Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Kobo battery?

My first post disappeared?

I have a Kobo Wireless that I picked up at a Goodwill Auction. Every time I pick it up, it is telling me to plug in for a recharge. I think this means that the battery is dying. Is it easy to change the battery on this? Is a battery even available? I bought it just to have something linked to my Kobo library as I have quite a few unread books (400+ including free). But, it's really getting old to pick it up, turn it on and it wants a charge.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-11-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Which Kobo? Have you charged it Over night using the Wall charger?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Which Kobo? Have you charged it Over night using the Wall charger?
Kobo wireless and I always charge over night with a wall charger. It charges fine, shows 100% but seems to lose the charge awfully fast.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
...I think this means that the battery is dying. Is it easy to change the battery on this? Is a battery even available? ...
It would probably be cheaper to buy another Kobo Wireless on Shop Goodwill, but I can understand wanting to fix the one you have. I opened up a Kobo Wireless for something ... I think to replace the image on the SD Card ... and it wasn't too hard. You take the front bezel off to get to the battery. I think the thing I worried most about was cracking the bezel. This is the video I used (I think)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nduY8RT1kVQ

(Note, the maker of the video thanks davidfor of MobileRead for his help.)

This battery (would have to be ordered from China, I think) supposedly the following is a replacement for the Kobo Wireless (and several PocketBook models).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Repl...808823884.html

You might be able to find a similar sized battery with the same specs in the U.S.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Presumably the kobo was probably in the goodwill auction for the very reason that the battery wasn't holding a charge.
It's possible the battery might just need a few discharge recharge cycles.
I have one kobo where the battery was completely discharged for quite a while and wouldn't even start up, the first few times the battery charged up to 100% it discharged extremely fast - but after using it and charging it up with a combination of wall charger and usb to computer it seems to be holding a charge better but it still depletes to half power fairly quickly.
Some of the earlier older firmwares I have heard don't read the battery power properly and some (I have heard) have battery discharge issues.
I would work it in for a few days or couple of weeks first before jumping to changing the battery (which still maybe the case). Just exhaust all avenues first before traveling down that road.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Wait to recharge when the battery is DEAD Dead... Some times that jump starts them.
Looks like its Easy to change the battery.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 01-11-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Strange, on the kobo I was having battery issues. I turned it on and battery was at 81% (latest firmware) then after 10 minutes of use the battery went up to 89%.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doing a little more research on the Kobo N647 battery. It used the same battery as the PocketBook 601 (which looks almost the same as a Kobo WiFi). A Russian site shows a substitute battery, a Nokia BL-6U (or one of its clones), with the leads from the old Kobo battery soldered on. (Red lead to positive, black to negative and ignore the third "empty" battery contact.)

The attached image was found here: https://e-ink-reader.ru/batt_en.php (they show substitutes for several old eReaders here).

This battery (or one of its clones) can be easily found on eBay or Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BL-6U-Batte...frcectupt=true

(Note: It looks like most of the eBay ones ship from China. But the one linked above is supposed to be in the U.S.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nokia6u.png
Views:	123
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	168996  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Presumably the kobo was probably in the goodwill auction for the very reason that the battery wasn't holding a charge.
I've picked up three Kobo WiFi's at Shop Goodwill (one now give away) and they all hold a charge long enough to read a book (or two). I don't think battery life was that long on these when they were new.