have one, “method 2” described here should come in handy (for now):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...61&postcount=1
Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
What is the KFX issue? I didn't keep up with all this stuff as all my books work well on my iOS devices. If the issue involves calibre, then I could not care less. I don't use it. I tried it years ago when eBooks, both ePubs and Kindle books, often needed format massaging, but I no longer feel the need to do so as I can comfortably read 99,999 books out of 100,000 on my iOS devices. Calibre was never an app I cared much for. It is way easier to just use the Kindle cloud rather than becoming a raging anal retentive librarian on steroids worrying I might not find a particular book within a millisecond of wanting it! If I get so old I can't remember where my books are, I'll be too old to read! I don't use my Macs or Windoze computers for reading books.

I have to giggle to myself when I read in this forum where some spend so much time modifying their books and organizing their libraries that they probably don't have time to actually read and enjoy their books.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you have 100,000 books then that's the time you need Calibre . I have only 10% of that number, but even so my memory isn't good enough to allow me to know what books I have without a decent library manager. When you've been buying ebooks for 20 years it all gets a bit hazy!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #14
odamizu
just an egg

@johnnyb and @pwalker8, thanks for the suggestions!

@OtinG, since you don't use Alf's tools, KFX is a non-issue for you.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

I have used the new version for a while and have to to get this issue.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote