Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #16
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you mean doing a manual install? If so, the most common reasons for it not to work is that either the downloaded file isn't unpacked, or it was put into the wrong directory.

Otherwise, what happens after you put the file on the device? Does it reboot and appear to be installing the update?
Puzzling. Yes, when I put the file on, the update begins to install -- I can see the device trying to do this (and I've installed firmware before, so know how it's supposed to look). But almost immediately, the install fails and I go to the regular screen. When I check, I'm still on the old firmware.

Thanks for the help thus far, guys. What I'm going to do today is just start over, as maybe I've done something stupid like downloading the wrong version of the firmware or something. Will keep you posted.

Paul
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #17
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How much free space do you have on your Forma?
Haven't checked, but I should have plenty of space. I just don't have that many books on the Forma -- most are on my Aura One.
Advert
Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #18
gilster
Connoisseur

Must have been my own clumsiness. Anyway, second install worked fine. New firmware now in place.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
Svens
Enthusiast
Svens began at the beginning.

Device: Кіndlе5,NGL,PB650, KPW3,KPW4,KPW5, Kobo Aura One
Any solution in this situation?
When one of the built-in languages is selected, for example English - all is OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPEG
Views:	431
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	180179   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPEG
Views:	453
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	180180   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPEG
Views:	429
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	180181  
Svens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilster View Post
Puzzling. Yes, when I put the file on, the update begins to install -- I can see the device trying to do this (and I've installed firmware before, so know how it's supposed to look). But almost immediately, the install fails and I go to the regular screen. When I check, I'm still on the old firmware.

Thanks for the help thus far, guys. What I'm going to do today is just start over, as maybe I've done something stupid like downloading the wrong version of the firmware or something. Will keep you posted.

Paul
You could try downloading the firmware again in case something was wrong with the one you are trying to install.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #21
monic39
monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo H2o 1st + 2, kindle paperwhite 2015
I've deleted this update already. Huge battery drain on my Libra. (wifi and sync. off, no sleepcover etc) 1 hour reading on 4% light and the battery went from 88% to 62% Way too much for 1 hour reading
monic39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #22
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monic39 View Post
I've deleted this update already. Huge battery drain on my Libra. (wifi and sync. off, no sleepcover etc) 1 hour reading on 4% light and the battery went from 88% to 62% Way too much for 1 hour reading
I believe that's a coincidence. I'm not experiencing anything like that on any of my Kobos (with the exception of the Aura, which I can't test since the SD failed and I don't have any spares at the moment), and there's nothing different in libnickel which could cause this from what I have looked at.

Try rebooting and see what happens.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #23
monic39
monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monic39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I believe that's a coincidence. I'm not experiencing anything like that on any of my Kobos (with the exception of the Aura, which I can't test since the SD failed and I don't have any spares at the moment), and there's nothing different in libnickel which could cause this from what I have looked at.

Try rebooting and see what happens.
Tried that multiple times, even a complete reset. But the draining continued. Now with the older firmware back to normal.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #24
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Tried that multiple times, even a complete reset. But the draining continued. Now with the older firmware back to normal.
If it isn't too much trouble, can you send the output of running `top` and `free` through Telnet (enable it by typing devmodeon in the search, connect with "telnet your.kobo.ip" and logging in as root, disable it with devmodeoff) while the draining is happening?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #25
monic39

Don't understand a single thing you ask me But I have no longer the update and i will not go put it back on.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:42 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I know you are finished with this firmware, but...

I am not seeing any issues with the battery runtime on any of my devices. They are all running 4.22.15190. I've read for quite a few hours on both the Libra H2O and Clara HD and they are both fine. The others have mainly been sleeping. Again, no issues.

But, it isn't uncommon for people to report high battery usage after a firmware update. Rebooting the device usually fixes this. It probably means a process was started as part of the upgrade and hung for some reason. The restart kills it.

It's also not uncommon for something like this to be triggered by a particular book. Some have problems in them that when they are opened and closed leave a process behind. A reboot is needed to clear the process. And fixing the book stops the problem from happening again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:23 AM   #27
monic39

Thanks for the replies I will keep the former update for now and maybe there is a time for another update for my device. But for now the older one works great.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@geek1011

When I go to the site to check on the Kobo firmware, I get a 404 error? Is there something wrong or did the URL change? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #29
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@geek1011

When I go to the site to check on the Kobo firmware, I get a 404 error? Is there something wrong or did the URL change? Thanks.
I suspect it's due to an update to his github username, which he's mentioned in the dictutil thread and another thread.

As to how to remedy it, idk unless the URL for the firmware check has his user name in plain text, and you can grab it from the aforementioned threads.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #30
gtim108
Enthusiast
gtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud ofgtim108 has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@geek1011

It's in there now - https://pgaskin.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
gtim108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release