Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Why are my ePubs "Block protected"?

Can anyone help me understand what's happening here, please?

My reader seems to have a habit where, if a paragraph won't fit entirely on the screen, it inserts a soft page break and pushes the para over to the next screen. It means the bottom third to half of the screen is often blank. I'd rather it simply went to the bottom and then broke to the next page, like a printed book does.

But where's this behaviour coming from? I can't find anything in the CSS code that does it - does such a thing even exist in CSS? - but my reader uses ADE to display books, so is it one of those hard-coded secret behaviours in ADE?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
But where's this behaviour coming from? I can't find anything in the CSS code that does it - does such a thing even exist in CSS? - but my reader uses ADE to display books, so is it one of those hard-coded secret behaviours in ADE?
The behavior is actually coming from ADE. By default ADE uses a widow & orphan of 2 so a paragraph has to conform that that or it drops to the top of the next page.

There is a very simple way around it. Put the following into the body element in the CSS...

Code:
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
That will give you just what you want. I do it all the time.

In fact, here is one of the body elements I use...

Code:
body {
  font-family: "Charis SIL", serif;
  widows: 0;
  orphans: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  text-align: justify;
  font-size: 95%
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-05-2011 at 07:43 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Fantastic! Thanks, JSWolf.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Fantastic! Thanks, JSWolf.
Happy to help.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
JSWolf's explanation is good if you are seeing only 1-2 blank "lines" at the bottom of a screen. However, I believe what you are seeing is a different quirk of ADE, when a paragraph is very long, it just gets pushed to a new page, and in some cases you can even see a pagebreak in the middle of a long paragraph. This behaviour is not controlled by CSS, and it's probably just a limitation of ADE.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
JSWolf's explanation is good if you are seeing only 1-2 blank "lines" at the bottom of a screen. However, I believe what you are seeing is a different quirk of ADE, when a paragraph is very long, it just gets pushed to a new page, and in some cases you can even see a pagebreak in the middle of a long paragraph. This behaviour is not controlled by CSS, and it's probably just a limitation of ADE.
When I've set widows and orphans to 0, I've not seen a problem with the end of the screen page. So I suggest setting widows and orphans to 0 and the problem may go away.