Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Battery-based problem with Glo

Hi guys, my Kobo Glo (not HD) has had books marked as finished prematurely. I solved this problem by charging my Glo's battery soon as it reached 93%.

Books also didn't sideload properly(my Kobo didn't detect new books at all) when battery was down to the 80's.

The screen too would freeze and had to be rebooted.

All of the above problems have nearly been eradicated by charging the battery as often as twice a day.

I've been advised to post here. Hope someone has an idea.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is that if you are not using firmware 3.19.5671, to flash to that version. If you are, do a factory reset and then ref lash 3.19.5671.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you explain more how to get this firmware? Even if there's no response here, I'll do some google search and clarify this term. Thanks JSWolf!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices check for updated firmware whenever you sync. If it finds an update, it will be downloaded an installed. If you use the desktop application, it will do the same. If you don't want to do that, there is a thread in the Developers section of the forum with links to the firmware and instructions on installing it.

What actually happens? You say it freezes and has to be rebooted. Is this related to the battery level? Is the reading status changing when that is happening? If you don't recharge, does the battery level drop quickly?

These sorts of thing, missing books, lost reading status, can happen when the database on the device has become corrupted. You can test this with an SQLite database management tool, or calibre plus my utilities plugin. If this is the problem, then you will need to logout on the device. This will create a new database when you login and then reloads the books.

I think the thing to do is a factory reset. This will reset everything. You will lose any reading statuses you have and then need to reload your books. But, it will clean everything up and give you a known starting point.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My suggestion is that if you are not using firmware 3.19.5671, to flash to that version. If you are, do a factory reset and then ref lash 3.19.5671.
Okay, I've just updated to version 3.19.5761. Is that close enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo devices check for updated firmware whenever you sync. If it finds an update, it will be downloaded an installed. If you use the desktop application, it will do the same. If you don't want to do that, there is a thread in the Developers section of the forum with links to the firmware and instructions on installing it.

What actually happens? You say it freezes and has to be rebooted. Is this related to the battery level? Is the reading status changing when that is happening? If you don't recharge, does the battery level drop quickly?

These sorts of thing, missing books, lost reading status, can happen when the database on the device has become corrupted. You can test this with an SQLite database management tool, or calibre plus my utilities plugin. If this is the problem, then you will need to logout on the device. This will create a new database when you login and then reloads the books.

I think the thing to do is a factory reset. This will reset everything. You will lose any reading statuses you have and then need to reload your books. But, it will clean everything up and give you a known starting point.
Whenever the battery level drops below 90%, all these problems occur.

I will go through the steps and will report thence. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Luffy; 08-18-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Advert