Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #2716
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Intrigue in Covent Garden, the 13th book in the Thomas Chaloner historical (17th century) mystery series by Susanna Gregory, is on sale for 99p at Amazon UK.
Volume 1 is still available at 99p, and Volume 2 at £1.99.

The Neon Rain, the first book in the Dave Robicheaux modern day mystery series by James Lee Burke is on sale for 99p at Amazon UK.

Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates, the first book in the Phryne Fisher historical (1920s) mystery series by Kerry Greenwood is on sale for 99p at Amazon UK.

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #2717
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The Millennium Trilogy (Girl Who...) by Stieg Larsson is on sale in one volume for 99p at Amazon UK.
I avoided this book when it first came out and I have still avoided it. I heard all three are great. But I do not want to get into a series and have a new author write it and everything feel off. Similar to listening to one narrator and then having someone totally new come in at book 10.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #2718
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I avoided this book when it first came out and I have still avoided it. I heard all three are great. But I do not want to get into a series and have a new author write it and everything feel off. Similar to listening to one narrator and then having someone totally new come in at book 10.
I'd recommend the trilogy but skip the continuation. Even with the trilogy, the hacking aspect will feel very dated - I read it in 2016 and had to keep reminding myself that at the time of writing it was at least somewhat original. By now it's been repeated ad nauseam in books and TV...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #2719
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I would recommend* just reading the original trilogy, and ignoring the ones by other authors. I read the 'fourth' book of the series, and it wasn't as good at all.

*If, of course, you like this kind of crime novel
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #2720
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Superb trilogy, to my mind. It starts a little slowly, but it soon gets going.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #2721
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Intrigue in Covent Garden, the 13th book in the Thomas Chaloner historical (17th century) mystery series by Susanna Gregory, is on sale for 99p at Amazon UK.
Volume 1 is still available at 99p, and Volume 2 at £1.99.

Another one I have to try quick before the sale gets away!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #2722
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective Book 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Air Raid Killer by Frank Goldammer is on sale for $1.99 at Amazon. At first, I thought it was about real life killer Gordon Cummins. But instead it's a German detective novel about a serial killer operating in the final days of the Nazi regime. Interesting premise. I hope the translation is good.
Amazon UK 99p until 23rd - Black Friday sale also Kindle Unlimited

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raid-Killer...dp/B07655M72P/

Last edited by Little.Egret; 11-16-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #2723
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
I've avoided it because of descriptions like this (pulled from one review): " The overarching theme though is the spotlight that the author, Stieg Larsson, places on Swedish culture's egregious acceptance of violence against women." Unless you-all can tell me this stuff isn't in there, I'll continue to stay away from this series. Even if the hacking would be worth reading about.

Spoiler:

Oh, and this stuff also keeps me away: "The freakier characters are so out of date it's embarrassing--mad Nazi torturers in 2000? with underground abbatoirs (didn't the tax assessor notice?), perverted social workers abusing their power, aphasic sociopath/genius computer hacks who can't cry and live unwashed in rat warrens, yet can walk into Swiss banks and discuss investments or impersonate a gilded heiress without a bit of coaching. Did I mention that, after building the tiny character of a friendly cat, the author kills and mutilates it as an important plot twist (so you can't avoid it)? This is a few hours you'll never get back."

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 11-16-2018 at 03:30 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #2724
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I am not planning to read the series being discussed, but given that the quote in the post above refers to an important plot twist I think it ought to be spoiler tagged.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #2725
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I've avoided it because of descriptions like this (pulled from one review): " The overarching theme though is the spotlight that the author, Stieg Larsson, places on Swedish culture's egregious acceptance of violence against women." Unless you-all can tell me this stuff isn't in there, I'll continue to stay away from this series. Even if the hacking would be worth reading about.

Spoiler:
Oh, and this stuff also keeps me away: "The freakier characters are so out of date it's embarrassing--mad Nazi torturers in 2000? with underground abbatoirs (didn't the tax assessor notice?), perverted social workers abusing their power, aphasic sociopath/genius computer hacks who can't cry and live unwashed in rat warrens, yet can walk into Swiss banks and discuss investments or impersonate a gilded heiress without a bit of coaching. Did I mention that, after building the tiny character of a friendly cat, the author kills and mutilates it as an important plot twist (so you can't avoid it)? This is a few hours you'll never get back."
I can certainly see how it could be distasteful to some readers, especially fans of genteel British series.

Forget the hacking - it might have been interesting reading 15 years ago but at this point in time it's nothing you haven't read or seen a thousand times, in many cases more realistically portrayed...

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-17-2018 at 04:51 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #2726
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Sorry about the spoiler. I haven't read it, so I didn't know it was a spoiler. Which bit is that? I could edit it. Moderator, feel free to do so, if you like.
bgDeb
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #2727
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Some titles at £0.99 (unless otherwise indicated) at Kindle UK.

Lord John and The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00654L9NC

Murder and the Glovemaker’s Son by Lesley Cookman: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D5DKNQW

The Poet by Michael Connelly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037471VC

Angelica's Smile by Andrea Camilleri, £1.19: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IXLVXTA
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #2728
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Endeavour. free

A Brace of Skeet (Keith Calder Book 14) by Gerald Hammond

This time, it’s Calder’s daughter’s turn to tell the tale, as she takes her father’s place as resident gunsmith—and amateur sleuth—of Newton Lauder.

The last thing Deborah Calder thought she’d be consulted on during her parent’s vacation was a murder. Yet they’d hardly left when Inspector Munro called her to the Pentland Gun Club, where the steward’s body had been found lying by a skeet trap.

First published in 1989 by Macmillan London Limited.

https://www.amazon.com/Brace-Skeet-K...dp/B07JQ8DKX1/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brace-Skeet...dp/B07JQ8DKX1/

https://www.amazon.ca/Brace-Skeet-Ke...dp/B07JQ8DKX1/

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/gerald-hammond/

Last edited by Little.Egret; 11-17-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #2729
Little.Egret
Wizard

Endeavour. free

Over the Sea to Death (Miss Pink Book 3) by Gwen Moffat

At the little hotel in Glen Shira, in the Cuillin of Skye mountains, professional guides and dedicated climbers gather—among them Melinda Pink, J.P., an amateur detective.

One of the guides, in his forties, is growing soft and careless, and moreover, he’s a womaniser. Another guide is a startlingly attractive woman, who hardly bothers to conceal her affair with her client, though his non-climbing wife is going almost insane with jealousy.

The hotel owner, known derisively as ‘the Colonel’, is savagely resentful of the permissive society and the way the world is going. And the flashpoint in this situation is provided by a ravishingly pretty young girl who arrives, incongruously, in a big floppy hat, halter top, jeans and flip-flops.

Miss Pink has two murders to contend with, each ingeniously camouflaged, and to reach the solution takes all of her climbing expertise and her understanding of what makes people tick.

First published in 1976 by Victor Gollancz Ltd.

Gwen Moffat is an accomplished mountaineer. She became the UK’s first female mountain guide and her fascination with wild country serves as the background to her crime novels. She lives in Cumbria.

https://www.amazon.com/Over-Death-Miss-Pink-Book-
ebook/dp/B07JCRHGV6/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Over-Death-...dp/B07JCRHGV6/

https://www.amazon.ca/Over-Death-Mis...dp/B07JCRHGV6/

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/gwen-moffat/
Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #2730
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Apparently most of the £0.99 titles at Kindle UK in some of the previous few posts are part of Kindle UK's Black Friday deal page, with prices good though 23rd November 2018.

A few more I found there (£0.99, unless otherwise noted):

Depraved Heart by Patricia Cornwell (#23 in the Kay Scarpetta series), £1.49: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Depraved-He...dp/B00X3965K4/

Fall Down Dead by Stephen Booth (most recent, 2018, in the Cooper & Fry series): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fall-Down-D...dp/B07B2XCDBQ/

The Moscow Sleepers by Stella Rimington (most recent, 2018, in the Liz Carlyle series), £1.59: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moscow-Slee...dp/B07BHLVH7R/

The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke (first in the Dave Robicheaux series): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neon-Rain-D...dp/B003PPDICO/

The Stone Monkey by Jeffery Deaver (4th in the Lincoln Rhyme series): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stone-Monke...dp/B002V092PG/

Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie (about 1/2 way through the Poirot series), £1.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evil-Under-...dp/B0046H95QS/
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote