Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #226
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I put it in airplane mode before entering the plane.

I put it in sleep mode or off when taking off/landing (it's an e-ink reader). Now that the nook doesn't lose my place everytime I turn it off, I'll be turning it off.

I bring along a dead tree book to read during takeoff/landing so I don't get bored during about 20 minutes per flight.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #227
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Well, I am European too - and being polite doesn't hurt me as much as people who think that their individual rights come before the convenience of the crowd. Don't you English believe in the old 'my home is my castle' saying. So why do you think that you can do as you please in other people's places/homes? That's just rude.

Well Said Katti
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #228
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecw View Post
I really doubt that any device is off when not turning a page, the biggest evidence is the page turn rate. I think they are in a deep sleep mode, but one that will respond in a very short time, but it is still responsive to interrupts etc.
But by that definition almost nothing is turned off. I'd have to remove the battery from my PDA, for example. As that reacts in a very short time and I can turn it on by pushing any button on it (unless I turn that feature off, but that's more a keylock than anything else).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #229
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But by that definition almost nothing is turned off. I'd have to remove the battery from my PDA, for example. As that reacts in a very short time and I can turn it on by pushing any button on it (unless I turn that feature off, but that's more a keylock than anything else).
That is correct, most consumer devices can be turned off (your PDA has a method I would guess, most do), but normally hitting the button just puts them to sleep, not off.

I don't know if it is a problem or not. Some devices are in a very quiet state in this form, others are not. I am not making that call, I have worked with too many consumer devices to pretend to know about them all, since they are all so different. If you want to follow the rules and be sure, learn how to turn your device off and do it.

--Carl
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #230
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Interestingly, a study was done in 2003 of actual use. Turns out many a-holes just ignore the rules as proved by the on-board spectrum analyzers they flew.The opinion of the engineers was that cell phone use, at least, did represent a real hazard.
I know that if I am on a flight and see someone using a phone, I will reach for the call button as fast as my hand can move. What really needs to happen is the FCC needs to evaluate all gadgets for their air safety as part of the already required FCC certification and certify and label them as to whether they can be used in flight or not. So far this has not been done.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 AM   #231
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Interestingly, a study was done in 2003 of actual use. Turns out many a-holes just ignore the rules as proved by the on-board spectrum analyzers they flew.The opinion of the engineers was that cell phone use, at least, did represent a real hazard.
I know that if I am on a flight and see someone using a phone, I will reach for the call button as fast as my hand can move.
100% agreed!

Quote:
What really needs to happen is the FCC needs to evaluate all gadgets for their air safety as part of the already required FCC certification and certify and label them as to whether they can be used in flight or not. So far this has not been done.
That would be a good approach, but the trouble is that, as I and pricecw have pointed out - certification is far from foolproof. There are many reasons why emissions can vary between different firmware versions on devices, and it's certainly not usual for manufacturers to resubmit their products for recertification with each firmware release.

As well as that, any device which can run user-installed applications, be it a laptop or a smartphone or an iPod Touch or whatever, can have emissions which are dependent on the apps running. (Admittedly, the effect here is usually minimal, but isn't necessarily so.)

Having said that, certification is clearly part of the solution, along with bringing FCC and FAA requirements into line, more studies on the sensitivity of the planes' systems and work on improving their immunity levels.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #232
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
What really needs to happen is the FCC needs to evaluate all gadgets for their air safety as part of the already required FCC certification and certify and label them as to whether they can be used in flight or not. So far this has not been done.
You mean the FAA, not FCC, but you're right, that's the crux of the problem. The FAA takes air safety VERY seriously (which is a good thing). You would not believe the amount of testing that is required to certify a new piece of electronic gear to be installed on an airplane, and this is stuff coming from companies that are specifically designing electronics for flight operations. The FAA's main point of view is that if it has not been thoroughly tested and certified, then they don't want to take the risk. If they don't KNOW that a device is safe, then they say that you have to turn it off. If you look at it case by case, are there some devices where it seems silly to require them being turned off... sure. But the general policy from the FAA is, for the most part, a good one. If they're not positive, then the answer is no. The only way they are positive is if it goes through their certification.

No company selling consumer electronics (cell phones, etc) that are not specifically being designed/sold for flight operations is going to want to spend the amount of time and especially money it would take to get it certified by the FAA. Such use would only be a tiny part of their market anyway.

Last edited by Shaggy; 04-30-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #233
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
That would be a good approach, but the trouble is that, as I and pricecw have pointed out - certification is far from foolproof. There are many reasons why emissions can vary between different firmware versions on devices, and it's certainly not usual for manufacturers to resubmit their products for recertification with each firmware release.
I believe that if they really did get FAA certification, they would be required to re-certify every time they changed anything. That's one of the reasons it's very expensive, and we'll not likely see consumer electronics go through it.

Quote:
As well as that, any device which can run user-installed applications, be it a laptop or a smartphone or an iPod Touch or whatever, can have emissions which are dependent on the apps running. (Admittedly, the effect here is usually minimal, but isn't necessarily so.)
Similarly, I doubt an FAA certified device would be able to allow user applications and still keep it's certification.

I don't think FAA certification is realistic for consumer devices. That's why we still have the "switch off all electronic devices" rule in place. I don't think it's likely to change.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #234
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I believe that if they really did get FAA certification, they would be required to re-certify every time they changed anything. That's one of the reasons it's very expensive, and we'll not likely see consumer electronics go through it.

Similarly, I doubt an FAA certified device would be able to allow user applications and still keep it's certification.

I don't think FAA certification is realistic for consumer devices. That's why we still have the "switch off all electronic devices" rule in place. I don't think it's likely to change.
Agreed. That level of certification would not be feasible for consumer devices.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote