Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
LED
LED began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
ePUB and PDF issues

First time poster here, so please bear with me if this is an obvious fix.

I recently bought a secondhand Kobo off a friend who gave up on it. I was able to read a few free books, then decided to purchase one (from Kobobooks directly). I could never open that book (Killing Pablo - the Pablo Escobar bio) on the Kobo hardware due to license blocking - saying I didn't have rights to it and had to activate the hardware.

I followed various suggestions previously posted on this issue, metadata fixes, factory resets, reactivating using ADE, creating a new adobe account and repeating all the above. Nothing worked, though I could read it on my PC and iPhone all along. Kobo's customer support offered me a refund because they couldn't find a way to fix the problem.

I've had this same problem with other books that don't have associated DRM but are in the ePUB format. I've tried converting them to PDF as a work around, in Calibre, but end up with only the first 15-30 pages of text, and the remainder are blank (i.e. 100s of blank pages after the first 15-30). When viewed in Calibre, there is no problem. No images at that location or anything like that.

My specific questions are:
1) If the factory reset, removal of 's from metadata and reactivation doesn't work, and I still get blocked from reading a book I paid for, do I have any other options? Is the secondhand nature of the hardware possibly causing a problem?
2) Is this PDF issue common/resolvable?

I'm not sure whats worse. Not being able to read a book I purchased, or being able to read only the first two dozen pages before it fails.
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
laverdm
laverdm began at the beginning.

Hi LED.
i can't offer a solution to your problem but just wanted to say that I also bought a book (epub file) which I can't get to see on the Kobo. I tried moving it to the reader with ADE and I also tried to put it on an SD card. No success. I just tried copying a pdf file over to the SD card and this one I can see on the reader. It's as if it does not recognize epub files. I am dealing with Kobo customer service and so far they have not been of much help,telling me to do what I have already done. I must say however that they quickly replied to my emails.
Thanks and good luck!
ML
laverdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
How are you getting the book on the device? From the Kobo app or sideloading via ADE or Calibre (or other?)?

If the device is secondhand, was it deauthorised from the previous users Adobe ID? Connect the device to the computer, open ADE and hit Ctrl-Shift-E. Then disconnect it and when you plug it back in and start ADE, ADE should ask if you want to authorise it.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
How are you getting the book on the device? From the Kobo app or sideloading via ADE or Calibre (or other?)?

If the device is secondhand, was it deauthorised from the previous users Adobe ID? Connect the device to the computer, open ADE and hit Ctrl-Shift-E. Then disconnect it and when you plug it back in and start ADE, ADE should ask if you want to authorise it.
digiSara,

Thank you for the reply.

For this particular book, I tried the Desktop Kobo App, ADE and Calibre. No dice on all accounts.

I did reauthorize the device after a factory reset using my adobe ID. Still not accepting anything that is DRM protected, even if its for me...?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are the date and time set correctly?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are the date and time set correctly?
Yup. Which is probably the most time consuming part of the factory reset process...?!

Tags
epub, kobo, pdf