Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 03:44 AM   #1
JonL77
JonL77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Looking for books that combine science and horror

Hi

I’m looking for books that deal with science and horror. I’m not sure what it is about it but I love the idea of scientists meddling with something that creates something horrific. Examples of this would be the latest Doom game. Scientists in a sterile controlled environment unleashing literal hell. Another good example would be Event Horizon and the Dead Space games.

I’m looking mainly for science and interesting/thought provoking ideas and concepts rather than ‘pure’ horror.

Would be great to get some recommendations as I think I’ve consumed every other medium (films/games) that deal with this topic.

Thanks
Jon
JonL77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL77 View Post
Hi

I’m looking for books that deal with science and horror. I’m not sure what it is about it but I love the idea of scientists meddling with something that creates something horrific. Examples of this would be the latest Doom game. Scientists in a sterile controlled environment unleashing literal hell. Another good example would be Event Horizon and the Dead Space games.

I’m looking mainly for science and interesting/thought provoking ideas and concepts rather than ‘pure’ horror.

Would be great to get some recommendations as I think I’ve consumed every other medium (films/games) that deal with this topic.

Thanks
Jon

Obviously, the book that started this was Frankenstein. Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain was a classic, as was Jurassic Park. There are Doom tie-in books out there.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut is about a terrible invention (ice-9) that threatens the Earth. The book is really about human stupidity, though, so the horror is inescapable.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Alter of Eden, by James Rollins
Pulse, by Jeremy Robinson

These are more Action/Adventure, but they are action/adventure that was caused/preceded by scientists messing with things that they probably shouldn't have been messing with.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Rick Yancy's The Monstrumologist and sequels.

Recommend the Gene Wolfe story "The HORARS of War."

Both fall into more of the thought-provoking bucket, IMHO.

Recommend avoiding anything and everything by Michael Crichton. He wrote his "scientists" as unethical fiends, which usually ends up driving the plot. Gets real dull real fast.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Mira Grant: Newsflesh series (triology + a few novelettes, I think), starting with Feed.

A cure for the common cold + a cure for cancer + criminally careless optimism + bad luck = zombies!
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:16 AM   #7
JonL77
JonL77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you all for the suggestions. More suggestions welcome ��
JonL77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
My first thought was "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts. However, that's merely horrifying. Not Horror, per se.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Blindsight, and its sequel Echopraxia, by Peter Watts.
Blood Music by Greg Bear.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
More the interaction of humans with incomprehensible alien tech. Roadside Picnic, Strugatsky.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Recommend avoiding anything and everything by Michael Crichton. He wrote his "scientists" as unethical fiends, which usually ends up driving the plot. Gets real dull real fast.
They aren't for everyone but I have enjoyed the MC that I have read. And some of them definitely fit.

Beyond that, The Hot Zone by Richard Preston is pretty horrifying. Again, not really a horror book, just horrifying.

The Silo/Wool series by Hugh Howey is good too, although not much about the horror that was unleashed. Just the aftereffects and what it did to society.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote