Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
sara_woodrough
sara_woodrough began at the beginning.

Device: Libra
tear/dent on kobo screen?

Hello all!
This is my first post here, although i have been lurking for a while
I am quite new to the e-book experience: i bought my first ereader (a kobo clara) last year and the other day (literally a couple of days ago) i got a white kobo libra as a present. Now, even though i love everything about the libra (i was actually satisfied with the clara but i prefer the 7’’ screen and i am perfectly willing to disregard the gradient lighting which is actually quite obvious at about 20-30% brightness) i am in a sort of dilemma: after only
an hour of use i noticed that there is something like a tiny-tiny scratch or tear on the screen, but -if it ever makes any sense and please excuse any inaccuracies here but i am not familiar with how those screeens
are built - ) not the plastic itself but the material underneath. The reason i am
saying this is because if i run my finger on that part of the screen it doesn’t feel scratched at all. It looks as though the tear is on a layer underneath. Plus, light from the leds comes out from said tear/dent. I am posting a picture though i am afraid it was impossible to clearly capture on my iphone. Any insights as to what this might be? On the photo is just barely noticeable if you zoom
in (it’s somewhere between the o and the b). Thank you very much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17135C84-7095-46A4-B5FF-C3F9F19E58DE.jpeg
Views:	439
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	177029  
sara_woodrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Sounds like the light guide layer is damaged
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2020, 03:21 AM   #3
sara_woodrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Sounds like the light guide layer is damaged
Exactly, this is what I was looking for, as the store required a thorough description of the defect in order to replace it.
Thank you very much!
Old 02-10-2020, 04:24 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The photo is terrible, and there's no "b" on the screen. (There's a "B", but it's not adjacent to an "o".) I can't see what you are trying to point out.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In order to show off the problem, you'll need a much higher resolution image. I cannot see your problem.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #6
sara_woodrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In order to show off the problem, you'll need a much higher resolution image. I cannot see your problem.
I am really sorry for not making myself clear, I am new to the forum and I was not sure if I could upload a higher resolution pic - plus I am not a native speaker and tech issues of any sort are not my strong point.

When I said "between the o and the b" I meant the part on the screen that is opposite the Kobo logo on the wide grip bezel - not the o and b in the text itself.

I will try to post a better pic later.
Thank you all for replying.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_woodrough View Post
I am really sorry for not making myself clear, I am new to the forum and I was not sure if I could upload a higher resolution pic - plus I am not a native speaker and tech issues of any sort are not my strong point.

When I said "between the o and the b" I meant the part on the screen that is opposite the Kobo logo on the wide grip bezel - not the o and b in the text itself.

I will try to post a better pic later.
Thank you all for replying.
You can attach a much higher resolution image. That's allowed. Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:05 AM   #8
sara_woodrough

here is a somewhat better photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1339.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	177044  
Old 02-10-2020, 05:53 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
here is a somewhat better photo
Much better! The tiny bright spot, outside of the text reading area? Yes it could be a light guide defect, or these bright spots sometimes happen from screen damage also. You may not be able to feel screen damage with your finger.

If you are certain that the Kobo came that way from the start, and it bothers you enough, (and you haven't (for example) had your keys hit it - has it been protected in a case the whole time?) - then by all means ask for an exchange. "Light guide defect" is the wording you're looking for. Not "damage".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #10
sara_woodrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Much better! The tiny bright spot, outside of the text reading area? Yes it could be a light guide defect, or these bright spots sometimes happen from screen damage also. You may not be able to feel screen damage with your finger.

If you are certain that the Kobo came that way from the start, and it bothers you enough, (and you haven't (for example) had your keys hit it - has it been protected in a case the whole time?) - then by all means ask for an exchange. "Light guide defect" is the wording you're looking for. Not "damage".
Thank you!
Yes, that's exactly what I meant, the tiny bright spot (although it is highly more noticeable on the actual device, the photo is still a bit blurry).
I am absolutely positive that it was already there when I got it, as I didn't take it out of the box until I got home, there were no keys around and then it went straight to a case I had specifically bought for that purpose.
Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thank you!
Yes, that's exactly what I meant, the tiny bright spot (although it is highly more noticeable on the actual device, the photo is still a bit blurry).
I am absolutely positive that it was already there when I got it, as I didn't take it out of the box until I got home, there were no keys around and then it went straight to a case I had specifically bought for that purpose.
Bright spots like that were unfortunately common in the first few e-ink devices with lights. They still happen, but, nowhere near as often. They are a known manufacturing defect, so you should exchange it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:04 AM   #12
sara_woodrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Bright spots like that were unfortunately common in the first few e-ink devices with lights. They still happen, but, nowhere near as often. They are a known manufacturing defect, so you should exchange it.
Yes, I finally decided to return it. The thing is that where I live there's no authorized direct seller, meaning that the only way to buy an ereader is to order it from a domestic online store which in turn purchases the ereader from abroad, so all this process takes time.
However, they do undertake to exchange the device in case of defect (provided that you return it within 7 days from purchase and that you were not at fault) and then it takes like forever to get a new one back.
Anyway, I 'll just get back to the Clara for a few weeks - which, by the way, feels super small at the moment. It 's amazing how much difference an inch makes.