Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Which is the best way to add SVG (vector graphics) to PDF files ?

So I have my .docx file set up just the way I want. I also drew all my graphics (including the cover) with Inkscape, by hand. I'm very pleased with them but here's the thing:

How do I add them to the PDF ?

What I've been doing is using Inkscape to edit a certain part of a PDF (Inkscape lets you choose which page to open, it doesn't open the whole thing, meaning there's no "multipage" support). But if I simply save it as PDF from within Inkscape it outputs an onion of layers, which I don't want, and by converting it with GSview it spits out a single-layer PDF.

So I add the graphic, position it just right, save the entire page as a PostScript file, open it in GSview, convert it to PDF, replace the page with Adobe Acrobat. As you can imagine this is incredibly tedious for a 250 page instructional book where there are tons of graphics on pretty much all of the pages. Isn't there a better way ?

I tried using Scribus. The imported PDF isn't recognized properly and there's garbage on every page. Even with the new 1.4.0 RC3. Or maybe I don't know what compatibility features to tell Acrobat X to use (from within Word 2010). Or maybe Scribus isn't meant for editing PDFs, eh ?

Last edited by DSpider; 04-12-2011 at 04:12 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote