Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
Question PW -> KO2 how to keep myclippings.txt?

Hi there Kindle-friends,

my 4 year old Paperwhite will get a KO2 as sibling which will arrive tomorrow

Now I'm wondering what's the best way to migrate my highlights.

I have many Amazon-purchased, as well as sideloaded books. Almost all of them sent to my Kindle email-address, and not copied through Calibre.

Thus, the sideloaded books should be downloaded automatically WITH highlights, but the highlights will NOT be in the myclippings.txt file.

I would like them to be in the myclippings file though, because I use Clippings.io to sync my highlights into Evernote. [edit: this works by uploading the myclippings.txt file to the website]

Any ideas how I can migrate my highlights onto my new KO2?

Thank you folks!

Last edited by JFHey; 05-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

FYI:

I can confirm following

1. All highlights & notes from personal documents as well as Amazon books are automatically downloaded

1.1 This does not apply to personal documents that have been copied onto the device manually / through Calibre; but only to the ones that have been sent to your Kindle email address

2. It is possible to manually copy/paste all old Clippings into the "My Clippings" file on the new device. Just make sure to paste them in the beginning of the file, before the new clippings.

I did not have to copy anything manually from the documents folder (except the text in the My Clippings file).
Advert
Old 05-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is not clear to me what the point is of inserting old Clippings into new Clippings. This is just a log file, it does not contain the actual book annotations. There are better ways to back it up. And if Clippings gets too large, it can slow things down.

I would think clippings.io is smart enough to merge new annotations with existing ones in your Evernote notebook (e.g. same as if you were reading the same book on more than one Kindle).

Also if you are not aware of it, you can Export notes from Personal Documents with the Kindle app on Fire, iOS, or Android. It can go as an email attachment (e.g. email it to your Evernote account). And you can copy/paste to the Evernote app.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
JFHey
Enthusiast

The purpose is just to have it all together.
And I don't trust clippings.io to really smartly update the old notes - didn't try it but prefer the safe way.

Has there been evidence that a too large my clippings file can slow the device down? How large could be too large? Would it slow the device down in normal use, or only while making highlights?

Thanks for the tip with sharing notes in iOS/Fire/Android, I wasnt aware of that :-)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHey View Post
The purpose is just to have it all together.
And I don't trust clippings.io to really smartly update the old notes - didn't try it but prefer the safe way.

Has there been evidence that a too large my clippings file can slow the device down? How large could be too large? Would it slow the device down in normal use, or only while making highlights?

Thanks for the tip with sharing notes in iOS/Fire/Android, I wasnt aware of that :-)
Slower when making highlights. At least i have noticed it in the past. It is possible they have improved it. I wish there was an option to disable the feature, I will never use it now that there are more convenient options.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Just a suggestion: since you're using clippings.io already, why not use it to consolidate your clippings? Just upload your current file and when you have finished the books on the new device, upload that clippings file too. As far as I remember, they should be fused into one entry per book automatically.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clippings, highlights, kindle