Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Haven't Been Able to Use Touchscreens

... Pretty much that.

I am looking for a new e-reader, so I can read away from the computer and read without worsening my arm injuries.

I have proprioceptive issues, and haven't been able to use any of the touchscreen devices I've tried. I can't avoid accidentally triggering unwanted gestures. I have sensory issues too, and flashing and zooming effects are quite painful. I have been able to use some touchpads, if and only if I've been able to disable certain gestures: tapping on some, pinch/zoom on all, etc.

I have an old Iriver Story HD, but I haven't been able to read certain pdfs on it [it opens them, but only shows blank pages] or read any djvus on it [it doesn't open them], and I have been frustrated with freezes and various bugs.

I am considering an Icarus Illumina e653, but can't get a clear answer about the accessibility options. Apparently it runs Android 4.2, and users are supposed to be able to disable magnification gestures in Android 4.2, but I'm not confident about that. In addition to pdf and djvu support, it is supposed to have a conventional file system, allowing me to copy files from my computer, instead of the app-specific file systems of some other devices.

I previously picked up an Ipega pg9023, a game controller for android and sometimes iOS or Windows devices. It requires bluetooth, so it wouldn't work with the Icarus Illumina, but it could work with some tablets, and could avoid the frustrations of trying to fight the touchscreen.

So two questions:

How do I find out which accessibility options are available in which Android devices?

Should I order an Icarus Illumina e653?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:40 AM   #2
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There is a touchscreen blocker app that can turn off the touchscreen while reading:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hblocker&hl=en

I haven't tried it myself.

I think some ebook reader apps let you use other controls like the volume up/down controls to turn pages. I just tested and Aldiko does this.

So any Android tablet of smart phone with Aldiko and the touch disabler might work for you.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that might work.

Thing is, for me flashing and zooming can hurt and can trigger headaches, so I want to be reasonably sure I can use a given device before I order it.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
MarjaE
Guru

I ended up ordering the Icarus Illumina e653. I wasn't able to turn off the zooming, but was able to use the buttons to navigate. Then it stopped working, and I've been wrangling with Icarus to get it repaired. I get an rma, and sent the e-reader to them, but they didn't accept the delivery, and I don't know what to do from here.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I ended up ordering the Icarus Illumina e653. I wasn't able to turn off the zooming, but was able to use the buttons to navigate. Then it stopped working, and I've been wrangling with Icarus to get it repaired. I get an rma, and sent the e-reader to them, but they didn't accept the delivery, and I don't know what to do from here.
Did you include the RMA number on the outside of the package as part of the address such as ATTN RMA: XXXXX. The number must be there for them to accept. This is generally true for all companies that require an RMA.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Did you include the RMA number on the outside of the package as part of the address such as ATTN RMA: XXXXX. The number must be there for them to accept. This is generally true for all companies that require an RMA.

Dale
No, they didn't say anything about that. They provided a mailing label, but of course the mail center did their own mailing label.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
No, they didn't say anything about that. They provided a mailing label, but of course the mail center did their own mailing label.
If they cannot readily identify the return they will reject it. You can resubmit. No way they will accept something they think is unsolicited.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dale is right. When you return anything, the RMA number must be clearly displayed on the outside of the package.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
It sounds like you possibly didn't use their provided mailing label either. Those labels usually have a bar code on them that also identifies the RMA, so if that was not used or covered up by some other shipping label, they'd have no way of knowing what the package was.

Always use their mailing label provided, as well as make sure the RMA number is written on the package as others have said.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It sounds like you possibly didn't use their provided mailing label either. Those labels usually have a bar code on them that also identifies the RMA, so if that was not used or covered up by some other shipping label, they'd have no way of knowing what the package was.

Always use their mailing label provided, as well as make sure the RMA number is written on the package as others have said.
The mail center does their own labelling and packaging, so they used their own label. That said, Icarus's label did not include the rma number or any barcode.

Last edited by MarjaE; 08-23-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
So why not ask Customer Support why the return shipment was not accepted, or ask if there are any special packaging / labelling requirements to be followed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
MarjaE
Guru

So what other options are available?

I need physical page-turn buttons. I want to disable pinch-zoom, and need to disable other animation, zooming, etc. I need the ability to read my pdfs and djvus - the old Iriver Story Hd can't read many pdfs or most djvus.

I think that basically leaves versions of the T62 and T68 for Android devices, and some low-power low-resolution non-Android devices which might support djvu.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
MarjaE
Guru

I have been using the Iriver Story HD again, although the device has been freezing, flipping pages the wrong way, skipping pages etc.

I am also struggling with worsening arm injuries, despite getting a lower table, smaller chair, propping my keyboard at an angle so I don't have to twist my good arm as much, etc.

Are e-readers really any ergonomically better than computers? I guess they can't be worse. Are some e-readers ergonomically better than others? Especially given that I can't handle touchscreens, or flashing/sheering/zooming effects.

P.S. I suspect that side buttons, like on old Kindles, and on the e653, might work better than the awkward bottom button, like on the Story Hd. I don't know which devices I can side-load my own books onto, load Adobe books onto, etc.

P.P.S. I would like the ability to read djvus but would be satisfied with the ability to reliably read pdfs and epubs, and good performance, and good ergonomics.

Last edited by MarjaE; 11-22-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I wonder if using a capacative stylus would help you use a device with a touch screen. That way you'd never have to put your fingers near the screen. A stylus can cost a couple of dollars.

I don't really understand your problem so maybe this isn't a solution but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Barryem,
Dollar tree sells stylus'.
Oh and I have some I got at Amazon at 10 for a dollar.
And my good one was 2.50 but it is also a pen, flashlight and red laser.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, icarus illumina, iriver story hd