Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
calibre 3.33.1 [64bit] editor preferences anomaly

Trying to change in the editor preferences, for the preview window the "style for standard text" settings does not work for any of the options "sans text", "serif text" or "mono text" in calibre 64bit.
It works in the 32bit version.
Perhaps a bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	262
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	167391  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not much consolation for you but on my Windows 10 install, I can change editor font preferences. I closed Calibre, re-opened and the preferences were still as I set them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:44 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
works for me as well with calibre 64bit and I cant think of any reason it would work with 32bit but not 64bit -- it's a simple boolean setting stored ina json config file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange.
I can see my selection being entered in config file "tweak_book_gui.json" for option "preview_standard_font_family":
  • "preview_standard_font_family": null, for the default serif font family;
  • "preview_standard_font_family": "mono", for the mono font family selection;
  • "preview_standard_font_family": "sans", for the sans-serif family selection;
But despite this, the font family shown in the preview window remains "serif", which is also the default.
I can change the "font family for serif text" setting, though, which is immediately shown after pressing "ok", but that is it.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish

There is an option setting order difference in the 32 & 64 bit version, though (see attachments):
  • For 32 bit: sans/mono/serif (top-to-bottom)
  • For 64 bit: serif/mono/sans (top-to-bottom)
No idea whether this might be of influence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre32bit.png
Views:	176
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	167416   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre64bit.png
Views:	176
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	167417  
Old 11-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
On the face of it mine also seems to have this problem but I think it is because I don't understand how the font selection for the preview window works. However, I have not spent much time trying to figure it out as the default Times Roman serif (or what looks like Times Roman serif) is just fine by me. So the following is not meant as an explanation but just as a lead in for someone to perhaps fully explain.

It seems to me that it works maybe something like this.

If there is no font-family in the books stylesheet then the font selected in the Editor's options for the preview window are used - so the selection in the Editor's preferences appear to work.

If there is a font-family: serif;, for example, in the stylesheet then the selection for serif in the Editor's preferences are used in the preview window for the serif cases in the book. So it appears to work for them.

If there is a font-family: Times New Roman, serif;, for example in the stylesheet then the style in the book is used for them in the preview window instead of the font in the Editor's preferences. Now, on first blush I assumed that whatever was set in the Editor's preferences was overriding so was what one got regardless of the book's styles, and if one has that belief then it appears that if there is a font declared in the book (even if not embedded) that the Editor's preferences are not working because the Editor's style is not being applied.

I hope that makes sense. As I said I just mean this as a lead in to someone giving a correct and clearer explanation by either rubbishing this or clarifying this. However, getting to the nub of the original question, if the OP is under the same belief that I was, then its appearing not to work is because the book they are editing has a font declared in the stylesheet and that takes priority. If there is no font-family in the stylesheet the Editor's preferences then "appear to work".

Last edited by AnotherCat; 11-03-2018 at 05:57 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
There is an option setting order difference in the 32 & 64 bit version, though (see attachments):
  • For 32 bit: sans/mono/serif (top-to-bottom)
  • For 64 bit: serif/mono/sans (top-to-bottom)
No idea whether this might be of influence.
Even if it's not the cause of your problem, it certainly seems odd that there would be a difference in the order of widgets on a screen between 32 and 64 bit calibre.

But what's even odder is that I see sans/serif/mono (top-to-bottom) in 32, 64 and Portable editions of version 3.33.1

Name:	preview_fonts_sxs.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	167426

Weird - the 32bit and portable installs are fresh - i.e. installed today

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-03-2018 at 09:35 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I have Sans, Serif, Mono as the order from top to bottom too in 64 bit, Windows 10.

I wonder if it was different in older Editor versions? Or between Windows and Linux?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR
What got me, was the Icons are different on Portable
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the order being different is unrelated and an artifact of the random order of python dictionaries, I have fixed it.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:01 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BR
What got me, was the Icons are different on Portable
My "32/64 bit installed calibre" config has Prefs->L&F->Icon theme set to classic and some icon overrides in ..\resources\images. Whereas my portable has Prefs->L&F->Icon theme set to Default icons and no overrides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the order being different is unrelated and an artifact of the random order of python dictionaries, I have fixed it.
Whilst capturing the images I posted I thought I saw the order of Portable change when I stopped and restarted it. "Nah," I said to myself blinking, "I must have been imagining it."

But now I know mine eyes did in fact see the glory of a randomly ordered python dictionary I think I'll stick to the OED and Ayto's Word Origins.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #12
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
[...] if the OP is under the same belief that I was, then its appearing not to work is because the book they are editing has a font declared in the stylesheet and that takes priority. If there is no font-family in the stylesheet the Editor's preferences then "appear to work".
You nailed it! In the books I tried, the CSS did define
Code:
font-family: serif;
Removing that ebook CSS definition, I could select the mono/sans options.
So the priority is:
  1. CSS setting ebook
  2. calibre editor setting

And I admit, that is not what I expected My expectation is more that the editor should be able to override book settings, as the editor is supposed to make change possible.

So in the end, it works as intended, but not as expected.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Those settings are for what fonts to use when the book does not define its own fonts, when *previewing* the book. It has nothing to do with editing it. There are identical settings present int he calibre viewer as well, that have identical effects.