Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2020, 07:06 AM   #1
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What is your preferred way of ebook conversions?

I myself mostly convert EPUBS to AZW3 and then use the Hyphenate This! plugin and it works great.

I'm wondering if there's a more intuitive way of converting, so how do YOU do it?
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
I myself mostly convert EPUBS to AZW3 and then use the Hyphenate This! plugin and it works great.

I'm wondering if there's a more intuitive way of converting, so how do YOU do it?
There is no easier way to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
What does the Hyphenate This! plugin do?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
nimbus.se
nimbus.se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
What does the Hyphenate This! plugin do?
It hyphenates words of the book resulting in a justified text
nimbus.se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus.se View Post
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Calibre's "Polish books" function is able to add and remove soft hyphens in much the same was as "Hyphenate This!" does, without the need for an additional plugin.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
surely the preferred way it to get books in a format that your reader accepts - bypass the whole issue

why get into I want to read AZW on my kobo OR I want to read epub on my kindle in the first place

some here may be old enough to follow along if I say you don't buy a VHS player & expect it to play betaMAx, or vice versa
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
surely the preferred way it to get books in a format that your reader accepts - bypass the whole issue

why get into I want to read AZW on my kobo OR I want to read epub on my kindle in the first place

some here may be old enough to follow along if I say you don't buy a VHS player & expect it to play betaMAx, or vice versa
Because some of us have multiple readers and want to be able to read any of our books on any of our readers? Because we don't want to be tied to one bookstore?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:

I use a Kindle, and for a year I used a Kobo. I find Amazon to be the easiest store to use, but want to be able to back up my books, and use whatever store I need to. I didn't like the Kobo store at all, and only bought a couple of books from them when I owned a Kobo.

When I bought that Kobo, I wanted to use books I'd already purchased from Amazon.

Calibre makes all of this possible.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Most of what I read comes from Project Gutenberg or from here, mobileread.com.
I get the epub version when I can. Then if I need to edit anything, I can. IMHO, chapters should start on a new page and the table of contents should work.
After I am happy with the editing, I tell calibre to email it to my paperwhite. This converts it to MOBI before it sends it.
Now I can read it on my paperwhite when I am home or on the Kindle app on my iPhone when I am out and about. And they remember where I am in the book when I switch back and forth.

Strange, I haven't been using iPhone app much lately, but I have been using the paperwhite a bunch!!!
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Because some of us have multiple readers and want to be able to read any of our books on any of our readers? Because we don't want to be tied to one bookstore?

Shari
ok - but you lose some add on features, typically ability to sync reading positions, access notes... with even he best of conversions, at that breaks the store-provided infrastructure

so matching your reader to your main book supply is optimal
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #12
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre is likely the easiest and most intuitive (aka brainless). As a bonus it also allows you to tweak things, remove/add things, change the lines to/from ragged right/justified, and so forth.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:20 AM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus.se View Post
Does it really change the css so that it uses text-align: justified if it originally had text-align: left (or no text-align)?

I "fix" all of my books to use ragged right (aka text-align: left) and as a test added soft hyphens with the Polish Book plugin and it was still ragged right. And no hyphenation on my Kobo unfortunately; there are often times when a line ends with a long word and I wish it would hyphenate it instead of leaving a big space. But I'd rather have that than the uneven spacing between words when it's justified.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:56 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
ok - but you lose some add on features, typically ability to sync reading positions, access notes... with even he best of conversions, at that breaks the store-provided infrastructure

so matching your reader to your main book supply is optimal
For me personally, the ability to edit the formatting is far more important than anything the store provides. On my Kindles, the ability to use custom font sizes is also very important and the font_ramp hack doesn't work with kfx format. So, every book on my various ereaders is sideloaded from Calibre, no matter where I bought it from. No direct downloads for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #15
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For me personally, the ability to edit the formatting is far more important than anything the store provides. On my Kindles, the ability to use custom font sizes is also very important and the font_ramp hack doesn't work with kfx format. So, every book on my various ereaders is sideloaded from Calibre, no matter where I bought it from. No direct downloads for me.
Out of curiosity, what are the exact values you've put in your fon_ramp file?
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, convert