Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What sci fi sequel should I read next?
2010: Odyssey Two 7 20.00%
Rama II 7 20.00%
The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2) 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
kelsoanim
kelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color and Motorola Xoom
Question What sci fi sequel should I read next

So I've started too many series recently and I can't decide which sequel to read next. I've been on a huge Arthur C. Clarke kick lately (looooved Childhood's End) and recently finished reading 2001 for the first time. I also recently read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and loved that as well.

The 3 books I'm considering to read next are 2010, The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2), or Rama II. If I read Rama II or 2010, I'll probably want to finish off the respective series after that so that will help pick the next 2 books to read. So which series would you finish off first?

- K
kelsoanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As I've read Rama I and didn't like it and I've read 2001 and 2010 and read Dirk, I voted for Dirk as that is the best of your choices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I didn't vote as I can really evaluate all of the options.

That said, I can say that there is no hurry to read 2010. Its a good read, but it is not really a sequel to 2001. It is, instead, an independent story (two stories really) set in the same universe. It integrates somewhat better with the movie version of 2001 than with the book version.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I absolutely love the Space Odyssey books. Granted, they can be a bit heavy handed at times (especially later in the series) but they still stand out as one of my favorite sci-fi series.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
dlcooper
dlcooper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
2010: Odyssey Two is based on the move 2001 Space Odyssey and not the first book. It was a strange case where they made the movie while the first book was being written. They changed a few things in the movie to make things clearer for the audience. If you're going to read 2010, make sure you watch 2001 Space Odyssey first.
dlcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
staul62
staul62 began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
All good reads but in my opinion, Dirk Gently captures the flavour of the original best (though without being just a rehash)
staul62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
kelsoanim
kelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color and Motorola Xoom
Thanks for the advice guys, Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul it is. Sounds like I'll have to re-watch 2001 the movie soon to prep for 2010.
kelsoanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I'm not sure you really need to rewatch the film of 2001 - if you've seen it you'll probably work out that some apparent continuity errors (change of planet around which TMA2 is located, etc) are due to the way Stanley Kubrick made the film.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
I voted 2010, just because I haven't read it. If you are a Clarke fan (as you seem to be), maybe go with one of the two choices that he wrote. The Dirk option seems to be if you want a laugh. You probably know more what you are in a mood for than we do. :-)
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Dirk Gently series does not go downhill like the other 2.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I went with Rama. It's kinda a trick question since both Rama and Space Odyssey are by Arthur C. Clarke. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote