Notices

Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 AM   #46
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Will it work with a Windows emulator maybe?
Probably. I've found that almost all usb devices interface flawlessly in parallels now.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #47
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
Since Amazon has taken down the download link for direct USB upgrades perhaps some kind soul will upload it to a file sharing site (such as Rapidshare)?
If you really have to have it, send me an email. I will try to send it as an attachment from my @mobileread account, which is hosted by gmail.

This is an open offer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #48
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
OK, I'm confused. Thought I'd try the upgrade, so turned on the wireless, waited until got the full number of bars, put it to sleep, waited 15 minutes, but nothing happened.

When I went to settings, still the Ver 1.0 listed. What did I do wrong?
Nothing, apparently they're sending out the upgrade in batches over the next two weeks. At least that's what I think I've read.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookums View Post
Probably. I've found that almost all usb devices interface flawlessly in parallels now.
But, DO NOT use Paralells to update any firmware via the USB. Paralells doesn't always get enough control of the USB port to be able to give the critical timing needed for USB based firmware updates. If you try it, you risk bricking your Kindle or whatever it is you are trying to update. So either Boot Camp or a true Windows system, and then you'll be fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #50
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Kindle v1.0.4 arrived

The Kindle update to 1.0.4 and a new users guide were on my device when I turned it on this morning. I always leave the wireless on so I assume it came in during the night.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Doesn't leaving the wifi on drain the battery way too much?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bwit probably leaves it plugged in every night.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #53
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I got curious, as have not received any email about the update, so dropped amazon an email. Just got a reply that I should get it by 3/7, so obviously it is going to stretch out for a while yet. They said if I have not received it my 3/12, to contact them.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #54
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I also leave my Wireless switch on all the time, and recharge every night. But I have noticed that when my Kindle is in sleep mode (after 10 minutes of inactivity), that the Wireless apparently goes off, since once I bring it out of sleep mode again, it takes maybe 15 seconds for the wireless to show up, so sleep mode must also turn the wireless off for as long as it is in sleep mode.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #55
Hoodwink
Hoodwink began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3g, Kindle v1
Force Update

This is for anyone (like me) who hadn't gotten the update. It was posted in another forum, I tried it, and it worked. Do an Alt + Up Arrow + R + Home. This resets the Kindle and, when I did this, it immediately started the download process. Put it to 'sleep' and wait. You should see it reboot in 20-30 minutes as it applies.
Hoodwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #56
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfw123 View Post
I also leave my Wireless switch on all the time, and recharge every night. But I have noticed that when my Kindle is in sleep mode (after 10 minutes of inactivity), that the Wireless apparently goes off, since once I bring it out of sleep mode again, it takes maybe 15 seconds for the wireless to show up, so sleep mode must also turn the wireless off for as long as it is in sleep mode.
I've noticed this also but it must wake up periodically as my subscriptions are always available when I wake it up in the morning.

I usually charge my Kindle every evening (takes about 20 min) and I always leave the wireless enabled and I have never seen the battery level drop more than a single bar.

Bob
Old 02-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #57
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
This is for anyone (like me) who hadn't gotten the update. It was posted in another forum, I tried it, and it worked. Do an Alt + Up Arrow + R + Home. This resets the Kindle and, when I did this, it immediately started the download process. Put it to 'sleep' and wait. You should see it reboot in 20-30 minutes as it applies.
Make sure your Kindle is fully charged or plugged in before you do this. I assume bad things would happen if your battery went dead while doing this.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #58
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
I usually charge my Kindle every evening (takes about 20 min) and I always leave the wireless enabled and I have never seen the battery level drop more than a single bar.

Bob
How much do you read each day?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #59
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How much do you read each day?
Generally about 2 hours per day.

Are people having a problem with battery life on the Kindle? I know it doesn't get the time between charges the the Sony does but, honestly, going 5 days without a charge is not a requirement for me. So far the longest I've gone without recharging is 2 days and my battery level was just fine. I bought my Kindle on the first day they were available and the only time the wireless has been off is during airplane flights.

Bob
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #60
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't know of any battery problems. It's just that I had assumed that leaving the wireless on all day would drain the battery more.

In comparison, I read about an hour a day and almost always have the wireless off. I usually charge my Kindle once a week.