Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
At the time I got the Clara None of my ebooks were on Calibre or any where on my PC hard Drive.

When I got my ebooks on Calibre later & tried to transfer more then 100 ebooks at a time the Dang Calibre would Lock up! I kept having to reboot pc. took dang near a Month to get it done.

The transfer I talking about you do the hookups then go into>devices & files folder> open the device you Have the ebooks in Right click the drop down open the ebook files HIGHLIGHT ALL Files! Then open the transfer file & click on the device you want to send them to! Then leave the PC alone Read a book watch a movie heck go to bed! SIMPLE!!!
Except the OP already has Calibre set up, and it’s likely that had you left Calibre to run transferring everything it would have done it. It’s also very possible it was something to do with your pc or Calibre set up.

Sure your method works but there are better methods for doing a more complete transfer which others have detailed.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Except the OP already has Calibre set up, and it’s likely that had you left Calibre to run transferring everything it would have done it. It’s also very possible it was something to do with your pc or Calibre set up.

Sure your method works but there are better methods for doing a more complete transfer which others have detailed.

Brand New HD on PC so No didn't have Calibre DL yet.

Fine If you or others want to use Calira & the SLOWWW way fine by me. I Don't Care! Your choice. Me it works I

BTW any notes or highlights or collections you made on the old device Transfers to the New Device.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-16-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:31 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Brand New HD on PC so No didn't have Calibre DL yet.

Fine If you or others want to use Calira & the SLOWWW way fine by me. I Don't Care! Your choice. Me it works I

BTW any notes or highlights or collections you made on the old device Transfers to the New Device.
If that is what happened, then you were lucky. What you described copied the database from one device to the other. I wouldn't have expected the database to survive when you ejected the device. I would have expected the device to clear the database and take you through the setup. Then it would have imported the sideloaded books. The collections would have been lost. The notes and highlights might have been reloaded from files for epubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:17 AM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gee Where did I say Not to set up the new device 1st???? sheesh

Well then I been LUCKY 6-8 times!
Old 09-16-2019, 03:58 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Gee Where did I say Not to set up the new device 1st???? sheesh

Well then I been LUCKY 6-8 times!
Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. There are certain things in the database that should be generated based on the hardware of the device. My expectation is that doing what you said you did would trip over those values and trigger the setup. There has been plenty of discussion on doing this and they all came down to something would need to be done to the database to allow the device to use it.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:06 AM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

What ever. I am Done try it or not do or do Not sheesh
Old 10-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #22
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If that is what happened, then you were lucky. What you described copied the database from one device to the other. I wouldn't have expected the database to survive when you ejected the device. I would have expected the device to clear the database and take you through the setup. Then it would have imported the sideloaded books. The collections would have been lost. The notes and highlights might have been reloaded from files for epubs.
Sometimes I really feel dumb. Just where are the options for getting/sending out the database? I have files on my computer in .kobo for both the old (auraHD) and the new (Librah20) ... but, I can't seem to figure out where in Calibre the option to send the old database out is. In Calibre I have the device connected and I can press <Device>->Configure this Device->update metadata. But, no matter what I do the reading status on the new device is not updated.

Sorry if I'm being brain dead about this. But, I'm really getting to my wits end
Mellobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellobob View Post
Sometimes I really feel dumb. Just where are the options for getting/sending out the database? I have files on my computer in .kobo for both the old (auraHD) and the new (Librah20) ... but, I can't seem to figure out where in Calibre the option to send the old database out is. In Calibre I have the device connected and I can press <Device>->Configure this Device->update metadata. But, no matter what I do the reading status on the new device is not updated.
There isn't anything quite like what you describe. Calibre doesn't support it. My Kobo Utilities plugin has options to fetch the reading status from the device, and send it back later. Or you can just make selected books as read or unread.

The plugin can also backup the database from the device. You can then manually, and carefully, restore the database. This can work to restore the reading status. My experience is mixed. Restoring to the same device works. Restoring to a different device doesn't always.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #24
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There isn't anything quite like what you describe. Calibre doesn't support it. My Kobo Utilities plugin has options to fetch the reading status from the device, and send it back later. Or you can just make selected books as read or unread.

The plugin can also backup the database from the device. You can then manually, and carefully, restore the database. This can work to restore the reading status. My experience is mixed. Restoring to the same device works. Restoring to a different device doesn't always.
Do I need a separate column or something for that? I have KoboUtilites installed as a plugin in Calibre. In your plugin there is an option <Current reading colum> but I only get a blank when I click on the bar.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #25
Mellobob
Connoisseur

Oh, I see ... it's in the docs I managed to create a new column, but I can't seem to get it to populate. I'll print the doc page out in the morning and see if that helps.