Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 01-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #106
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny14
hello all ,

geekraver good work

is it possible to create .pdf format file of the engadget rss feeds for the past 10 days ( http://www.engadget.com/rss.xml ) using this software ?
I published an entry you can subscribe to, butyou could have done it yourself; they don't get much easier to add new feeds than full-text RSS feeds like Engadgets. All you had to do was enter a name and the URL.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #107
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

geekraver , you are a genius .

1- now is it possible to make the .pdf font bolder ?

2- why i can't sync directly to my reader ? it says "Failed to sync C:\rss2book.pdf " .

1-the reader was attached
2- the sony connect software was not running
3- and in options i have set it to sync directly to my reader memory and i am sure that i've set the sony connect directory correctly .
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #108
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
geekraver , you are a genius .

1- now is it possible to make the .pdf font bolder ?

2- why i can't sync directly to my reader ? it says "Failed to sync C:\rss2book.pdf " .

1-the reader was attached
2- the sony connect software was not running
3- and in options i have set it to sync directly to my reader memory and i am sure that i've set the sony connect directory correctly .
1. I'm surprised you need it bolder than it is; could you send me the details of the feed you think is inadequate? What are you font settings on the page layout tab? I find Helvetica 14 very readable.

2. I'm not sure. What did you select on the Sync Files To option? For main memory I use /Data/media/books IIRC, for SD I use b:/, and for Memory Stick I use a:/, but I guessed at the latter as I don't have a memory stick. Is the Sony CONNECT Software Directory option set correctly? (on my system this is c:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\bin; note the \Data\bin part; you want to point to the directory that has the Sony DLLs for synching).

If none of the above tips help I can only suggest using a debug version of usbshim.dll; I'll attach it to this message. This will write some diagnostic info to the file c:\usbshim.log that may shed light on things.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UsbShim.zip (10.6 KB, 440 views)
Old 01-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #109
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

1- what do u mean by b:/ , a:/ , /Data/media/books IIRC ? i've set my pc output directory to c: and sync files to sd card .

2-geekraver on my pc where do i have to put UsbShim.dll ?

thanks .
Old 01-28-2007, 01:27 AM   #110
geekraver
Addict

1. I guess what I was asking is are you using a memory stick, as I just guessed at what the underlying setting was for that case. But as you're using SD that shouldn't be an issue; I use SD myself.

2. In the same directory as rss2book.exe (you'll already have one; you need to temporarily replace that with the debug version, re-run rss2book, try sync, and then look at the debug output in c:\usbshim.log
Advert
Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #111
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

geekraver now it's working , thanks alot .
Old 01-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #112
loneBoat
Geek
loneBoat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Whenever I have a large number of feeds selected, HTMLdoc crashes. Does anyone know anything about the limitations of HTMLdoc?

P.S. This is my first post ever at mobileread. Yahoo!
loneBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #113
lhilden
Junior Mint
lhilden began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
GeekRaver,

This tool rocks! I sat down to write something similar this weekend and it turns out you already did it. When I first picked this thing up I was really disappointed. The hardware is great, but the content bites. 8 1/2 x 11 PDFs are totally unreadable, the books on Sony Connect suck, and the RSS feeds are a joke.

Anyway thanks so much for writing this, I'll will be PayPal'n something. I was so impressed I contributed a bunch of RSS feeds for SF Bay Area content this weekend.

A couple of issues I ran into with release 20:

1. Consider putting in a check in feed name column to make sure there are no illegal filename characters. I got an error when I tried to put a colon in the Name since you use that when you create the output file.

2. The 'Days' field on the Customize feed dialog doesn't take '0' for a valid value like the "Number of Days" field does in the Options-->Sync tab. It would be nice if it did. To work around this I setup my feeds with a high days number like 30.

Thanks again,
Lou
lhilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #114
firebird2k
firebird2k began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Love the program. I may have went a little overboard on RSS feeds. My pdf file came out to about 500 pages in PDF. Seems to take forever to load up. Any ideas on how to speed it up?

Also with Release 20, I set the Number of Days to 3 days, but it seems to be pulling the entire feed. Anyway to control that when I click on the go button and limit the number of days?

Thanks!
firebird2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #115
geekraver
Addict

loneBoat, firebird2k - I recommend using the option to split each feed up into a separate file. It makes things much more manageable once you have a large number of feeds and will make htmldoc crashes less of an issue (also you can try use the build in PDF converter instead of htmldoc; it is nowhere near as complete but it works okay for me).

Lou, thanks for the feedback. Number 2 was already on my TODO list; I'll look into escaping colons to work around issue 1.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #116
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

hi,

i entered the rss feeds :

http://www.hdbeat.com/rss.xml
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/rss.xml

and set the days to to 3 and output file format to pdf .

the problem : the generated pdf file of each rss feed only consist the last 3 posts while it should consist about 20 posts , why is this happening ?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #117
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
hi,

i entered the rss feeds :

http://www.hdbeat.com/rss.xml
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/rss.xml

and set the days to to 3 and output file format to pdf .

the problem : the generated pdf file of each rss feed only consist the last 3 posts while it should consist about 20 posts , why is this happening ?
Did you set the Days value in the Options menu to zero? If it is not zero it overrides the per-feed values.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #118
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
Did you set the Days value in the Options menu to zero? If it is not zero it overrides the per-feed values.
yes it is set to 0 .

i tried it again now it generates a pdf file with only 7 posts , it changes from time to time ( yesterday it was 15 posts ) . but in the log file it always says

Processing feed ps3fanboy
Added 20 articles
Old 02-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #119
geekraver
Addict

Thanks - I've found and fixed this bug. I'll release an update shortly once I've added a couple of other feature requests.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #120
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

thanks geekraver .