Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Kindle for Samsung vs. Kindle for Android?

Just got a Galaxy Tab A 8.0 for reading, light surfing, games, etc., which is working out well so far. Can anyone advise whether there are any serious difference between the two or advantages to installing the Android app instead of the Samsung app aside from losing the monthly freebee? TIA!
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
It's looking like if you tried both you'd be the only expert around.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, well.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I tried both a year or two ago when I got a new Samsung tablet. I don't read on tablets so I was just experimenting. I didn't really find any differences in the apps but the Samsung version did give me a free Kindle book every month. I don't remember the details on that. I think it gave me a small selection to choose from and I didn't find anything of interest to me. Or maybe I just decided not to care since I don't read on tablets anyway.

This is all from memory and I'm not sure how well I remember it. I think I have it about right though.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Plumadona
Groupie

Thanks!
Advert
Old 11-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Kindle for Android had a recent update to version 8.0.0.xx and made some user interface changes for the better.

I fired up my old Samsung phone today and I couldn't find any update past 7.something on the Samsung Kindle app.

What version is the Kindle Samsung app on your tablet?

I power up the old phone (weak battery) only once a month to browse the freebies, I rarely find any that seem very interesting.

Last edited by Alohamora; 11-23-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Plumadona
Groupie

The app version is 7.12.0.59 - Amazon shows a newer one but not a way to get it it directly. I haven’t had a chance to investigate further as I’m away & don’t have full internet access. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
The Samsung Kindle app used to crash on me, even when it was running in the background. I uninstalled it, with the intention of re-installing it for the monthly selections, but none of them have appealed to me lately so I've yet to re-install it.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I like the version 8 update, it's in the Google play store. I think it's possible to have both installed at once, but it got confusing when trying to manage books from the Amazon site.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When I had my Galaxy Tab A I tried the Samsung app... ALL was Fine for ebooks directly from Amazon. But Sideloaded ebooks were a crap shoot...some times they showed up other time they got lost I now use the Android app from the play store No more lost ebooks!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #11
BookishBiker
BookishBiker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Nook Glowlight Plus 2019, Kobo Forma
Kindle for Samsung vs. Kindle for Android?

Only advantage I saw when I tried it was the extra free book a month. However, they weren't ever great choices and were all on Kindle Unlimited, if you had it.

I went back to the regular app, though I no longer use a tablet to read.
BookishBiker is offline   Reply With Quote