Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #121
Shadow128
Shadow128 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
You should be fine just sideload the hotfix
Thanks for the help
Now KOReader is running on my kindle.

But maybe some additional infos for your first post in the thread (or Github).
After installing the jailbreak with step 19 my kindle rebooted in the demo mode (with chinese language). ;uzb was not not working, so I'd enter ;demo after a reboot and then the demo configuration opened. Sideload the update_hotfix_languagebreak.bin and installed it.
Afterwards exit the demo mode and I'd to re-install the update_hotfix_languagebreak.bin.

Next problem.. KUAL installed and opened, but only a white page. From a previous anser I've seen my mistake, I took the wrong KUAL file (not coplate).
After installing the correct KUAL it is working.

Maybe also a point for a FAQ?
But... Now it works.. THANKS again!!!
Shadow128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #122
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@reminon
Thank you!
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2023, 03:54 PM   #123
KoKoRoKo
KoKoRoKo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Marek, did this update happen when you had renameotabin enabled or not? I am just figuring out whether Amazon figured out renameotabin and made backup OTA update mechanisms…
Hello, I installed this extension and the ota bin file was still downloading. Is that supposed to happen or is it unintentional? (Tested on PW 5 with 5.16.2.1.1)
KoKoRoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:36 PM   #124
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow128 View Post
Thanks for the help
Now KOReader is running on my kindle.

But maybe some additional infos for your first post in the thread (or Github).
After installing the jailbreak with step 19 my kindle rebooted in the demo mode (with chinese language). ;uzb was not not working, so I'd enter ;demo after a reboot and then the demo configuration opened. Sideload the update_hotfix_languagebreak.bin and installed it.
Afterwards exit the demo mode and I'd to re-install the update_hotfix_languagebreak.bin.

Next problem.. KUAL installed and opened, but only a white page. From a previous anser I've seen my mistake, I took the wrong KUAL file (not coplate).
After installing the correct KUAL it is working.

Maybe also a point for a FAQ?
But... Now it works.. THANKS again!!!
The new hotfix released earlier is divided into separate bins so users can select their language to move to.
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:46 PM   #125
thejoker954
thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.thejoker954 is that somebody.

Device: 11th gen kindle
Awesome!

Kindle 11th gen(2022) 5.16.2.1.1

Not sure if I misunderstood the directions but 1st reboot after step 19 was in english.

;uzb didnt seem to do anything?

usb data wasn't working and I couldn't get back to the demo menu to sideload so I had to reboot it again.

after that I could get back to demo menu and sideload the hotfix (not sure if it was actually needed as I was already in english.)

the other steps worked fine after.

**edit**
Upon further use it seems it didn't quite work. when I went to check wifi it was greyed out and was saying something about being managed.

reinstalling.

Last edited by thejoker954; 10-29-2023 at 09:06 PM. Reason: more info
thejoker954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2023, 07:19 PM   #126
Jeerachee
Jeerachee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by trincheta View Post
Hi Marek! Thank you very much for your help and effort on this jailbreak.
I am new to Kindle, not to mention how to jailbreak them. I got this Paperwhite 3 WiFi with 5.16.2.1.1 and I can't seem to get the jailbreak working.
I got to the Pseudot language selection, then the Kindle was in Chinese. I got to sideload the update_hotfix_languagebreak.bin and it applied correctly. The device rebooted into Chinese again but at least I had the mkk folder when plugging USB, so everything was there I guess. Except that I wasn't able to change the language! Google lens said it was the "Device is managed" error.
Anyways, I went further and tried to install KUAL/MRPI with this instructions: https://kindlemodding.gitbook.io/kin...ling-kual-mrpi

And I get some errors saying that it couldn't remount rootfs as RO with a "-_-" emoji... I guess that's not good since I don't see anything in the Library tab, I should see Kual there, right?

Edit: I tried to reinstall 5.16.2.1.1, erase everything and start over again two or three times and this is the most I got. I can provide some photos of the process if that would help.
I'm having this same issue with installing KUAL/MRPI on version 5.16.2.1.1 PW5 SE except I do seem to get what appears to be a crash log titled KPPMainAppV2… added to the library
Jeerachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:39 PM   #127
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have managed to jailbreak Oasis 3 after upgrading fw to 5.16.2.1.1 (couldn't get step 15 usb connection with fw 5.15.3).

But am getting the reported rootfs errors being reported with ";log mrpi" after the MR install step.

i've combed through this thread several times and it's unclear whether ";log mrpi" rootfs errors are all user errors or a problem for some kindle models/fw -- some reporting it works, some not.

**UPDATE**

this is my first jailbreak so was reticent to proceed further... Had a problem locating the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 (referenced in the coplate README) until i figured out it wasn't bundled with the KUAL (coplate) repo but the KUAL (non-coplate) repo.

Installed the KUAL-KDK document, then the KOReader application folders.. BINGO!

At least was able to launch KOReader -- now to configure it and side load some epubs.

TL;DR The rootfs errors (whose error icons and messages look like fatal errors) appear to be bogus... at least for this post jailbreak install.

Much thanks to everyone involved. Given the gymnastics involved to perform the jailbreak... it's inconceivable to me how all those involved could possibly figure out how to circumvent the firmware!!

Last edited by sdothum; 10-30-2023 at 08:47 AM.
sdothum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:17 PM   #128
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrangry View Post
I recently jailbroke my kindle PW4, fw 5.16.2.1.1 and installed KUAL using the modified mrinstaller without version check. After the installation, the kual document appeared in my library, so I suspect it was installed just fine. But in the mrinstaller log file it has these two lines, just after the success:

Failed to remount rootfs RO, waiting . . .

Really failed to remount rootfs RO -_-

I'm not sure what this means, should I be worried?
That vaguely rings a bell (i.e., there's a reason we try this twice or thrice), but it's mostly harmless. Reboot your device to prevent any further footgun possibilities and you should be fine.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-29-2023 at 10:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:58 PM   #129
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKoRoKo View Post
Hello, I installed this extension and the ota bin file was still downloading. Is that supposed to happen or is it unintentional? (Tested on PW 5 with 5.16.2.1.1)
Installed and run?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 02:20 AM   #130
KoKoRoKo
KoKoRoKo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Installed and run?
I also ran it.
KoKoRoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:11 AM   #131
a632079
a632079 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW5
Thanks a lot for poster effort!

I am already already do jalibreak successfully in my KPW5 PW 5.15.1.1.
Click image for larger version

Name:	033fa039d8156044b50daef930cbaa3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	204479

Last edited by issybird; 10-30-2023 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Oversize image attached as thumbnail. Please read the guidelines for limits on image size.
a632079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:27 AM   #132
bearthang
bearthang began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm stuck after step 19. There no log messages on the screen then it comes back to step 3 (back to demo mode).

Could anyone help me?
bearthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:45 AM   #133
xbot
xbot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
My Kindle Oasis 2nd generation is stuck on step 7. I forgot to delete the .bin file in Kindle Storage before starting. I have jailbroken before, but then I accidentally upgraded to 5.16.2.1.1. Probably for this reason, an error message appeared after step 6, and then the Kindle kept cycling through all the screensaver pictures, even long pressing 20s I can only restart the machine and continue to cycle through the screensavers, but now I can't shut it down. What can I do?
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:47 AM   #134
Marek
Zealot
Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbot View Post
My Kindle Oasis 2nd generation is stuck on step 7. I forgot to delete the .bin file in Kindle Storage before starting. I have jailbroken before, but then I accidentally upgraded to 5.16.2.1.1. Probably for this reason, an error message appeared after step 6, and then the Kindle kept cycling through all the screensaver pictures, even long pressing 20s I can only restart the machine and continue to cycle through the screensavers, but now I can't shut it down. What can I do?
If you were jaillbroken before try just installing the hotfix
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #135
xbot
xbot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
If you were jaillbroken before try just installing the hotfix
I am stuck, I cannot do anything now. The Kindle Storage directory cannot be displayed even when the Kindle is plugged into the MacBook.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak