Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #121
Rory OConor
Rory OConor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Glad you seem to be sorting out Kindle Page numbers.
I use Calibre to convert Project Gutenberg HTML files into MOBI for my Kindle, as Calibre provides much more of the formatting than the PG MOBI files.

I have now become a Post-Processor on the Distributed Proofreeding site, who provide HTML files to PG.

the standard DP pagenumbers are formatted as follows:

In the header, the class

.pagenum { /* uncomment the next line for invisible page numbers */
/* visibility: hidden; */
position: absolute;
left: 92%;
font-size: smaller;
text-align: right;
} /* page numbers */

And then embedded within the body text:

<span class="pagenum"><a name="Page_xx" id="Page_xx">[xx]</a></span>
or
<span class="pagenum"><a name="Page_xxx" id="Page_xxx">[Pg xxx]</a></span>

Would it be possible using the above information for Calibre to produce Kindle files with page numbers from Project Gutenberg HTML files?

ps: Calibre only seems to produce .mobi and .opf files (who knows) when I use it. No .apnx file.

regards

Rory
Rory OConor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #122
iltp
RussianTrollFactoryWorker
iltp began at the beginning.

Device: none
I was wondering how do I make Pages Work with my Kindle books. I tried that code that you provided and it adds hard pages but Kindle still cannot see it and gives me only Location.

That's what I trying to accomplish...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ltfQRtp.png
Views:	343
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	169154

Moderator Notice

PLEASE Read Guideline #9 regarding maximum size of in-line images (link @ end of page)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-17-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: see mod notice
iltp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #123
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iltp View Post
I was wondering how do I make Pages Work with my Kindle books. I tried that code that you provided and it adds hard pages but Kindle still cannot see it and gives me only Location.

That's what I trying to accomplish...

Attachment 169154

PLEASE Read Guideline #9 regarding maximum size of in-line images (link @ end of page)

BR
Use the Count Pages plugin to generate page numbers. If you then send the book to your Kindle directly from Calibre, it will display page numbers.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #124
iltp
RussianTrollFactoryWorker
iltp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb embedding/alternating APNX file

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Questions don't have to be technical I only ask / hope they are well written. Also, preferably not asked multiple times.

No. The page numbers are fixed based on location within the file The font and text size have no bearing the the numbers. The design of the APNX is to provide page numbers that correspond to a printed book's pages. The do not look at or account for the screen size or how much text is visible on the screen at a given time.

No. I don't see a technical way to achieve this either. From what I know about the APNX file this is not a feature.

The goal of the APNX is to map to pages in a printed book. So the page numbered X will in the Kindle version will start with the same text as the corresponding print version at page X. No matter the font, text size or screen size.

That said Amazon is the only one with the necessary information to map to a print book. Calibre doesn't have that information so it tries (multiple ways) to make a page roughly the length of what you would have if you printed it the size of a paper back book.
Indeed. user_none do you have anywhere manual how to use your page generator and how to embed this file. I am trying to make Pages to work. I made my ePub book with Sigil then I published it with Kindle Direct Publishing but it has no Pages. How do I embed that file into the book. Let's say into the mobi format before publishing it?

Attachment 169154

Thanks a lot for the developing Sigil. I ported many books for NGO I used to work with. Main goal was to run those books with Read-Aloud so people would be able to listen to it. Now I am trying to help the to do fundraising and publish their books on Amazon. One thing I couldn't make to work is the Pages. Florida - nice. I am on the other coast - Oregon(PNW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Use the Count Pages plugin to generate page numbers. If you then send the book to your Kindle directly from Calibre, it will display page numbers.
Great. I will try it.

Last edited by iltp; 01-18-2019 at 01:19 PM.
iltp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #125
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This thread describes the method (APNX) that Amazon uses to provide page numbers to Kindle devices for books in formats prior to KFX, and how to "fake it" so that sideloaded books will display with page numbers.

This is NOT the method that publishers use to supply page numbers that correspond to a print edition to Amazon when publishing a book. I don't know if this feature (called "real page numbers" by Amazon) is even available for KDP publishers. I haven't seen it documented anywhere.

It appears that professional publishers are able to supply page numbers to Amazon using PageList or page-map markup. If you added one of those to a KDP book it might work or it might be ignored. Perhaps someone with more KDP experience could say.

----------

Added: I was mistaken about it not being documented. The Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines covers this in section 9.3.11 "Enabling Real Page Numbers". I don't know whether or not that information applies to KDP.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-18-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added info
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
apnx, page numbers