Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #31
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
It's the correct rotation for the Kobo Glo HD.
Thank you for trying!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #32
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've just tried Plato 0.2.0 on my Aura One (the latest firmware and latest KSM) using tshering's script. I'm not at all familiar with Linux so I've no idea what's behind the code, so I can only comment on my user experience. It executed and it just looks beautiful, clean and sharp. Colour inversion, browsing, the bitonal setting, search and sorting all work very well. With tshering's script, the rotation is properly maintained, and everything is pretty much seamless on that front.

I'm no expert, but I presume some of the issues I've encountered might simply be a consequence of a lack of setting things up as Plato wants/needs things to be. For example, some settings don't seem to do anything, and I'm not sure if my device is at fault, or if it's because they aren't there yet. The brightness doesn't seem to work, nothing happens when I press the font button, etc.

Also, Plato found 4077 books in my library across 453 pages (the actual number is nowhere near that, it's something like 400 at most). Without going into the complications of having to compile a database, might a simpler solution be to simply display only the supported files? I have noticed that the list included various xml files from KOReader and files from Callibre folders, dictionary files, etc. I have found that I can actually navigate through the real files reasonably well, the main issue being wading through the junk files.

It might be prudent to make the alt key a toggle. When you're trying to input a 2 or 3-digit number into the page skip, it can get annoying. Also, I think that the authors' list needs a way of becoming larger, just to speed up the process of finding an author.

Finally, trying to open a larger epub file crashes Plato back to KSM. My specific files were Delphi editions of Balzac and Dickens, 31 megs and 50+ megs respectively, so it also might be due to the way the files were built? Either way, you can find the log in the spoiler below.

I realise it's early days, but I really like Plato, and with continued development, I can see it becoming my favourite software. I'm here for any and all testing that needs to be done.

Spoiler:
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1838.3617 1600.001
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1838.3617 1600.001
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1408.5567 1408.5942
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1408.5567 1408.5942
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1519.8822 1474.4765
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1519.8822 1474.4765
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1791.9994 1791.9996
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1791.9994 1791.9996
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1248 928
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1248 928
warning: push viewport: 0 0 630.35098 1124.9402
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 630.35098 1124.9402
warning: push viewport: 0 0 630.35098 1124.9402
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 630.35098 1124.9402
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1557.2754 1069.6874
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1557.2754 1069.6874
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1557.2754 1069.6874
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1557.2754 1069.6874
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1829.6248 1069.9426
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1829.6248 1069.9426
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1829.6248 1069.9426
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1829.6248 1069.9426
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1295.3302 1295.3518
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1295.3302 1295.3518
warning: push viewport: 0 0 592.1666 650.3295
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 592.1666 650.3295
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1184.166 1287.7207
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1184.166 1287.7207
warning: push viewport: 0 0 288 288
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 288 288
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1600 1431.0194
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1600 1431.0194
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1599.998 1431.0194
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1599.998 1431.0194
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1423.393 1431.0294
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1423.393 1431.0294
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1423.393 1431.0294
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1423.393 1431.0294
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1431.0187 783.3918
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1431.0187 783.3918
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1120 1120
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1120 1120
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1120 96
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1120 96
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1616.0009 1616
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1616.0009 1616
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1536 1536
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1536 1536
warning: push viewport: 0 0 1600 1280.0039
warning: push viewbox: 0 0 1600 1280.0039
Plato is running on a Kobo Aura ONE.
The framebuffer resolution is 1404 by 1872.
error: ICC Profiles not supported in NO_ICC build
warning: could not load ICC profile in JPEG image
error: ICC Profiles not supported in NO_ICC build
warning: could not load ICC profile in JPEG image
Killed
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Is Plato already supposed to remember the reading progress of a file or which file was opened last? Can't find that mentioned in the TODO.md file. At the moment, as soon as Plato is quit, that seems to be forgotten.

BTW, I really like the clean look of Plato's GUI, I'm looking forward to v0.3.0
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #34
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
For example, some settings don't seem to do anything, and I'm not sure if my device is at fault, or if it's because they aren't there yet.
The latter.

Quote:
The brightness doesn't seem to work,
I haven't written the frontlight dialog yet, but the backend is there.

Quote:
Nothing happens when I press the font button, etc.
I might wire something to this icon, for now it's supposed to just describe what the slider does: change the font size.

Quote:
Also, Plato found 4077 books in my library across 453 pages (the actual number is nowhere near that, it's something like 400 at most). Without going into the complications of having to compile a database, might a simpler solution be to simply display only the supported files? I have noticed that the list included various xml files from KOReader and files from Calibre folders, dictionary files, etc. I have found that I can actually navigate through the real files reasonably well, the main issue being wading through the junk files.
I will address this problem, but I would recommend having your documents in a subdirectory of the SD card (and amend your settings.json accordingly).

Quote:
It might be prudent to make the alt key a toggle. When you're trying to input a 2 or 3-digit number into the page skip, it can get annoying.
You can already lock the ALT key by pressing it twice. But what I'll do in this particular case is just to instantiate the keyboard with ALT locked.

Quote:
Also, I think that the authors' list needs a way of becoming larger, just to speed up the process of finding an author.
This UI element is supposed to be called the summary bar. For now it just displays categories but I had the idea (after having read Note brèves sur l’art et la manière de ranger ses livres in Penser/Classer by Georges Perec) of having a chain of sorting orders: in case of equality, the next sorting order would have been used. In this context, the summary bar could have been used to show the unique fields according to current sorting order. And selecting one of those fields would have switched to the next sorting order, etc.

To come back to the original question: you can already grow the summary bar by swiping from the inside to the outside of the bar, and shrink it by doing the opposite.

You can also set its initial size in settings.json, e.g.:
Code:
{ "summarySize": 2 }
Quote:
Finally, trying to open a larger epub file crashes Plato back to KSM. My specific files were Delphi editions of Balzac and Dickens, 31 megs and 50+ megs respectively, so it also might be due to the way the files were built? Either way, you can find the log in the spoiler below.
It looks like a case of memory exhaustion. I will try to reproduce with large ePUBs.

Quote:
I realise it's early days, but I really like Plato, and with continued development, I can see it becoming my favourite software. I'm here for any and all testing that needs to be done.
Thanks.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #35
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is Plato already supposed to remember the reading progress of a file or which file was opened last?
Yes. All of this goes into the reader key of each entry in the DB.
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #36
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
start Plato from KSM with this script
I've made a small alteration to your script.
Attached Files
File Type: zip start_plato_from_KSM_test.zip (452 Bytes, 649 views)
Old 12-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #37
baskerville
Evangelist

I've released 0.2.1:
  • Unknown and hidden files/directories will not be imported.
  • The log file is now called info.log and becomes crash.log only after a crash.
  • I've applied a patch to mupdf to prevent the log file from being flooded with useless messages.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #38
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hmm, Plato 0.2.1 gives me the following crash: Error: Can't load fonts.
Caused by: cannot open resource

Reverting to 0.2.0 works as previously.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #39
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Plato 0.2.1 gives me the following crash: Error: Can't load fonts.
Caused by: cannot open resource
Sorry about that: it should be fixed now. Please re-download the archive.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #40
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Yes. All of this goes into the reader key of each entry in the DB.
Ah, now I see - it's only written to .metadata.json if you leave via top menu bar -> back button, but not via top menu bar -> menu -> "Quit" button.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #41
taos
Connoisseur

JFYI, building plato-master stops at the moment with:
Code:
error[E0463]: can't find crate for `reqwest`
  --> src/importer.rs:23:1
   |
23 | extern crate reqwest;
   | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ can't find crate

error: aborting due to previous error

error: Could not compile `plato`.
I didn't see that particular problem with the previous version of Cargo.toml.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #42
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
JFYI, building plato-master stops at the moment with:
[CODE]error[E0463]: can't find crate for `reqwest`
Thanks for reporting, this was fixed in a990b6c.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #43
baskerville
Evangelist

I've released 0.3.0.

New features:
  • Suspend/resume.
  • Power off.
  • Mount the SD cards.
  • Enable/disable the WiFi.
  • Set the frontlight levels (including the Aura ONE!), toggle the frontlight.
  • Battery capacity/status indicator.

Please note that Plato relies on /tmp/nickel-hardware-status for knowing when the USB cable is plugged. KSM changes /usr/local/Kobo/udev/plug and prevents it from writing to the aforementioned FIFO. I'll suggest a different approach to tshering when he returns.

I've only tested the suspend feature on the Glo HD, using the (experimental) standalone launcher. It is therefore not recommended to try to suspend for the moment.

I've started a manual that describes the user interactions.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 AM   #44
baskerville
Evangelist

I forgot to mention that the wifi-{enable,disable}.sh scripts won't work when Plato is launched via KSM: the required environment variables are defined late in rcS and KSM starts early.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #45
baskerville
Evangelist

Suspending/resuming works fine on the Aura ONE when Plato is launched with fmon.