Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-30-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Norton Flagged This as a Dangerous Site This Morning

I don't know why -- and I don't know if it was legit. If it is, I hope somebody at the site can dispute the report.

But on Safeweb, this site gets a Safe rating.

I tried to save the URL with the warning, but it didn't show anything. And it's one of those long URLs:
moz-extension://beeb3874-9e63-4966-8433-085de5a84786/content/ui/blockedPage.html?originalURL=https://www.mobileread.com/forums/&reportURL=https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=https://www.mobileread.com/forums/&ulang=en&blockPageType=malicious&continueToSiteUR L=https://www.mobileread.com/forums/#
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:25 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Safeweb IS Norton. Sounds like a false positive on their end to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 10:52 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tend to agree that it is a false positive. Personally, I tend to remove products such as Safeweb, Siteadvisor, OnlineLinkScan, etc. since I find them to be pretty useless for their supposed use. I ran the base URL for Mobileread through VirusTotal and no positives came up.

Edit: Ditto for https://mobileread.com/forums.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-30-2024 at 10:58 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:54 AM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The warnings have come up again this morning -- even though they came up only once yesterday. This time, the warning didn't come up when I clicked my bookmark. But once they started, they came up each time I clicked a link on the site (such as clicking Go Advanced).

I hope they have stopped. And I hope there is a way to contact Norton and ask, "What in the world?"

I attached a screencap.

ETA: And now they have stopped.

ETA: Submitted a false positive report on the Norton site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton-Mobile-Reads.png
Views:	26
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	207255  

Last edited by Critteranne; 03-31-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:21 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would suggest uninstalling Safe Web and any other Norton product. At best, they are no better than Microsoft's builtin security tools and they tend to throw up many more false positives (Norton is pretty much as bad as McAfee for false positives).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 03:10 PM   #6
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would suggest uninstalling Safe Web and any other Norton product. At best, they are no better than Microsoft's builtin security tools and they tend to throw up many more false positives (Norton is pretty much as bad as McAfee for false positives).
I usually avoid Norton and McAfee -- because they charge a yearly fee instead of just letting you buy software and because they make the computer slower. In most cases, I find that Microsoft's security tools do the job.

But recently, Microsoft's security tools detected a Trojan in Word files I was sent for work. The Microsoft tools blocked the Trojan and removed the file -- but I couldn't get a clean version. I guess their software didn't detect any issues. This took days of back and forth.

So I gritted my teeth and bought a Norton bundle. And it cleaned the file for me so that I could finally do my job. As much as it pains me to admit this, it was worth the licensing fee.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:57 AM   #7
Critteranne
Guru

UPDATE

This morning, I was getting warnings about the site again. And when I checked the URL in Safeweb, it gave it a bad rating. I posted a dispute to the rating, and now it is marked as Safe again.

But the site admins might want to keep an eye on this. Something was flagged by an automated ... doohickey. (I wish I had made a screencap of the initial rating so that you could see the rating.)