Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #31
PERSISTENCE
PERSISTENCE began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Hi - thanks for a detailed and helpful overview.

I had an awful time converting PDFs to EPUB, and I found the following software to help. I am having some trouble with customizing 'rule sets' (see below) so if you try this method, I'd appreciate some feedback!

METHOD 1: Xilisoft PDF to EPUB converter
-this works well if you have a heavily image based book. it tends to take a snapshot of each page and it converts the PDF to a graphic-based EPUB.

Great for cookbooks, design manuals, and other heavily graphic based media.

METHOD 2: (my top recommendation) DNAML PDF to EPUB (or MOBI).
This is a great piece of software.
You can crop out headers and page numbers.
It applies OCR very effectively and uses rule sets for the fonts so it tends to convert VERY well - bold, italic etc are usually converted without any problems.

HOWEVER, I have trouble with the rule sets for fonts etc. If anyone is able to provide me with some further info /brief tutorial, I'd be extremely grateful!!

-PERSISTENCE
PERSISTENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are ideas in the MobileRead wiki on conversion and OCR. However, PDF is the worst format possible to try and convert.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #33
helixpteron
helixpteron began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've had fantastic results with a combination of Aiseesoft Pdf converter and calibre.

Aiseesoft does unfortunately not set the right title, author and cover. Therefor setting the autoimport folder of calibre as the output folder of Aiseesoft doesn't work. That would be fantastic. So now I simply highlight the new book from autoimport and merge the two books with add new format (command shift M on the mac). To have the cover image show up in ibooks I do another epub to epub conversion with tablet as output profile, so that I don't loose image quality.

I looked around for a good solution to do pdf to epub conversion and I'm happy with this for now. The output of wondershare converter, Adobe Pro to html and calibre or calibre itself was producing half cut and jaggered paragraphs, but Aiseesoft never did this once - so I stopped looking.

Cheers, Rob.

Last edited by helixpteron; 01-07-2017 at 05:00 AM. Reason: better description of import / reconversion process
helixpteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #34
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
Smile Excellent Tutorial Here - Trying to Save for Future Use - Not Sure this will work .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan View Post
Pdf is one of the most common format around but not very useful or user-friendly for ebook readers. For better reading experience on our reading devices, at some point, we need to convert pdf to another more conventional formats such as epub or mobi.

The main issues with pdf to epub/mobi conversions:
1. Page numbers
2. Ruptured or half-cut paragraphs
3. Stylistic issues (bold, italic)
4. Font-declarations

I have been dealing with pdf conversions for quite sometime, and tried several commercial and free converters and other workarounds, I will to try to share my experience with you, while doing so, I will go from easiest method to more complicated ones to implement.

It will be a long list of methods, I will add more in the future. But remember, every pdf creator has its own way of coding the text, so every pdf files will be slightly different than the other.

If you have better methods or more convenient ways, please share with us, so we can come up one, all in one thread.

1. Using Mobipocket Creator and Calibre
This method will remove page numbers and join ruptured paragraphs. We will use Mobipocket to remove page numbers and join half-cut paragraphs and Calibre to convert html file to epub/mobi or other formats

1. Install mobipocket creator and run it.

2. On the home screen, "Under Import From Existing File", click "Import Adobe PDF".

3. Choose file from a directory, define publication folder, language and encoding.

4. Click Import
If your pdf has legitimate repeating pattern, such as page number, it will be removed and half-cut paragraphs on different pages will be joined. By legitimate, we mean: numbers appear on the same spot throughout the book as you expect in a printed book.

5. You can go ahead and use Mobipocket creator to create prc file and convert this file to other formats via calibre which I don't recommend. But if you want so, rest is pretty straight forward. One thing you need to know, you can study html file and define tagname, attribute and value to make multilevel TOC, just like you do in calibre.

6. Go to your publication folder, default publication folder is under My documents/My Publications. You will find your book in a separate folder under publication folder. You will see different formats of your book in this folder.

7. Open html file with an html editor. You can use free editors, notepad or wordpad to correct minor mistakes or clean unnecessary sections. Study title and subtitle patterns. For examples titles can be wrapped in H1 tags and subtitles in h2, h3, with proper attributes and values which can be used to make multilevel table of contens (TOC).

8. Once you fixed html file, you can drag and drop it on Calibre, in which you can define styles, TOC etc.

Edit:
In some cases, cropping pdf before dropping it into Mobipocket creator yields better results with Mobipocket creator. There is a simple and free software called Briss to crop pdf files. Portable version is also available.
1. Run Briss
2. Load the file
3. Cancel the warning, if you don't know what to do.
4. On the cropping screen, all the odd pages will be superimposed into a singe look, so do the even pages, and blue rectangle with small dark squares at the corners will appear on each pages. Drag these squares to set the margins of the cropping for better result. You can preview it by clicking action on the menu bar >> Preview
5. Once you set the margins, click action >> Crop PDF
Briss is not stable enough, sometimes gives error and may not let you crop but you can always preview it. So saving previewed pdf will also work.

2. Using Adobe PDF Pro and Calibre
Adobe pdf pro to crop page numbers, join ruptured paragraphs and produce html file, Calibre to create different formats.

1. Open your pdf with Adobe PDF Pro, and choose Document > Crop pages. Using different options available, crop page numbers out.

2. Save you document as html file. This process will join half-cut paragraphs. Careful, when you crop a pdf page, the data is still there but pdf viewer does not display it. If you drop your cropped pdf into Calibre, Calibre will recognize cropped data so even after conversion, you will see page numbers still there.

3. Open html file with an html editor, notepad or wordpad, fix anything you want and remove unnecessary sections. Study html for better conversion via Calibre.

4. Drop html into Calibre. Fill in information and convert it. You can always create multiple level TOC in Calibre by using tags, attributes and values.

Edit: With new Adobe Acrobat Pro, things are little different. Here I am going to explain how to crop out headers and footers permanently.

1. Open your pdf with Adobe Acrobat Pro.

2. Click Tools >> Pages >> Crop
Set margins and crop document. You can use different page range, odd and event page settings.

3. Once you cropped your file Click Tools >> Protection >> Remove hidden information.

4. You will see Status: Finding hidden information, then Results . Once all the hidden information found, you can check/uncheck each group of information.

5. Click Remove.

6. Save your document. You have removed page numbers and headers and other information that you cropped out, permanently.

Note: Dropping cropped pdf into Calibre directly may not yield good results. Especially if you have unicode characters on your pdf. Better option, first convert it html first.

Once you have cropped pdf without hidden information, you can either use Adobe Acrobat Pro or Calibre for pdf to html conversion. So I am going to explain following steps for both Adobe Acrobat Pro and Calibre.

If you are going to use Adobe Acrobat Pro:
7. Now, lets save our pdf as html before converting it into mobi or epub document. Click File >> Save As >> More Options >> Html Web Page

If you cant save your file as html, make sure you unchecked "Run OCR if needed". For that, click "Settings" on "Save As" screen.

Keep in mind, sometimes Adobe Pdf Pro fails to apply bold or italic styling to the text and you will have plain text without bold or italic. In that case either use Mobipocket creator or Calibre's built in pdf to html conversion.

You can do some manual fix before conversion if you like.

8. Drag and drop html file into Calibre, and set TOC and other stuff and convert.

If you are going to use Calibre:
7. Drop your pdf file into Calibre.

8. Convert you pdf into htmlz.

Actually, Htmlz is nothing to do with html. It is a special zip file, just like epub which has all the necessary files inside to produce an ebook.

You can use Calibre's conversion settings to remove fonts, font size, margin etc.

9. Once conversion is complete, open htmlz file with a zip software, you will see a file called index.html along with css and opf files. You can edit index file and repackage.

10. During final conversion, use htmlz as your source.

3. Using any pdf to htm converter and Textpipe Pro
Textpipe pro is a pattern based text processing tool and doesn't matter how lame the conversion is, you can bring your text to a desired look and style and format. For pdf to html, sticking to what you know is the easiest and the best way and I usually use mobipocket creator for conversion, and Textpipe for reformatting/styling and mobipocket/calibre for producing ebooks.

If you want complete control over your ebook's style, or picky about the quality, or hate reading poorly formatted text, or always enjoy ebooks with TOC, or want to clean up messy html produced by Word processors like Ms Word (watch a screencast), or always insist on clean html format before conversion, Textpipe is the right tool for you.

Textpipe pro can do pattern based search and replace along with other jobs, and the options with it is endless but here is a brief list of things that you can do with Text pipe in terms of ebook reformating/styling.

1. You can add/remove all html tags/classes/attributes all at once with or without their text. For example: if you have a converted html text like <p style="..."> or <p class="..." style="...">, find and replace will never work for you and you have to clean up manually. But with Textpipe, it will only take seconds. Also you can remove desired class with its text completely, such as <p class="myclass"> myText </p>.
2. You can remove specific html tags/classes/attributes while keeping others. For example, you may want to remove all attributes except for italic and bold.
3. You can remove remove page numbers or titles all at once.
4. You can convert certain tags into another tags ie. h2 >> p
5. Change case after restricting the text, like changing case of text that lies in certain tag or certain class.
6. Since some ebook readers do not support small caps, you can mimic small caps as S<small>MALL</small>. First, you can restrict your text based on pattern, like being between certain tag or class. Then you can add <small> to not the first but remaining letters of the words. Sounds complicated but it is really very easy with subfilters and takes seconds.
7. Joining ruptured paragraphs/sentences
8. Remove extra spaces and tabs
9. Shifting and swapping text
10. Splitting and joining multiple htmls
11. Changing text encoding system (ansi, unicode, utf-8)
12. Adding/removing italics or bolds.

Learning curve may look a bit steep but it is not. Just take a look and play around. I am planning on doing an extended tutorial on it later.
Al Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Adams View Post
Mobipocket Creator?

Brother, I sincerely hope you are time-travelling.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #36
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Adams View Post
Excellent Tutorial Here - Trying to Save for Future Use - Not Sure this will work.

The post from sinan that you quoted in your post is the first post from this thread

Making sure things don't get lost is what the moderators and admins get paid to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Mobipocket Creator?

Brother, I sincerely hope you are time-travelling.

Hitch
The quoted post is from December 2011 - so yes he is in a way

FWIW - I use Mobicreator on vanilla PDF's, it's simple, fast, and most importantly for me at least consistent, and one isn't tempted to waste time and effort tinkering with conversion knobs, dials, and levers - 'cos there aren't any

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The post from sinan that you quoted in your post is the first post from this thread

Making sure things don't get lost is what the moderators and admins get paid to do

The quoted post is from December 2011 - so yes he is in a way
I guess if you're still using XP, it could work. Although, I disagree that it's a viable PDF-->XXX conversion method. I suspect that most of us think that we've made some forward progress in the last 6 years.

Quote:
FWIW - I use Mobicreator on vanilla PDF's, it's simple, fast, and most importantly for me at least consistent, and one isn't tempted to waste time and effort tinkering with conversion knobs, dials, and levers - 'cos there aren't any

BR

Or CSS. Vanilla's the word. Not to mention, doesn't it still have that bug about not working with any version of IE past...hell, what was it? IE 7?

Are those soft-serve prc's for your personal consumption, or commercial use? What do you do when you're done? Just rename them with the mobi extension?

Hitch
Old 07-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #38
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Believe it or not, from time to time I use Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition to convert from pdf to html, after cropping headers and footers with Briss. Mobipocket Creator PE works under Windows 7.

Of course you need a lot of work to turn the html output into something usable as input to Sigil.

I once also converted a pdf that contained the tables of available motor vehicles in my country (with make, model, version, etc.) and used the xml output format. After some extensive regex I was able to extract all the information for use in a repair budget app I was making for a friend who works for an insurance company...
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Believe it or not, from time to time I use Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition to convert from pdf to html, after cropping headers and footers with Briss. Mobipocket Creator PE works under Windows 7.

Of course you need a lot of work to turn the html output into something usable as input to Sigil.

I once also converted a pdf that contained the tables of available motor vehicles in my country (with make, model, version, etc.) and used the xml output format. After some extensive regex I was able to extract all the information for use in a repair budget app I was making for a friend who works for an insurance company...
Yabbut, Pablo, that's because you can use extensive Regex, etc., and because you KNOW how to turn the HTML output into something usable. Ditto Red. Hell, I started out with MBPC, and I love it fondly to this day.

The other folks on this thread--not so much. I just think that telling them this will make MORE work for them, not less.

But, hey. I'll stay out of it. All you boyzz know I loves yaz.

Hitch
Old 07-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Vanilla's the word. Not to mention, doesn't it still have that bug about not working with any version of IE past...hell, what was it? IE 7?

Are those soft-serve prc's for your personal consumption, or commercial use? What do you do when you're done? Just rename them with the mobi extension?
I've never run into the IE version issue, it's working on Win 10 1607 with IE11. But I only use its PDF Import and PRC (HTML) Output features.

I calibre convert what I get from MobiCreator to RTF (again for consistency reasons), in Word I standardise styling, remove embellishments etc, and save the DOCX (by then it's been skimmed, pasteurised and de-vanilla-ed). I use the Sigil DOCX Import Plugin to create the ePUB, on most documents all I have to do is to tweak the metadata.

I don't convert complex PDFs, its not worth the effort. If I run up against a 'Vanilla' image PDF (rarely), I shove it into Abbyy FR 12, save a DOCX and edit that.

As the song says "The times they are a-changin'". By year's end the IOS/Android app I've mentioned elsewhere will replace me. In March 2012 I volunteered to run a 6 month proof of concept trial, by December it'll be closer to 6 years!!

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-06-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
<snippage>

I don't convert complex PDFs, its not worth the effort. If I run up against a 'Vanilla' image PDF (rarely), I shove it into Abbyy FR 12, save a DOCX and edit that.

<snippage>

BR
You do realize that running a PDF through Abbyy FR is how commercial companies "convert" PDFs, right?

Hitch
Old 07-31-2017, 06:53 PM   #42
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
You do realize that running a PDF through Abbyy FR is how commercial companies "convert" PDFs, right?
Hope your not suggesting they have IPR on using Abby FR in the manner described

A well known painter is said to have tried to claim IPR on using an iPhone to create works of art. I think the Torygraph said it, so it might have been trumped up news - another joke(r) wasted

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Hope your not suggesting they have IPR on using Abby FR in the manner described

A well known painter is said to have tried to claim IPR on using an iPhone to create works of art. I think the Torygraph said it, so it might have been trumped up news - another joke(r) wasted

BR
Not at all. I was simply amused by your comment about how you don't convert PDFs. I was pointing out that indeed--you do. :-)

Hitch
Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 AM   #44
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Not at all. I was simply amused by your comment about how you don't convert PDFs. I was pointing out that indeed--you do. :-)
But only if its a 'vanilla image', if its a 'knickerbocker-glory image' I give it a miss.

BR

Tags
pdf, pdf conversion, pdf to epub, pdf to mobi