Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Help with .0.5.3

This is the first time I've tried to install a new update to Calibre and I'm sure the solution is an easy one, but... On installation, it didn't retrieve my library, and when I try to import the library using "Add new books" it won't recognize the folder the library is in, though the folder is there with all its contents. It also won't allow me to drag and drop a new title. So how do I regain the library? Appreciate the help.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What OS are you using?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows Vista
Old 03-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I just installed over the previous release and it is running without any problems!

You have not got any firewall or Virus checker that needs to be told about the new version?

If you want to revert to default settings then you can find the calibre folder under your user profile (probably need to enable seeing hidden files to see it) which contains your customised calibre settings. Removing this should make Calibre work like a new install and prompt you for the library location. You can then point it at where your current library is located so it gets picked up again.

Just a thought - what release were you upgrading from? If it is a very old release then you may need to run the commands required to update the metadata to the latest format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Strether
Guru

Well, there probably isn't anyone patient enough to help as unsophisticated a computer user as I am, but just in case... Apparently, going from 5.1 to 5.3 version of Calibre, the new one installed only to be used by the Administrator. I've given myself permission to use it, but it doesn't seem to care. And this is why it isn't seeing the Calibre library folder, I suspect, because it isn't in the Administrator's Document file, but in the regular user's Document file. I should have left well enough alone, but I wanted to get one of the new features of 5.3.

Jim
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the calibre preferences dialog, you can change the location of the library. Try changing it to the old location and hopefully it will pick up your old books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Strether
Guru

Kovid, where's the Calibre preferences dialog?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

click the hammer button
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Strether
Guru

Well, I got it to recognize the location of the library, and it loaded up all the books. But it will not accept any new books. Won't let me drag and drop and the only locations it will allow me to draw from are on the Administrator's side of the computer -- not useful as I don't do any business on that side. Sorry to bother you with it, because I'm sure it's not your program's fault, but my understanding of the computer.

I did try uninstalling it and installing it again, but the same problems persist.

Jim
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you need to log on as administrator and change the permissions on the library folder and all sub folders in it so that your normal user acoount has full access to it.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Strether
Guru

Thanks, Kovid. Merely a matter of right-clicking on the right icon. I swear I've given permission to every part of that program. Anyhow, it all works right now.

Jim