Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I seriously doubt that was what he was trying to accomplish. They were written for entertainment pure & simple. As were the movies.
I didn't mean to say that Brown was trying to change religious people's minds. What I meant is that the whole idea of some vast, centuries long conspiracy to suppress information that could discredit Christianity just didn't make a very compelling storyline element to me. Since religion is based on faith, a storyline revolving around protecting or exposing some great religious secret or cover up simply didn't evoke in me any tension or suspense.

I also in general didn't find him to be a very good writer. His characters came off as kind of cartoonish to me, as did the dialogue.

As for the movies, well, I fell asleep while watching Angels and Demons.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 12-17-2013 at 03:16 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've only read Da Vinci Code. An assassin who goes out to kill multiple people armed with a revolver and doesn't bring any extra ammo.... An assassin who thinks that a shot in the gut from a handgun is a guaranteed kill.... Howdy Doody would be a more capable assassin.

I would have forgiven the vast historical inaccuracies if Dan Brown hadn't touted the book as being historically accurate. This snippet from Wikipedia agrees with my memory of his interviews:

Quote:
In 2003, while promoting the novel, Brown was asked in interviews what parts of the history in his novel actually happened. He replied "Absolutely all of it." In a 2003 interview with CNN's Martin Savidge he was again asked how much of the historical background was true. He replied, "99% is true... the background is all true". Asked by Elizabeth Vargas in an ABC News special if the book would have been different if he had written it as non-fiction he replied, "I don't think it would have."

Last edited by Fluribus; 12-17-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Vomitus Maximus
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I didn't mean to say that Brown was trying to change religious people's minds. What I meant is that the whole idea of some vast, centuries long conspiracy to suppress information that could discredit Christianity just didn't make a very compelling storyline element to me. Since religion is based on faith, a storyline revolving around protecting or exposing some great religious secret or cover up simply didn't evoke in me any tension or suspense.
Many people would claim, myself included, that the Bible itself is that information. It doesn't need suppression. So I would have to agree, that no proof is ever going to convince anyone. Proof requires you to accept that it is proof, before it can work. And people like to guard the sanctity of their illusions -- it's human nature.

As a religious Jew, I am rather biased perhaps, but any religious Jew will tell you that the Bible is has creatively misread the Torah in a variety of ways.

But we probably don't want to turn this into THAT thread, now do we?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I really enjoyed Angels & Demons, but quickly became bored with later titles. I've always been amused at how Brown seems to inspire such criticism. But then again, bashing popularity is the world's most popular pastime. Ironic, that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #21
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This news doesn't surprise me at all. What is the percentage of people who read more than 5 books per year? Like 15%? But if 75% of people read at least one book per year then all of those people who only read a single book a year would probably buy something like a Dan Brown novel. It's just the same as the "gamers" who only buy two games per year- Call of Duty and Madden.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Inferno was also the #1 selling audiobook at Downpour.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Inferno was also the #1 selling audiobook at Downpour.
I would have thought a downpour would put out the inferno.....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Perhaps worth noting, from an etymological viewpoint, that the term "inferno", as used by Dante, had nothing to do with fire; it simply meant (in Latin) "of the lower regions" (ie hell). It was only in the mid 19th century that "inferno" came to mean a fire in English, from the supposed characteristics of those "lower regions".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

LOL ...fire is cool

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
LOL ...fire is cool

Old 12-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
kennyc

And more along the lines of Harry's comment: