Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Okay I Looked at the Kindle3

We were in Best Buy Saturday & I saw the Nook display just as we walked into the store. Then I noticed the Kindle display to the side. So of course I had to look. It was just in demo mode but I did get to pick it up & fiddle with the buttons. I have to say I'll take my Nook any day. I don't know if it is because the Nook is my first e-reader but I do like the touch screen a lot better. And holding he kindle it was too easy to hit the menu button & if I held it further up it was too easy to hit the page turning buttons.

I will say the Kindle page turning buttons are more sensitive so turn easier. I'm sure there are other things nice about the Kindle, but as it was only in demo mode I sure wouldn't have been able to tell.

Another thing none of the sales people knew much about either e-reader. But they did say they sold a lot of Nooks. But since they just got in the Kindle, I don't know how they will compare in a couple of weeks.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I with you, I'll take the Nook any day of the week over the Kindle.

but yeah LOL Best Buy and ereaders it's such a joke. But I'm sure they could tell you everything about Apple though. LOL
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
at least in the Best Buy store in my town all the sales people are "kids" college and high school age and I find it remarkable how little they know about the products in the store. I don't buy much of anything from Best Buy anymore.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I also got to play with a Kindle 3 over the weekend. Interface and overall looks I love the nook way better than the Kindle. Perhaps it has to do with the I-like-what-I-know syndrome but I really love my nook. However, screen clarity (obviously due to the pearl screens) and page turns are clearly Amazon's victory without counting battery. Page turns don't bug me as much on the nook but after playing w/ the Kindle I cried a little inside.

However, with all that I would still choose a nook over the kindle 100% of the time IF I could trust the battery a little more. I'm hoping for one more update or a revised nook but the battery life really gets to me specially coming from prs505. I could turn wake that thing up a month later after not using it and still have battery to read while the nook, even in sleep and in airplane mode needs to be charged every week whether i'm using it or not :/
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
My wife has a Kindle 3, I've got a Nook. They're both very nice devices, each has features the other lacks. The most important point - we love reading and have read more having the ereaders!
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I tried out the Kindle 3 and I really liked the hardware. If it supported ePub I would seriously consider it, but I really don't want to have to convert my whole library to mobi.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I agree with Aagstn. I was a long time reader on my Palm Pilot, so I was stuck on .pdb formatted books. When I transitioned to a real reader, I first chose a Sony and then a Nook. To me, it just doesn't make sense to go to a device that only one vendor supports, namely .azw files. I'd rather just stick with .epub. It is pretty and effective. Why make your life more complex than it needs to be?
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I tried out the Kindle 3 and I really liked the hardware. If it supported ePub I would seriously consider it,...

I'd definitely get one if it supported ePub; since it has the features I need - min 3 week battery life, black body, min 4GB storage - and the Nook doesn't (without spending extra money).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

I'd definitely get one if it supported ePub; since it has the features I need - min 3 week battery life, black body, min 4GB storage - and the Nook doesn't (without spending extra money).
According to Kindle forums 14 days battery life is more realistic (wireless off).
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
According to Kindle forums 14 days battery life is more realistic (wireless off).
If that's true, it still kills the Nook's deplorable battery life.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
If that's true, it still kills the Nook's deplorable battery life.
Five days is deplorable? How often do you have to charge your cell phone?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
Five days is deplorable? How often do you have to charge your cell phone?
It is when you're in a remote location with no power.

Cell phone - every 3 to 4 days. But then, it doesn't get used in remote locations (no towers).
Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
It is when you're in a remote location with no power.

Cell phone - every 3 to 4 days. But then, it doesn't get used in remote locations (no towers).

cell phone every three days? You Must have a regular/basic phone. I had the iPhone and now the Droid X and it's every night I have to throw it on the charger.
my laptop can get maybe, maybe 3 hrs. That always has to have the charger plugged in.

The Nook 5 to 8 days deplorabe? Pluuuuuuuuueeeeeeeezzzzz!!!!!!!!:

I have absolutley no issues what so every with the battery life with the nook

Last edited by boswd; 09-29-2010 at 12:50 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
cell phone every three days? You Must have a regular/basic phone. I had the iPhone and now the Droid X and it's every night I have to throw it on the charger.
my laptop can get maybe, maybe 3 hrs. That always has to have the charger plugged in.

The Nook 5 to 8 days deplorabe? Pluuuuuuuuueeeeeeeea!!!!!!!!:

I agree.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

The Nook 5 to 8 days deplorabe? Pluuuuuuuuueeeeeeeezzzzz!!!!!!!!:

I have a 3yo flip phone. The battery is starting to go, so I'll need to renew my contract and get another free one.

If I got the Nook right now, then it would have to stay home on my trips to the back country. That's why I want longer battery life. The Kindle has enough and the Nook doesn't.

How it works for you is irrelevant to my situation.