Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
While the newer Kindles don't support ePub directly, the new Amazon format AZW3 is a near 1:1 equivalent. Conversions are almost always excellent. To data, all of the flaws I've seen in AZW3s converted from ePub trace to flaws in the original ePub.
Very glad I read this thread. I had it in my head that "generic" mobi was the way to go. My first AZW3 to ePub conversion went beautifully. I haven't gone the other way yet, but I will. I just figured ePub and mobi didn't convert well between each format. Learn something new every day.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #17
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Can be reader firmware related differences too apparently. I have downloaded a Mobi file to both a Kindle and two Kobo e-readers and it showed up fine on the Kindle and the newer Kobo but showed text errors on my Kobo Mini.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Can be reader firmware related differences too apparently. I have downloaded a Mobi file to both a Kindle and two Kobo e-readers and it showed up fine on the Kindle and the newer Kobo but showed text errors on my Kobo Mini.
Kobos are not designed for mobi.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Kobo does support Mobi as a reading format, however their overall support for the format isn't great.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
They list MOBI as a supported format, that results in a responsibility to not do a lousy job.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I expect one challenge is the lack of official documentation on the internals of the mobi format

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #22
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I expect one challenge is the lack of official documentation on the internals of the mobi format

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Then why offer it as a "supported format"?

Shari
Old 11-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Then why offer it as a "supported format"?

Shari
A misguided marketing ploy, I would hazard a guess. To the uninformed, a reader that can read books in 20 different formats sounds better than a reader that can read only one or two. The informed user knows that reading a small number of formats well is actually much more important!
Old 11-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
They list MOBI as a supported format, that results in a responsibility to not do a lousy job.
Kobo supports the mobi format as it was created by Mobipocket -- one clue is that the file that handles mobi format is named libpdb.so. Amazon made quite a few changes to the mobi format which, as far as I've been able to tell, are not publicly documented.

You lose the ability to highlight and use dictionaries with mobi format ebooks. You also suffer from the issue that in mobi format, images are specified in pixels so on new devices, what was intended to be a full screen image looks more like a thumbnail.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I convert epub to plain mobi files all the time and I rarely have a problem. I use Calibre. I occasionally convert from PDF to mobi and again, usually not a problem although that fails at times.

Maybe I'm just not fussy about the outcome but I don't see the issue.

Barry

One thing I've noticed is that my mobi ebook files I purchased from Radio Archives (and presumably all mobi files?) will not take advantage of the Bold choices on the newest firmware update from Amazon.

Doing a bulk change to AZW3 and deleting the 'original-mobi' and 'mobi' files and then putting those AZW3 files onto my Kindle solved the problem.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
One thing I've noticed is that my mobi ebook files I purchased from Radio Archives (and presumably all mobi files?) will not take advantage of the Bold choices on the newest firmware update from Amazon.

Doing a bulk change to AZW3 and deleting the 'original-mobi' and 'mobi' files and then putting those AZW3 files onto my Kindle solved the problem.
Yep, and the FONT_RAMP hack doesn't work with mobis either.

I converted my books to mobis for years without problems. Well, I usually edit the formatting before conversion anyway. Since the Oasis 2 and the new firmware with boldness setting I also converted all my books to azw3.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post

This kind of thing can happen!

I about tore my hair out over an epub I had made. It has a simple SVG title page. This displayed beautifully on my Kobo and in every epub reader app I'd tested on.

Then I converted it to Kindle format with Kindle Previewer and loaded it on my Voyage and half the title page text was missing!!!!! BUT (it gets weirder), the SAME EXACT FILE loaded on a older Kindle Touch displayed perfectly. And sent to the Kindle app on my tablet, also perfect. And perfect in Kindle Previewer. I still have no idea why the Kindle Voyage borks on that SVG title page, as I've not had issues with same in other ebooks I've made.

And yes, firmware on Voyage is up to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #28
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Originally posted to Amazon's Kindle Device Forum.

Sorry if this is old news. I did a search of the old posts and did not turn up anything.

I suspect that this is not officially Amazon supported but it works as I just tried it. Take a unprotected .EPUB file and rename it to .PNG. Email it to a Kindle E-reader with "convert" in the email title. Amazon will convert it to a readable Kindle AZW3 format. I just tried it with two book files, sent to my Kindle Voyage running firmware version 5.8.11. Total size about 3 MB as sent and they arrived in the Voyage in about a minute or less. Total size of the converted files only about 1/3 the original EPUB files. There seem to be limitations such as the original cover not being shown in Grid view and one of the books had the title page shown in very oversized font, spread over multiple pages, but the choices of font type, size and bolding for the book text are supported per a quick check. Once the book is opened the original cover is in the file and can be seen by paging back from the opening page. Hooking up USB to the Kindle and checking, each converted file shows up as two items, a .AZW3 file and a folder with a small .SDR file in it. Both are in the Documents folder on the Kindle e-reader.

There is a whole thread from earlier this year on Mobile Read Forums discussing it. Looks to me like a quick and dirty method of converting .EPUB files for the Kindle and simultaneously getting them into Amazon cloud storage. Hope that Amazon continues to support this. Probably get the same basic effect by using Calibre to convert EPUB to MOBI and then sending to Kindle with "convert" in the subject line.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288964

I am not sure what software that Amazon uses for their automatic file conversions but apparently it is quite versatile and the decision to not support EPUB conversions to a Kindle compatible format is a marketing one rather than a technical limitation of the software.

Last edited by Richwood; 12-09-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #29
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by micholston View Post
For changes to MOBI transformations, it's important to determine which MOBI design we're discussing.
Thread necro (2017).
Old 03-03-2022, 11:34 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrianrue View Post
One thing that really irritates me with my old kindle is of course because it doesn't support epub, and I do have a lot of epubs which I would have to convert them with calibre (and this converting process is not always perfect) so juggling between the three big formats: mobi, pdf, epub and having to convert pdf and epub to mobi each time and not necessarily getting the best result from the conversion has been really bothering me for quite some time
Sounds to me like you've mostly got ePubs, so I would look for a new or used ePub eReader. That means all others besides Kindles. If you live in the U.S., Kobo currently has the re-certified Clara in stock at $90. This is a very solid, 6" eReader with a nice, front-lit, warm HD screen. You can find "open box" Nook Glowlight 3's on eBay for $75. These have really nice, front-lit, warm HD screens as well.

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections...-kobo-clara-hd

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35243265786...gAAOSwWZVaz55E

You can also watch for sales when a new Clara drops to $90. Currently there aren't any, however.

You might also want to go with a bigger screen. (I personally like the 6" ones, but there are folks who swear by 7 or 8 inch screens.)

Good luck.
Closed Thread