Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Well, for the DRM'ed books it's to prevent you from copying large amounts of text and using it for ill purposes. Maybe it is based on agreements that they have with the publishers for copyrighted material?Amazon implements a limit as well for the Kindle, but it is a percentage rather than character limit that all highlights must total less than.

For non-DRM'ed text 200 is just too small, but 2000 was good enough and never a problem for me.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #32
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Yes, but no answers...
I believe this limitation to be a protection against 'non-fair use' export via highlight, but your guess is as good as mine...
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #33
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe the answer was in the first two sentences. They don't want you to be able to basically copy and paste an entire book. On Amazon the percentage limit varies by book and is not a set limit so it has to be based on some publisher agreement.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #34
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Sorry Bookworm_Girl, I wrote without seeing your post.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
The highlight length is hard coded, but easy to fix in a modified Reader app. I will include "unlimited highlight length" in the next version of my modified Reader.

For those who don't want to wait or don't want to use my modified reader (and know their ways around apktool and smali): Commenting out the 8 lines of code after both ".line 2071" and ".line 3033" in BookReadingActivity.smali (v1.0.04.12210) does the trick.

Annotation created with stock Reader: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2086827/annotafter.png
Annotation created with Reader with no annotation length limit: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2086827/annotbefore.png

Cheers!
Morkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #36
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
The highlight length is hard coded, but easy to fix in a modified Reader app. I will include "unlimited highlight length" in the next version of my modified Reader.
Cool work yet again Morkl!

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #37
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
The highlight length is hard coded, but easy to fix in a modified !
Not to be holier than the pope,
but IMHO this isn't a matter to be discussed in the public while it interfers with DRM.
And might lead to some reactions from Sony, the one way or the other....

If you are just changing the limit for DRM-free content, then that will be fine.

Just my 2 cents
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #38
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Not to be holier than the pope,
but IMHO this isn't a matter to be discussed in the public while it interfers with DRM.
And might lead to some reactions from Sony, the one way or the other....

If you are just changing the limit for DRM-free content, then that will be fine.

Just my 2 cents
A valid point indeed. I guess limiting the possibility to export text from DRM'ed works is fair and I don't intend to interfere with it. I have opinions on DRM, but I'd rather recommend stripping the DRM from the books than have the Reader bypass it.

However, I had missed the posts about the 100 character limit for DRM'ed books and I can't image this modification should affect that limit in any way, as all it does is bypass a hard coded 200 character truncation (the 100 character truncation is probably done earlier). I don't have any DRM'ed books though, so I can't test it myself.

Last edited by Morkl; 02-08-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Morkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #39
Le_Tigre
Le_Tigre began at the beginning.

I'd realy love to see the 200char limit removed from non-DRMed books. Actually that is one of the main reasons, why I stopped using the PRS-T1 for accademic work.

First of all my annotations dissapear from time to time. And the truncated exports take a whole lot of time to complete!

So thumps up Morkl for killing the char limit!
As I'm happy with the software on the reader so far I'd realy love to have a version that realy only removes the hardcoded char limit on the device. If anyone ever hears about that let me know.

As I coul not find a pdf reader that would integrate the comments into the pdfs AND work well on the PRS-T1 I unrooted mine. (ezPDF just does not make sense on the device). But if there is anyone with input I am def. willing to try it again!

____
Why the hack would someone implement a 200char limit into his software anyway? As you can unstripp the book files and merge the contained html-like files - which will be much easier then "ripping content" with a annotatate and export try!
Le_Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
sjvs
Enthusiast
sjvs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I wrote a notes exporter plugin available now: https://www.mobileread.comforums/show....php?p=2031623. For now, it only works for handwritten in PDF books, I'm working on text highlights in ePub books. Unfortunately, handwritten notes in ePub books are really difficult to process.
sjvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #41
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I remove DRM from everything to get around highlighting-exporting restrictions. The only problem is SONY's software - if you don't modify the metadata, it will always think the book is DRM-locked (because you can't delete the original copy, if bought on SONY's store). So now I have all the incentives NOT to buy on SONY's own store. So SONY's great idea of not allowing highlights and/or book deleting means I now buy everything on non-SONY stores... pure genius, indeed, on SONY's part.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:

For those who don't want to wait or don't want to use my modified reader (and know their ways around apktool and smali): Commenting out the 8 lines of code after both ".line 2071" and ".line 3033" in BookReadingActivity.smali (v1.0.04.12210) does the trick.

Annotation created with stock Reader: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2086827/annotafter.png
Annotation created with Reader with no annotation length limit: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2086827/annotbefore.png

Cheers!

Hi. I use Sony PRS-T2 and I'd like to implement that trick in my device: could you explain me please in what file i have to comment those lines? At moment i've learnt how to export my Highlights from the Reader using SQlite Manager (I don't use Windows), but i can export only max 100 letters for every highlighted sentences and it's such a shame :-(
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #43
michailbachtin
Enthusiast
michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PSR-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
No, not really. The best method is to highlight in small chunks. In other words, if you want to highlight a whole paragraph, then do it in small consecutive blocks. The old software allowed you to highlight up to 2000 characters on non-DRM'ed books, but the new software has a 200 character limit. It is a meager 100 characters for books with DRM!
Hallo,

Do you, or does anyone, know how to reinstall that old software with a 2000 (two thousand) character limit on the Sony T-1? I'm sick of the 200 character limit.
michailbachtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #44
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Unfortunately the old desktop software does not work with the T1 and T2 readers. It only works with older models. It might still be available to download from the support pages on the Sony website for one of the older models like the PRS-650. It was for awhile, but I have not checked lately.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #45
michailbachtin
Enthusiast
michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PSR-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Annotations is one reason why I was hesitant to switch to calibre. However, I decided the other benefits out-weighed it. Here is what I plan to do. I am going to manage my library with calibre. The Sony software has a feature that allows you to transfer books from the T1 to Reader for Mac/PC. You select the book and then click on the button called "Copy to My Library". I just tried it, and my notes were copied along with the book. So at least I can still export notes through the Sony software as needed.

You may not be aware that the Sony software has a limitation on the number of characters per highlight that can be exported to the RTF file. It is best to highlight in small consecutive segments. The maximum is 100 characters per each highlight in a DRM'ed book. It is ~200 characters for a non-DRM'ed book. The limit on the non-DRM'ed book is really small. In the old Sony software it was 2000 characters!
You state that in the old Sony Software the limit was 2000 characters and not the measly 200. Which "old" Sony software are you talking about? I would love to use that.

These ereaders are only as good as the functions they perform. And Sony's limit of 200 characters for non-DRM-content is one good reason to give up on Sony. I wonder sometimes who they think they are.

Anyway: the Pocketbook Touch and Touch 2 (or Touch Lux) is the better product, the latter with a backlit screen and simple highlighting features. The data is stored in an HTML file on the reader. One file for each book or document. It's that simple.
michailbachtin is offline   Reply With Quote