Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
randyharris
randyharris began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
1.4 update is now available with go to page #

I just was checking the nook before heading out and saw it began downloading a firmware update when I turned airplane mode off.

1.4, it says on the website that then added the GOTO Page # feature.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/index.asp

Our new software update has exciting new features and improves NOOK's overall performance. Included in Version 1.4:
Extended AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot support — FREE and seamless connection to AT&T's entire nationwide Wi-Fi network including restaurants, hotels and additional locations, and wherever you see an AT&T Wi-Fi sign.
New extra extra large font size
Go-To Page feature allows users to go to a specific page in their eBook
randyharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
can someone explain to me the new At&T expanded Wi Fi Hot spot feature?

Does this mean that in places that would charge you fee, that we don't have to and it just automatically connects?

otherwise with the addition of the web browser in the last Firmware update we are not able to hook up to any hot spot.

little confused on the advantages. Thanks
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Still no better file management options. The goto page feature is helpful I guess but in 6 weeks of using my nook, I think I've wished for that once. However 2 or 3 times a week I wish there was a better way to sort my books.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
randyharris

I think previous to 1.4 the only free wifi officially offered for your nook was at BN stored, and now they are expanding the free wifi to all ATT hotspots.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
randyharris

Well it's a great thing that the new 1.4 has a goto page feature, because the process of updating to 1.4 somehow made my nook forget where I last was in the book I was currently reading. Luckily I knew about where I was, so went to that page and found my spot.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
Well it's a great thing that the new 1.4 has a goto page feature, because the process of updating to 1.4 somehow made my nook forget where I last was in the book I was currently reading. Luckily I knew about where I was, so went to that page and found my spot.
I got lucky! I just finished a book before bed last night and hadn't started a new one before I updated. I did have to update my time and reselect my screensaver.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
This is a terrible update, the screen is slower now. Open WiFi access is all great, but it should not come at the sacrifice of its primary function, to read books.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
This is a terrible update, the screen is slower now. Open WiFi access is all great, but it should not come at the sacrifice of its primary function, to read books.
??? Do you mean page refresh is slower? I updated mine before lunch, then read during lunch and didn't notice a difference.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
DarkStarPDX
Nook Master Hacker :-)
DarkStarPDX began at the beginning.

Quote:
Huh... I noticed that with 1.4 my screen flips pages quicker now... I guess YMMV.
DarkStarPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
??? Do you mean page refresh is slower? I updated mine before lunch, then read during lunch and didn't notice a difference.
Oh there is a big difference, even when I'm trying to navigate the menu during reading, everything is slower.

Though I'll be swapping my unit out sometime this week because the page buttons on my unit cracked, I'll have to see if a new unit will have the same problems.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
............n/m
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Oh there is a big difference, even when I'm trying to navigate the menu during reading, everything is slower.

Though I'll be swapping my unit out sometime this week because the page buttons on my unit cracked, I'll have to see if a new unit will have the same problems.
Try rebooting your Nook.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Wow, the only major issue I had with the nook is the ability to go to a specific page. I am so happy yet sad since my nook is dead. A few more hours and off I go to BN store to drop two bills on a new one.

And as for the speed, I noticed a huge difference in page turn speed after I perform a full reboot. It's almost like a PC with an app that has a memory leak and the longer you leave it on, the slower it gets.

Last edited by kilmar; 06-21-2010 at 04:12 PM.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
They fixed the foreign characters in the book lists.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
Does anyone have a full change log?
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote