Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
LoganW
Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
Update only books on device with newer versions

Perhaps this is a unique problem or perhaps there is an obvious solution but here's what I'm running into:

I read and edit many books simultaneously and I'm very picky about fixing typos and any formatting issues, no matter how minor. The trouble is that I can't always remember which books I've edited and which I haven't.

So out of say, a dozen books, I would like to be able to "send to device" only those ones in which the library version is newer than the device version and leave those alone for which I already have the most up-to-date version on the device.

I don't know if this is even possible, since the timestamp for Date Modified on the Device is probably the copied timestamp rather than the last-edited timestamp.
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why? just send all books, unless you have a really large number of books on the device, it should cause no issues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I'd make either a Virtual Library of "Books to Edit" with the Books to Edit tag (or whatever floats your boat) OR make a custom column with a yes/no option to show if they've been edited or not.

I know you can create a custom column with date/time but someone else will have to help you if you want that option.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I use the Reading List plugin. I create a list for each device I have. The lists can be set to send the books automatically when the device is attached. When I add or change a book, I put the book in the list for the devices I want it on. When I connect the device, the books are sent and the list is cleared.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
LoganW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why? just send all books, unless you have a really large number of books on the device, it should cause no issues.
Well, in my case I have an Oasis 2 and I'm obsessive about organizing them in collections, so that means manually sorting all of them into collections again, and finding my place in each of them.

First world problems...

By the way Kovid, I've thanked you in the past for Calibre (and donated) but want to do so again. It's amazing and your editor is fantastic. I love it.
Advert
Old 04-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
LoganW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I'd make either a Virtual Library of "Books to Edit" with the Books to Edit tag (or whatever floats your boat) OR make a custom column with a yes/no option to show if they've been edited or not.

I know you can create a custom column with date/time but someone else will have to help you if you want that option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I use the Reading List plugin. I create a list for each device I have. The lists can be set to send the books automatically when the device is attached. When I add or change a book, I put the book in the list for the devices I want it on. When I connect the device, the books are sent and the list is cleared.
Good ideas, thanks!
Old 04-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Odd why would the kindle lose its place/collections on a resend. All sending to a kindle does is copy the book file and that should be indentical to what it was before the resend.

And you're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, newer, update