Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Cash grab.
https://www.newsweek.com/textbook-co...resell-1449860
This is sort of the worst case scenario for ebooks. Drives home the point you are renting, and not owning ebooks.
Yes, but students are renting and not purchasing textbooks, for the most part, so this is sort of the same thing. And Pearson does not get anything for book rentals apart from the initial sale. So they want to squish that business.

Google and Amazon both rent ebook textbooks. I have to think publisher gets a cut of that, unlike book rentals.

The other approach would be a subscription service like O’Reilly (safari books online), but for textbooks. But while it is clear how publishers make money renting etextbooks for $10/month each, it is not clear what they’d have to charge for an all you can eat service.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-18-2019 at 10:43 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
A large part of the problem is "Publish or Perish". Advancement in an academic career is strongly influenced by publishing papers and books, and always has been. Academics who don't have a strong record of being published do not get the choice positions.

Wally
I doubt that textbooks count as academic publications.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #18
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I doubt that textbooks count as academic publications.
They don't count as academic publications, but (at least here in France) they are seen as proof of academic activity, and so will be counted positively for a promotion.

(But then, here they certainly don't bring much income to their authors - the authors will typically get a minuscule portion of a book's price, and since there is no tradition of forcing a textbook on students, sales are pretty low)
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #19
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Text books are a source of income for professors and colleges....this is nothing new...but it is at an egregious level IMHO.
When I went to college in the '70s over half my textbooks were written by my professors. My Fortran IV textbook was written by my Calculus professor, even though he did not teach computer science.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #20
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
My college textbooks, back in the 70's, would cost about $100-$200 each. I wonder how high they will price these new eBook versions?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert