Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
Sync books across multiple devices?

Hello, is there an ereader app that will sync book files across multiple iOS devices?

I normally use Marvin on iPhone and Moon+ on Android. Marvin does sync your reading position, but a book added on one device does not show up on the other. I now have a second iOS device and would like this. I looked into Mapleread but it didn’t seem like it synced actual book files either.

Thanks.
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Any reason you don't use iBooks?
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
None do what you ask, automatically download a book file. If you use iBook, then it will store the ebook in the cloud so you can easily download. iBook will also automatically sync when you use iTunes to sync the ios device and tell it to sync ebooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Any reason you don't use iBooks?
A few years ago, I far preferred Marvin for customization options, but I haven’t checked out iBooks in a while.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
None do what you ask, automatically download a book file. If you use iBook, then it will store the ebook in the cloud so you can easily download. iBook will also automatically sync when you use iTunes to sync the ios device and tell it to sync ebooks.
Kind of thought that’d be the case. I don’t sync via iTunes often and i add from online and a Dropbox primarily. Thanks for the info.
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
Hello, is there an ereader app that will sync book files across multiple iOS devices?

I normally use Marvin on iPhone and Moon+ on Android. Marvin does sync your reading position, but a book added on one device does not show up on the other. I now have a second iOS device and would like this. I looked into Mapleread but it didn’t seem like it synced actual book files either.

Thanks.
Hyphen Reader will do this. If you add a book to one device, it will show up on your other devices, but with a cloud icon. Tap the cloud and it will download to the second device and open to your current reading location.

(Hyphen is my preferred iOS ereading app, followed by MapleRead, then Marvin)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Kind of thought that’d be the case. I don’t sync via iTunes often and i add from online and a Dropbox primarily. Thanks for the info.
You can also sync with iCloud, no iTunes required.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
I was wondering about that this morning; glad to have it confirmed. I'll have to explore that. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Hyphen Reader will do this. If you add a book to one device, it will show up on your other devices, but with a cloud icon. Tap the cloud and it will download to the second device and open to your current reading location.

(Hyphen is my preferred iOS ereading app, followed by MapleRead, then Marvin)
Great, thank you. I'll check it out. I'm also glad to hear it's your preferred reader in that case. I'm a little picky.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Is there a setting within Marvin to enable the iCloud sync? In the Settings app under iCloud,it looks like Marvin is connected but I’m not seeing an option within Marvin itself. I didn’t see an option to send/share a specific book either.

I want to make sure im understanding the iCloud piece so, to clarify - Marvin is linked to Dropbox and can add a book from there. If iCloud is syncing, it will sync to the cloud any books that are added to Marvin from DB. If I open Marvin on my other device, they will auto download from the cloud to that device.

Thanks for your help,
Old 12-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I see no setting for marvin. Open settings in your iPhone or iPad. Scroll down to iBooks and tap on it. The Sync options are Bookmarks and Notes, Collections.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #12
saiyogo
saiyogo began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5, Kindle Voyage
FBReader for iOS can also sync books between devices using Google Drive.
saiyogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Great, thank you. I'll check it out. I'm also glad to hear it's your preferred reader in that case. I'm a little picky.
I'm another Hyphenreader fan, for exactly the reason you are looking. It syncs between iOS devices beautifully, and so easy to get the books because it remembers where they came from and stores that info in Dropbox (which I what I use, cant remember if it also does iCloud). Having the book download in a new device and auto open to your last read place is a joy.

Another feature I like is that it can be connected to Goodreads, without which I would never remember which books I had read, and when. This might not be an issue for many, but my memory seems to fail me more as I age and being able to register -via Hyphenreader- a book as being read, want to read or finished on Goodreads means I dont need to store tons of books on the device in order to keep tabs. Love it.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-22-2017 at 10:40 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Nook, Kinde iBook apps sync everything accross devices
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:41 AM   #15
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
What is wrong with microSD? Clouds are unreliable as a matter of principle.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ios