Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #61
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Has anyone looked in a B&N store for the device? I remember the Glowlight 3 was on display there at least a week before it went on sale. I don't remember if it was up on the website at that point. I will pass a store tomorrow (Sunday) and check.

I was a loyal Nook customer until I tried the Kobo (Clara). But I think I want to try a bigger screen and wouldn't mind having the buttons back. (The waterproofing has never seemed a big attraction.)

I assume they won't make the same mistake with partitioning. But that is very easy to check when you go to the system settings and check storage.

My other pet peeve with the Nook SW is that they keep the browser locked down. Both Kindle and Kobo keep the browser accessible from the menu.
Usually browsing on e-ink is painful, but there's a great site, reabble.com, that optimizes the innoreader newsreader for e-ink, and it works great.

I used to have to ADB and install a launcher on the Nook, but every few weeks the device would lock up and I'd have to hard reset and start over.

But maybe without the partition nonsense, this would be easier.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:21 AM   #62
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Nice, I like that B&N is trying something different by going with an 8" screen. This opens up a new e-reader category - at least in the US market - and poses a challenge to Amazon. While I love my 7" Kindle Oasis, the Nook's IR screen and color temperature system makes for a superior display.

As someone who owned a Nook ST for a long time, I've been rooting for the underdog to finally give Amazon some competition. But unfortunately B&N keeps shooting itself in the foot. Their marketing sucks and if this device turns out to be simply a larger version of the 6" Glowlight running the same buggy software, I will take a hard pass on the Nook.

Last edited by azayn; 05-26-2019 at 02:23 AM.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #63
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
I assume they won't make the same mistake with partitioning. But that is very easy to check when you go to the system settings and check storage.
Well that's not exactly true. When the Glowlight 3 was originally released, it had -- and showed -- only 1 GB available. Then with the first update they merged the partitions and it had -- and showed the 6.xx available.

So if they do all that behind the scenes from day one, we won't know.

But lord knows why they would.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:10 AM   #64
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Monday morning.
Nothing on their web site.

Is this real?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #65
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Monday morning.
Nothing on their web site.

Is this real?
Manager at my local store said they’ll have them today, but limited supply. I’m going in when the doors open, so I hope it’s real.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #66
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I just called our local Barnes&Noble store and they do have the new Glowlight 3s in stock today. So they are real!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #67
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

$179.99 on sale today in store.
After membership discount, was $161 for a 7.8" e-reader. Almost bought two.

Edit:

Mine has a stuck pixel fresh out of the box.

https://imgur.com/XvpMNRi

Last edited by AkiraReader; 05-27-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #68
wjhill
wjhill began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I've got one as well, not getting recognized by Calibre 3.42. For now I've just sideloaded files and stopped the Nook from auto-syncing.
wjhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #69
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
And STILL nothing on the website that I can see. How do they even expect to sell this? In store? The nook center at the BN closest to me has long been a dust collecting area...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #70
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
And STILL nothing on the website that I can see. How do they even expect to sell this? In store? The nook center at the BN closest to me has long been a dust collecting area...
Just what I was thinking. They make a new product. They don't advertise it. They don't put it on their website. It's like they are trying to hide it. Then they will whine when nobody buys it. Duh!!!
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #71
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Just called local B&N & the answering machine greeting is an announcement about the new Nook Plus & to go down & check/buy. So may be in stock; will check it after my lunch. Also Memorial day sale is 20% off & ends 5/27/2019 at the end of closing time according to the coupon on the website.

Wonder if all stores have the same greeting. I do need to check about the partitioning between Nook books & sideloaded books. Website do mention the new nooks in support but looks to me like just adding Glowlight 3 Plus to the subheadings.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #72
rumitg2
rumitg2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight PLus 7.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
$179.99 on sale today in store.
After membership discount, was $161 for a 7.8" e-reader. Almost bought two.

Edit:

Mine has a stuck pixel fresh out of the box.

https://imgur.com/XvpMNRi
How did you get it for $179? My store had them for $200
rumitg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #73
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
My local stores weren't having a sale either. I did get the member discount which brought it down to 179.99. There's a 20% Memorial Day coupon that I used on a cover (once they could be persuaded to go into the back room and search for the still-packed covers) but Nook devices were excluded.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #74
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I found the User's Guide online. It has sideloading instructions but no info about available memory for sideloaded content. I can't find any specifications.

https://dispatch.barnesandnoble.com/...User_Guide.pdf
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #75
AkiraReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumitg2 View Post
How did you get it for $179? My store had them for $200
Their printed sign had it discounted to $179 here in Dallas, so I assume it's not isolated to just one store.