Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Changing book titles of epubs (specifically removing "Barnes & Noble Classic Series"

So, I've got all my epub's stripped of DRM (for my own personal use), I've got them loaded into Calibre, I've edited the titles, and I've used Calibre2opds to get them on my nook.

But all the titles of my "classic series" books still say "Barnes & Noble Classic Series", even though I've edited the metadata. How can I get that text removed?

Thanks!
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Note that correcting the metadata in calibre does not get it into the actual ebook file but merely into the calibre database. If you were loading the books onto the nook via Calibre then this would not matter as the "Send to Device" command would update the metadata during the transfer.

If you are using calibre2opds then you are by-passing this stage. The solution is to run an epub to epub conversion on your books in calibre which forces the actual ebook file to have it's metadata updated so that you will see the changes when calibre2opds transfers the book onto the nook..

Thanks for bringing this up - I will update the calibre2opds online documentation to mention this. I suspect most people do not encounter this as their books have often been converted in calibre from another format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Note that correcting the metadata in calibre does not get it into the actual ebook file but merely into the calibre database. If you were loading the books onto the nook via Calibre then this would not matter as the "Send to Device" command would update the metadata during the transfer.

If you are using calibre2opds then you are by-passing this stage. The solution is to run an epub to epub conversion on your books in calibre which forces the actual ebook file to have it's metadata updated so that you will see the changes when calibre2opds transfers the book onto the nook..

Thanks for bringing this up - I will update the calibre2opds online documentation to mention this. I suspect most people do not encounter this as their books have often been converted in calibre from another format.
Thank you, running an epub to epub conversion worked. I just tested it with one book, and it looks good. Is there anything I have to worry about with converting? If it's epub to epub, it should be pretty much the same, correct?

THanks!
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
Is there anything I have to worry about with converting? If it's epub to epub, it should be pretty much the same, correct?
Well, you lose the original and there's no "undo." I worry, so I've always made a copy of the record (Add empty book|Merge with "keep others") then check the result. I haven't done it enough to know if there's any chance of a conversion that makes a mess of the book, but I can say that I've never seen a bad conversion.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote