Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
See my writeup on this on TeleRead:

http://www.teleread.com/library/birm...-opens-europe/

I'm okay with the architecture one way or another - what's dismal about the whole affair is Birmingham ploughing money into these civic egoboost projects while the rest of the country's public library sector is in meltdown.
This is a flawed analysis. As has already been stated, funding for this project was obtained in 2008, before the recent economic slowdown. It's regrettable that local libraries should have to close, but it's not as a result of this superb new library in Birmingham.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #32
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
So, I just went and had a brief look round the new library. I think it looks better close-up than in some of the pictures I've seen and the inside is really nice. The 3rd floor garden space is lovely with great views (it's a nice sunny day today, so that helped) and the square in front of the library is quite pretty.

There seemed to be quite a few empty shelves - not sure if this is because they haven't finished moving books from the old library yet or room for expansion?

There'll always be the negative element that moan that the money could have been spent better elsewhere (and maybe they have a point), but, for me, we now have a beautiful, modern, functional library that can inspire people in the city to read for years to come.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is a flawed analysis. As has already been stated, funding for this project was obtained in 2008, before the recent economic slowdown. It's regrettable that local libraries should have to close, but it's not as a result of this superb new library in Birmingham.
This is so true... damn something good with faint praise and then use that as a smokescreen for an article attacking everything else that is loosely connected... and this in an article that quotes other "UK commentators" as damning the entire library system but going there reveals the whole truth...
It's the Grauniad that makes up the 'UK commentators" thus showing the totally unbiased nature of the article...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
evolutionary
Enthusiast
evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.evolutionary walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Google Nexus 10
As I'm going through Birmingham tomorrow, I'm going to drop in and take a look.
evolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #35
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionary View Post
As I'm going through Birmingham tomorrow, I'm going to drop in and take a look.
That's a long way from Edinburgh

I hope you like it.
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #36
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
From the BBC website, the new Library of Birmingham. This is a five minute walk from where I work, so I'll be visiting next week

I'd be interested in people's opinions on the external look of the place - it's had mixed reviews here. The recreated 19th Century room looks pretty cool to me (it's shown in the video at about 2:30 onwards for the impatient ones among you).
That is one BIG library. Kind of reminds me of the Stuttgart City Library

greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #37
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenasterisk View Post
That is one BIG library. Kind of reminds me of the Stuttgart City Library

That is nice. It's got the same light and airy look of the Birmingham one. I like that.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #38
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I wonder if you ever find the book you are looking for...but as with life, the seeking can be the most exciting part!
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
I wonder if you ever find the book you are looking for...
Hm... if they sort by the author's last name, and have an index indicating at what floor (and maybe even case, compartment and shelf) that author is located at that point in time, it shouldn't be too difficult

Then again, I haven't been in a library since... like... forever, because in the Netherlands they never have what I want to read.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Personally, I quite like it. It's certainly a bit different, and maybe an acquired taste, but compared to the old library (formless, grey concrete) it's much better. I seem to recall people having similar reservations about the Selfridges in Birmingham when that went up but that seems to be accepted, even loved, now.
But can either one of them melt cars?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #41
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Hm... if they sort by the author's last name, and have an index indicating at what floor (and maybe even case, compartment and shelf) that author is located at that point in time, it shouldn't be too difficult

Then again, I haven't been in a library since... like... forever, because in the Netherlands they never have what I want to read.
I suspect they have quite a good indexing system
Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
I suspect they have quite a good indexing system
Yeah, I hope so.

New Visitor: "Could you point me to where this book is, please?"
Librarian: *sweeps his arm around* "Everything is... out there..."
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #43
Grace Elliot
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yeah, I hope so.

New Visitor: "Could you point me to where this book is, please?"
Librarian: *sweeps his arm around* "Everything is... out there..."

Very existential!
"Knowledge is all around you."
"Seek and ye shall find."
"These aren't the books you're looking for." (Yoda)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #44
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But can either one of them melt cars?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675
Coincidentally I was there last week. It's near the London office of the company I work for and on the same road as a shop I wanted to visit. Fortunately it was overcast when I was there!

It's certainly a weird story
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #45
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
The new Library of Birmingham - opening next week - is believed to be Europe's largest public library.
By which criteria is this library considered to be the largest one in Europe? If by number of books, how many does it have?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote