Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
strace it.

It appears to be using libltdl to wrap dlopen(), so it's probably passing a stupid hardcoded path or something inane like that. libtool is the worst.

EDIT: https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool...interface.html

Seems to hint that it only relies on the environment when *NOT* fed a canonical path.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-22-2020 at 03:50 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #62
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
strace it.

It appears to be using libltdl to wrap dlopen(), so it's probably passing a stupid hardcoded path or something inane like that. libtool is the worst.

EDIT: https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool...interface.html

Seems to hint that it only relies on the environment when *NOT* fed a canonical path.
It appears that strace is on the pw4 and using it I see:

Code:
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/sox", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_CLOEXEC|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
Running strace on my laptop with a similar file shows:

Code:
open("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sox", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_DIRECTORY|O_CLOEXEC) = 4
and

Code:
open("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sox/libsox_fmt_mp3.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 4
This is in the middle of a whole bunch of open attempts for other formats, I don't see where it is getting the list to check.

So this appears to be an attempt on the pw4 to search that particular directory for this file. I guess I could confirm this by putting the file there, but that would not be good for an extension.

Suggestions?

Dave

PS: it appears that sox uses wget under the covers for internet access and that the wget in busybox isn't compatible. So I need to add that to the mix as well.
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, that's what I was afraid of.

Your only cheap viable workaround (short of recompiling to fix/get rid of this nonsense) is to make sure that path exists and contains the right things (I'd go with a symlink).
Old 04-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #64
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, that's what I was afraid of.

Your only cheap viable workaround (short of recompiling to fix/get rid of this nonsense) is to make sure that path exists and contains the right things (I'd go with a symlink).
When I try this I get:

Code:
[root@kindle root]# ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/sox /mnt/us/extensions/sox/lib/sox
ln: /mnt/us/extensions/sox/lib/sox/sox: Operation not permitted
Have I got the syntax wrong or did they restrict the ln in busybox on the pw4? There was no /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi present, so I had to create it first.

Dave

PS: I copied the file where they wanted it and it now works with mp3

Last edited by dhdurgee; 04-22-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #65
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dhdurgee:

I always get ln's args in the wrong order, too, it's *physical target* first, then *new link name* .
I find it utterly confusing, because logically, you represent it the other way around: link => target.

So, in this case, the error is because you can't have symlinks on vfat .
But you can have symlinks pointing *to* vfat.
You'll just have to mntroot rw first, because otherwise you can't *create* anything new in the rootfs, link or otherwise .
Advert
Old 04-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #66
dhdurgee
Guru

I now have success playing an mp3 file using sox:

Code:
[root@kindle sox]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./sox /mnt/us/music/01-Diamond_Star.mp3 -t raw - | /usr/bin/gst-launch -v filesrc location=
/dev/stdin ! 'audio/x-raw-int,endianness=(int)1234,signed=(boolean)true,width=(int)16,depth=(int)16,rate=(int)44100,channels=(int)2'
 ! queue ! mixersink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstCapsFilter:capsfilter0.GstPad:src: caps = audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true, width=(int)16, depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstQueue:queue0.GstPad:sink: caps = audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true, width=(int)16, depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstQueue:queue0.GstPad:src: caps = audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true, width=(int)16, depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/MixerSink:mixersink0.GstPad:sink: caps = audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true, width=(int)16, depth=(int)16, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2
./sox WARN sox: `-' output clipped 144 samples; decrease volume?
Got EOS from element "pipeline0".
Execution ended after 207323062025 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/MixerSink:mixersink0.GstPad:sink: caps = NULL
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstQueue:queue0.GstPad:src: caps = NULL
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstQueue:queue0.GstPad:sink: caps = NULL
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstCapsFilter:capsfilter0.GstPad:src: caps = NULL
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...
[root@kindle sox]#
So it is now possible to play mp3 files with a manually constructed command line. It should be possible to construct it programatically from the output of the soxi command:

Code:
root@kindle sox]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./soxi /mnt/us/music/01-Diamond_Star.mp3 

Input File     : '/mnt/us/music/01-Diamond_Star.mp3'
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 44100
Precision      : 16-bit
Duration       : 00:03:26.92 = 9125172 samples = 15519 CDDA sectors
File Size      : 4.98M
Bit Rate       : 192k
Sample Encoding: MPEG audio (layer I, II or III)
Comments       : 
Title=Diamond Star
Artist=Point Valid with Catherine Asaro
Album=Diamond Star
Tracknumber=01/13
Year=2009
Genre=Alt. Rock

[root@kindle sox]#
My next task is to add a compatible wget and add streaming support to sox here. Once that is working it is time to automate it and then build a KUAL menu.

Dave
Old 04-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!

USBNet ships a fully functional curl build since a few months ago.

It *may* not be symlinked on Kindle if the system ships a stupid one by default, I can't remember .

(Having working SSL/TLS support in these things is mildly non-trivial).
Old 04-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #68
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
USBNet ships a fully functional curl build since a few months ago.

It *may* not be symlinked on Kindle if the system ships a stupid one by default, I can't remember .

(Having working SSL/TLS support in these things is mildly non-trivial).
I might look into this, as I am encountering something strange attempting to get a supported wget for sox. I would prefer to have sox handle it, but it might be necessary.

Something odd came up with wget. I copied the wget from jessie to the pw4 and started tracking down the missing dependencies. Everything seemed fine until I hit one that wasn't there for armel:

Code:
[root@kindle sox]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./wget
./wget: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[root@kindle sox]#
This library is listed in Jessie, but only for amd64 and is an International Components for Unicode library.

So I am puzzled how to continue at this point. I guess I could retrieve the amd64 library, but would that solve the problem or cause a compatibility crash of some sort?

Dave
Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 PM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Hmm, wget pulling ICU is highly unusual/bogus.

It's probably pulled by something else (my bet would be on glib or a glib component), something that wget itself may not actually be pulling.

Check the output from lddtree (requires recent USBNet+Python snapshots).

(And, of course, you cannot use binaries targeting a different arch).
Old 04-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #70
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
. . .

Code:
./wget: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[root@kindle sox]#
This library is listed in Jessie, but only for amd64 and is an International Components for Unicode library.
. . .
You will have to pull the source code package from Debian and build it for ARMel.

Assuming amd64 on your main system (running a Linux) can emulate other processors (including ARM).
Your Kindle (running Amazon/Linux) can not.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #71
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You will have to pull the source code package from Debian and build it for ARMel.

Assuming amd64 on your main system (running a Linux) can emulate other processors (including ARM).
Your Kindle (running Amazon/Linux) can not.
Turns out this was not necessary. I was not searching correctly and finally located the missing library in Jessie armel and got two dependencies onto the pw4. Now I am trying to figure out why the now available wget isn't being called:

Code:
[root@kindle sox]# pwd
/mnt/us/extensions/sox
[root@kindle sox]# echo $PATH
.:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
./wget: /lib/libuuid.so.1: no version information available (required by ./wget)
wget: missing URL
Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

Try `wget --help' for more options.
[root@kindle sox]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./soxi http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WWRCAMAAC.pls
wget: unrecognized option '--no-check-certificate'
BusyBox v1.17.1 (2018-11-27 03:29:06 PST) multi-call binary.

Usage: wget [-csq] [-O FILE] [-Y on/off] [-P DIR] [-U AGENT] URL

Retrieve files via HTTP or FTP

Options:
	-s	Spider mode - only check file existence
	-c	Continue retrieval of aborted transfer
	-q	Quiet
	-P	Set directory prefix to DIR
	-O FILE	Save to FILE ('-' for stdout)
	-U STR	Use STR for User-Agent header
	-Y	Use proxy ('on' or 'off')

./soxi FAIL formats: error reading playlist file URL `http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WWRCAMAAC.pls'
[root@kindle sox]#
I added the current directory to the front of the path, so it should have been used instead of the busybox one. What did I miss?

Dave
Old 04-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #72
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You know what my answer's going to be, right?

... strace it ;p.

IIRC, the fact that busybox is a multi-call binary and how the symlinks are setup + vfat and the fuse layer proxy can lead to puzzling results when trying these sort of things...
Old 04-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #73
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
You know what my answer's going to be, right?

... strace it ;p.

IIRC, the fact that busybox is a multi-call binary and how the symlinks are setup + vfat and the fuse layer proxy can lead to puzzling results when trying these sort of things...
Looks like this might not be necessary. I just tried what I was hoping to do on my laptop and find that it doesn't even work there. A search on the mailing list for SoX appears to show that I will need an outboard call of wget to make it work, as in:

wget -q -0- <URL> | play -t <type> -

This complicates things, as I usually want to pass a URL for a playlist as opposed to a single stream. It also seems problemic to get the details from a stream as soxi returns:

soxi FAIL formats: can't determine type of file URL `http://19313.live.streamtheworld.com:80/WMALFMAAC_SC'

Those details are necessary to build the gst-launch pipeline, so unless I am going to force an output format this is a problem.

Dave
Old 04-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The schema shown (http:) uses port 80 as its default.
You can drop the ":80" from that url, which might help with the error message.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #75
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The schema shown (http uses port 80 as its default.
You can drop the ":80" from that url, which might help with the error message.
I will try this in the future. In the meantime I must correct an earlier statement, I WAS able to use the sox "play" on my laptop to play an internet radio stream. It turns out that sox can't determine the format of the stream and that AAC streams are not supported, but other than that it worked. The command that worked on my laptop was:

play -t mp3 http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KSKYAM.pls

This took several seconds to start, as the URL returns a playlist and it appears that sox checks the individual links before it starts playing. This command is unusable on the pw4, as there is no default sound device, even once I get the wget situation sorted out. But the sox command version should be usable once wget works properly.

Unfortunately soxi cannot return information on the stream format, so unless you know that ahead of time it will be impossible to build the gst-launch pipeline.

So at this point it should be possible to programatically play any file on the pw4 that sox recognizes and soxi will return the information required to build the gst-launch pipeline. I guess I should create a shell script to do so as the next step.

Getting sox to use a version of wget other than the the busybox version will be necessary before internet streams can be played, and even at that point the format will need to be known ahead of time to build the gst-launch pipeline and the sox command line.

Dave

Tags
audiobook, bluetooth, jailbreak, m4b, mp3