Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
filcorti
filcorti began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
5.10 killed my battery?? [solved, indexing problem]

I know it seems strange but as I have updated the firmware the battery life of my Kindle Paperwhite 9017 is.... 1 hour?
Can't downgrade ATM. Don't know if it is even possible.
I know my Paperwhite is old but before the upgrade was... Just perfect. No idea.

Last edited by filcorti; 11-07-2018 at 10:04 AM.
filcorti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Have you recently loaded any books onto your kindle? If so, the battery might be affected by stuck indexing, rather than the update. Go to the start page, do a search for "All Text" type in something silly light gslvp and tell it to search. If there are results, the reader is stuck indexing. Do a restart. If that doesn't help, you may have to delete the stuck book.

That's assuming you do have indexing issues, which play havoc with battery life.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
filcorti
filcorti began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
Wow that was the problem, phew.
Never heard about that problem.
Thank you so much for your help
filcorti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
unfortunately, it's a known and common issue with battery drain. nice to know they still haven't fixed it.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think it is something that can be "fixed". The Kindle's global search facility requires that every book be indexed, and that's a computationally-intensive task. That's why it's a very good idea to leave the Kindle connected to a wall charger until it completes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think it is something that can be "fixed". The Kindle's global search facility requires that every book be indexed, and that's a computationally-intensive task. That's why it's a very good idea to leave the Kindle connected to a wall charger until it completes.
Seems like it should calculate an estimate of how long a book should reasonably take to index based on size of book. If the actual process exceeds it by say 100% it should abort and move on to the next book. It can create a report of failed books as a kindle document.

Just indexing forever and not giving you any indication anything is wrong isn't good software design.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indexing failures are vanishingly rare, Barty. I had none at all during the indexing of the 9000+ books on my Oasis. The problems people have with battery drain are caused by the fact that they aren't leaving the Kindle connected to external power until indexing has completed.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Indexing failures are vanishingly rare, Barty. I had none at all during the indexing of the 9000+ books on my Oasis. The problems people have with battery drain are caused by the fact that they aren't leaving the Kindle connected to external power until indexing has completed.
I've never had indexing problems either, with over 2000 books on my Oasis 2. But I remember having them (and other issues) in the ancient days when I downloaded books directly from Amazon or sideloaded from my PC without Calibre. Since I started sideload the books from Calibre, these kinds of problems vanished.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never had indexing problems either, with over 2000 books on my Oasis 2. But I remember having them (and other issues) in the ancient days when I downloaded books directly from Amazon or sideloaded from my PC without Calibre. Since I started sideload the books from Calibre, these kinds of problems vanished.
There was a major rewrite of the indexing engine a few years back which seems to have pretty much eliminated the problem of books getting stuck indexing. The issue now is simply that the indexing process appears to run at a very low priority if the Kindle isn't connected to mains power, so it takes an eternity. Plug the Kindle in to the charger and it indexes pretty quickly.