Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-06-2021, 04:43 AM   #1
r0bis
r0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Boox Note Pro / Linux Laptop
Chance of Viewer on Android?

The viewer is absolutely great, now that it has the ability to create notes (annotations) and store them within EPUB and PDF files.

Is there any chance the e-book Viewer might be ported to Android? That ability to annotate across computers and mobile devices coupled with book management in Calibre would be absolutely unparalleled.
r0bis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the calibre content server, then you can use the viewer directly inside your browser in android or whatever
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
r0bis
r0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thank you. I am looking how to best achieve it and I will document as well. The thing is - I want the notes and highlights that I make to be saved in the library (i.e. within the epub) and so to be available to the next person who reads the book (or myself in the future). I will set up server on my NAS (OMV) and see what I can do.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes and highlights are saved if you create a user account on the server. If th enext person uses the same account they will see the notes andhighlights.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
r0bis

Lightbulb It works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the calibre content server, then you can use the viewer directly inside your browser in android or whatever
WOW!!!

This is quite amazing. The reader seems to live inside the browser. I can read, then disconnect from my home network, still read the book inside that browser tab. I can make notes/highlights there and then when I connect to the home network I can sync the notes to the book. AMAZING!!! And the synced notes are available to another reader on my home network (of course after they sync their instance of the book).

Is it possible also to use the calibre main interface reader from my laptop? I would think to mount the share via sshfs and point the library location there. This way I could add new books also from my main laptop. Or would adding new book interfere with calibre-server on my NAS (OMV)? calibre-server is running as a systemd service (under user calibre account - so everyone would get the same note I guess).
Advert
Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can use th emain viewer on the same comuter you run the server on and have the annotations visible there vy setting which user to sync annotations with in the viewer preferences under miscellaneous.

But you cannot use the main viewer on another computer, for that use the browser viewer.

Tags
calibre, viewer