Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #31
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
The price-match guarantee is always honoured, in my experience, and takes maybe a minute to claim. Here's the link for the Canadian store:

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/p/pricematch-request-form
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Ok here is my thinking and I may be way off base, I do wind up in center left field every now and again. If I need to know if anything related to Kobo works, I would want to be where the Kobo users are. That appears to be here. If I need kindle, I will go there. Samsung I would go to android. For pampered chef stoneware, I wound up at you tube.
None of which fit in general or what to buy.
Here is a thread on B&N.
Barnes & Noble Redesigned Their Website: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289665

Now here's some Amazon threads that pertain to nothing but Kindles.
Sick of Amazon Kindle books without Page Numbers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272392
Kindle in Motion ebook format: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=277375
Second Amazon Account: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289269

B&N's website design is not a general topic. Amazon's page numbers are so very Kindle sepecific as no other device/reading software has anything to do with the page number files. Kindle in Motion also has nothing to do with anything outside of Amazon (Amazon tablets or reading apps). A thread about Amazon accounts is definitely 100% Amazon.

So how is this Kobo thread any less general? It's not.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-13-2017 at 04:22 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #33
bhyde
bhyde is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
To close out this thread...

1. The good news is that the Kobo price match works dependably for many people.

2. The bad news is that it did not work for me. I very much doubt the fault is on my side. Further it's very disappointing how none (none!) of my questions about why the it was rejected were answered. At no point did I get the slightest impression that the evidence I provided was engaged with in least. A very disappointing experience.

I can only hope for better luck next time.
bhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyde View Post
To close out this thread...

1. The good news is that the Kobo price match works dependably for many people.

2. The bad news is that it did not work for me. I very much doubt the fault is on my side. Further it's very disappointing how none (none!) of my questions about why the it was rejected were answered. At no point did I get the slightest impression that the evidence I provided was engaged with in least. A very disappointing experience.

I can only hope for better luck next time.
Well now, there could be any number of reasons.
1. You sent the wrong link. (Possible but unlikely)
2. You sent the right link but by the time someone else clicked it, the price had gone back up)
3. Like they said they don't price match promotions.

I just hope you weren't out much extra money.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #35
bhyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Well now, there could be any number of reasons.
1. You sent the wrong link. (Possible but unlikely)
2. You sent the right link but by the time someone else clicked it, the price had gone back up)
3. Like they said they don't price match promotions.
Personally I think they screwed up, period.
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #36
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Personally I think they screwed up, period.
That is also possible.
So can I ask the price difference?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #37
bhyde

Well, in a final twist in the story. I sent a last reply saying that they could close the issue and that I would get on with my life. I added a sentence (or two) making it clear I was disappointed.

I get yet another note restating that I was wrong but failing to engage with any of the evidence I provided to the contrary.

Then two hour later I got a note from a supervisor, an apology, and the refund.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Well, in a final twist in the story. I sent a last reply saying that they could close the issue and that I would get on with my life. I added a sentence (or two) making it clear I was disappointed.

I get yet another note restating that I was wrong but failing to engage with any of the evidence I provided to the contrary.

Then two hour later I got a note from a supervisor, an apology, and the refund.
Glad you got your refund.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:35 AM   #39
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
I’m having a similar problem. I bought this book from Kobo for £9.56, then submitted a Price Match for the same book on Google Play, where it’s listed for the considerably cheaper price of £4.60. They replied and said Price Match wasn’t applicable because "The book is not priced in your currency or is from a retailer not located in your country."

The book certainly seems to be priced in my currency, as it’s displayed in pounds and I can go right through to the point of purchasing it, so are they saying they don’t price match Google Play books?

I half wonder if they’re getting confused because the Helpdesk people aren’t in the UK, and therefore view the site in a different currency.

At any rate, I spoke to someone on chat who said to resubmit it and it should work this time, so we'll see. Frankly I’m not convinced. It’s pretty disappointing, because I’ve never had any hassle when price matching Kindle books, just this one. I had a lot of good will towards Kobo but it’s swiftly evaporating!

Last edited by Katy Did; 10-20-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #40
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Update: well fair play to Kobo, they’ve given me a refund less than 24 hours after I contacted them, so I’m happy with that (and glad I didn’t have to jump through the hoops that the OP did! Just one hoop, in fact). Hopefully they iron out these quirks with Google Book price matching - it’s a major eBook store, after all, so it should really be a straightforward process.

I shall put my toys back in the pram and give them the benefit of the doubt, this time...
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #41
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Most of my price comparisons have been with books on sale at Amazon, and I don't think I've ever had one rejected,
I'm a bit confused. It seems like all Amazon ebooks have ASINs rather than ISBNs. Would a price match be rejected for these or not?
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #42
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
I'm a bit confused. It seems like all Amazon ebooks have ASINs rather than ISBNs. Would a price match be rejected for these or not?
Haven't been refused yet when requesting a Price Match, and I've only ever provided a link to a book on Amazon. Never even knew that they had ASINs instead of ISBNs.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #43
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
At least 80% of my roughly 100 price matches have been with Amazon, and only two of them were ever originally rejected, and even those two ultimately got price matched. It does not seem to matter that these ebooks from Amazon only display ASINs.

I don't know how Kobo does their price match validation, but I suspect that when the price match is submitted, their system goes out to the URL and saves a copy of the web page, and when someone in their price match department examines the request, if it displays the same cover, author and title, and is for the same country, they award the price match.

I personally think that this Kobo price-matching thread belongs in the Deals, Freebies and Resources forum, since it's all about a way to save money (10% off the other retailer's low price).

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 10-24-2017 at 12:26 AM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #44
CmplxAdSys
Enthusiast
CmplxAdSys began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Tested the limits of price match today. Purchased a book whose list price at Kobo is higher than at Google Books, but used a Kobo promo code that lowered it to below the Google Book price. Curious to see if it's accepted. Technically it should be, but I can also see it causing problems. I read the fine print of Kobo's price match policy and didn't see anything about discount codes affecting the outcome. So we'll see.
CmplxAdSys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #45
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
My last price match request was for two books, one I had used a discount code on, one I had not.

They failed to price match the discounted book. I'm not upset, although there's nothing in the fine print, because I did get the book for less than the other vendor's price.

I nearly always use Google Books for my price matching, although I go through books.google.com rather than the Google Play store. Perhaps that's the difference between what I've seen and what Katy Did experienced.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote