Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 AM   #1
Arvid N.
Arvid N. began at the beginning.

Device: None
E-book Viewer can only read a few pages at a time

I use E-book viewer in preference to all the other viewers I've tried, for Epubs, anyway. The problem is, at the end of each chapter at most, and often much less, I get "no such file or directory" and have to quit and restart to move to the next chunk. For the book I'm currently reading, it's more like every 10 pages. This is annoying, to say no more. Is there any way to fix this? I'm on the current version of Calibre, 3.40, on an old polycarbonate MacBook running El Capitan.

Here's a typical error message, the last one:

calibre, version 3.40.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/user/Library/Caches/calibre/ev/tmpRiPoqF/a/1439132755__p__split_049.htm'

calibre 3.40.1 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-15.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '15.6.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 15.6.0: Thu Jun 21 20:07:40 PDT 2018; root:xnu-3248.73.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.15
OSX: ('10.11.6', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 5) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 1311, in keyPressEvent
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 1363, in handle_key_press
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 1322, in paged_col_scroll
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 1112, in next_document
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 827, in load_path
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 927, in load_path
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/oeb/display/webview.py", line 61, in load_html
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/user/Library/Caches/calibre/ev/tmpRiPoqF/a/1439132755__p__split_049.htm'
Arvid N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:09 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think something is cleaning up your temporary directory.

The viewer works by unpacking the book to temporary storage and then loading each file it is made up of as you read. I'd say what is happening is that you open one file, and while reading that, the rest of the files are cleaned up. When you turn the page to the next file, it isn't there and the error occurs.

I have no idea how to fix this on a Mac. I don't know if there is a process you need to stop, an exception to add or if you need to move calibre's temporary storage to a different location.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:37 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Arvid N. - try giving calibre a dedicated directory for its temporary files. See ==>> Environment Variables - CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 AM   #4
Arvid N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid N. View Post
I use E-book viewer in preference to all the other viewers I've tried, for Epubs, anyway. The problem is, at the end of each chapter at most, and often much less, I get "no such file or directory" and have to quit and restart to move to the next chunk. For the book I'm currently reading, it's more like every 10 pages. This is annoying, to say no more. Is there any way to fix this? I'm on the current version of Calibre, 3.40, on an old polycarbonate MacBook running El Capitan.

Here's a typical error message, the last one:

calibre, version 3.40.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/user/Library/Caches/calibre/ev/tmpRiPoqF/a/1439132755__p__split_049.htm'

calibre 3.40.1 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-15.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '15.6.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 15.6.0: Thu Jun 21 20:07:40 PDT 2018; root:xnu-3248.73.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.15
OSX: ('10.11.6', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 5) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 1311, in keyPressEvent
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 1363, in handle_key_press
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 1322, in paged_col_scroll
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 1112, in next_document
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py", line 827, in load_path
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/documentview.py", line 927, in load_path
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/oeb/display/webview.py", line 61, in load_html
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/user/Library/Caches/calibre/ev/tmpRiPoqF/a/1439132755__p__split_049.htm'
Ah, so in other words I'm doing it to myself. I wondered why this started relatively recently when nothing's really changed...except--Firefox has been taking longer and longer to close a tab, like half an hour for a long blog thread, along with "unresponsive script" warnings, and I found I could mitigate this behavior by clearing my caches frequently. Of course I'm also clearing E-book Viewer's cache, because I'm too lazy to drill down one more layer and just clear my browser cache. Well, I feel like an idiot! But thank you muchly!
Old 03-22-2019, 02:24 AM   #5
Arvid N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Arvid N. - try giving calibre a dedicated directory for its temporary files. See ==>> Environment Variables - CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR.

BR
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give this a try--if I'm smart enough to figure it out--so I can continue making the same mistake without worrying about it.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid N. View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give this a try--if I'm smart enough to figure it out--so I can continue making the same mistake without worrying about it.
You should never run a 'cleaner' with any other apps running, because the too, may use 'scratch' files. Usually these clean up after they close (or close the project). Leftovers are usually the result of ABENDS (crashes) or really sloppy apps. (Calibre is not sloppy)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Arvid N. - to clear Firefox's cache - press Ctrl+Shift+Del and check Cache... ONLY.

And there's a link to a web site that describes how to set MacOS environment variables at the end of the calibre Environment Variables page I gave you.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote