Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
good summary

I fail to see what if any benefits there are to the end customer in upgrading i.e. what can ade 3 or 4 do for me that ade 2 can't

except decrypt books from non existent ade 3 only vendors ?

I doubt the ability to render books to read on PC screen has improved at all since version 1 ? or that its primitive librarian facility is of any use to any one ?
ADE 4.5 has the advantage that it handles reading epub3 ebooks a lot better than ADE 2.0.1 though since I don't read using ADE, that's a matter of indifference to me.

And yes, there are a few sites that are using the newer version of ACS and you will get books that can't have their DRM removed by the current tools.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
I envy you both.
I have to decide about Catalina.
If I go for it and there is nothing new for dedrm for ADE 3.0, then I will have to buy only from Amazon, at least while it still lets me just download the book file (without me having to first open it in some 64 bit app like updated Kindle for Mac). For now, that's at least advantage of Amazon for Mac Catalina users.
In my limited testing with ADE 4.5, I found very few sites that actually used the newer ACS and had it configured so that downloaded books used Adobe's newer hardened DRM that would not work with the current DRM tools. I suspect that this will change over time but for now, it's not a big worry.

If you have an older Kindle, you can use the Download for USB option which, at this time, seems to download azw3 not KFX.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #18
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if you could use Kobo Desktop and make use of the Obok tool from Apprentice Alf?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I tried Kobo Desktop very long time back and didn't like it. I didn't consider it again, but maybe you are right and it will be my only choice for Kobo. Though I I also use Google Play quite a lot.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #19
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In my limited testing with ADE 4.5, I found very few sites that actually used the newer ACS and had it configured so that downloaded books used Adobe's newer hardened DRM that would not work with the current DRM tools. I suspect that this will change over time but for now, it's not a big worry.

If you have an older Kindle, you can use the Download for USB option which, at this time, seems to download azw3 not KFX.
Yes, I know that newer DRM is not that used now, but I would still like to have options in case it becomes used at any point of time.
As for Kindle, yes, I have the old ones and I always go with download to USB. It is a pity that there is no such option with epubs and that you have to open .ascm file in something instead of just downloading epub file and directly importing it to Caliber. But then Adobe wouldn't earn that much, I guess.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Yes, I know that newer DRM is not that used now, but I would still like to have options in case it becomes used at any point of time.
As for Kindle, yes, I have the old ones and I always go with download to USB. It is a pity that there is no such option with epubs and that you have to open .ascm file in something instead of just downloading epub file and directly importing it to Caliber. But then Adobe wouldn't earn that much, I guess.
I've found about half of the epubs I download from Kobo do not have DRM. Of course, they come with those GUID stylenames like synced kepubs but they do have the epub extension.

As for turning on the newer DRM, the local library system plans on avoiding that as long as possible -- just too many systems that do not support the hardened DRM still in use and they don't want the headache of dealing with the inevitable complaints.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #21
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not sure about you in particular, but I was having problems having using ADE and CLoudLibrary on the same computer (I was running ADE 2.x). ADE 4.x solved the problem. If I run into problems in the future, I'll downgrade to 2.X.
Yes. I've had problems with CloudLibrary because of some clash between the authorisation through ADE and through my CL user/password. It was solved for a while by re-installing in a particular order (CL last I think).

But the problem came back. I solved it permanently by no longer using CloudLibrary! (the library that uses it doesn't have the greatest selection in there so I use the one that has Overdrive instead).
latepaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #22
AdmiralAsshat
AdmiralAsshat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
If I purchase / download a book directly from my Kobo, what version of the ADE encryption will it use? I am intending to removing the DRM once downloaded.

If it is recommended to download the Kobo desktop app instead in order to ensure an older version of ADE is used, I can try that, although my laptop is running Linux. I'm not looking forward to setting up another Wine environment like I did for the Kindle for PC app.
AdmiralAsshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #23
ps67
Zealot
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
If you download the book from the Kobo device (or Kobo Desktop) keep in mind that Kobo uses his own DRM. And You need the OBOK plugin from Alf. (a detailed information about get rid of DRM is not permitted here)

You will obtain a file with Adobe DRM (if the book is not DRM free) only if You manually download the book from the Kobo site.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #24
AdmiralAsshat
AdmiralAsshat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
If you download the book from the Kobo device (or Kobo Desktop) keep in mind that Kobo uses his own DRM. And You need the OBOK plugin from Alf. (a detailed information about get rid of DRM is not permitted here)

You will obtain a file with Adobe DRM (if the book is not DRM free) only if You manually download the book from the Kobo site.
Thanks for the info! I had installed DeDRM and its siblings previously for Amazon, so I didn't realize it had Kobo-defeating powers, too.
AdmiralAsshat is offline   Reply With Quote